PDA

View Full Version : 8 3/4 for Jeep

NeoAnderson
11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi there.
I got a 97 TJ and would like advice on why or why not to put an 8 3/4 dodge rearend in my jeep.
I know all about the 8.8 and would gladly do it but i have a line on the right width 8 3/4 for cheap and don't see why i couldn't do it instead.

Squishy
11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
wouldnt the dodge be a fullwidth rear end?

NeoAnderson
11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
wouldnt the dodge be a fullwidth rear end?

Not in this case...a rearend from a 68 to 70 B-body is what fits.
They are exact same dimensions as 8.8 in Exploders....but of course..no disc brakes.
Personally don't mind not having the disc brakes for what i do anyways.

DirtyComanche
11-09-2006, 05:39 PM
It's been done before. I know a guy with a MJ that's runnign around with one.

Seems like a decent idea. No stupid crap to figure out.

NeoAnderson
11-09-2006, 07:39 PM
It's been done before. I know a guy with an MJ that's running around with one.

Seems like a decent idea. No stupid crap to figure out.

Yes.
I've done a bit of research on this and so far it looks like this.
-68 to 7- B-body rear is same as 8.8 exploder(62 to 65 is same too but has weak spindle type setup similar to AMC20 diffs/66-67 are slightly narrower but would work too if thats what yer after..harder to find though)
-10inch drum brakes same as jeep(readily available shoes too)also..upgradeable to 11inch from the right car or truck
-same bolt pattern as jeep
-e-brake cables click right in(no adapter kit to buy)
-brake lines are a complete bolt in(including t-block with vent)
-cheaper overall cost to put in
-LOTS of choices in gearing and lockers,etc
-no c-clips to worry bout or eliminate for $$$
-I can make the brackets and stuff at work for zero dollars
-i can weld it at a buddys for zero dollars(my welder is only a hobart 120..not strong enough)

only expensive part is the third member which i estimate i can get for around 500.00 or so(clutch posi with 4.10s low miles)

-only other thing i gotta get fabbed is a custom driveshaft..cuz the dodge u-joint is bigger than the jeep one and i have run the combo joint in the past and had bad results so i want it proper this time.

Thats about all i can figure at this point..i hope i'm not missing anything.
:rolleyes:
-

Explorer guy418
11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
screw that dodge rear just go 8.8 same bolt pattern.

NeoAnderson
11-09-2006, 07:59 PM

ummm...NO
why pay more when i can get just as good for less.

DirtyComanche
11-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Actually, if the whole setup is to cost you about $600, I'd go with an 8.8. I picked mine up for $500 or something, 4.10s, LSD, working disk brakes, will bolt to a jeep driveshaft with the companion flange... Was a low milage axle and everything else... And the c-clips aren't a huge deal.

Just, the only thing is that the axle cost me a lot more than that in the end (bought new brakes, blew up a seal that I didn't feel like fixing myself, and I didn't do the welding on it myself).

The 8.75 is a good axle, just, the whole $500 for a third seems a little silly. If you can get one cheaper, I'd go for it.

Leithmc
11-10-2006, 11:22 AM

If it's from a b-body it has the right bolt pattern already and it's just as bullet proof.

Leith