PDA

View Full Version : you're intakes

tenpack
11-09-2006, 06:42 AM
so im wondering what kind of intakes you v8 gasser guys are running. A lot of the stock trucks( at least chevs) have the intake surrounded in a metal case with a single tube like this

http://hometown.aol.com/chuckfinucane/images/60%20chevy%20(engine).jpg

but i'd rather run an open air element, but i dont want to take a drink since its well, open, plus the trucks got a 3'' body lift. I'm thinking a good prefilter, but the more i thinkbout it dont wanna let the engine take a drink.

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/specs/327/DSCF1854.png

I'm thinking a good prefilter, but the more i thinkbout it dont wanna let the engine take a drink.

Any one used the stock case and just added a big/more intake tubes? CHeers

HEAVY METAL
11-09-2006, 06:56 AM
i run the k&n filter 14 x 3 and a foam k&n pre wrap... never had a problem and have had my truck deep numerous times...

my advice with bodylifts.... you HAVE to remmeber that ur engine is sitting three inches lowerthen the rest of ur truck.......where before it would have been ok to have water come over ur hood....with the body lift you'll suck in water

jakerngr
11-09-2006, 07:22 AM
on my old truck i put an intake tube off of a v8 cherokee and ran a cone filter off to the side.

82F150
11-09-2006, 09:26 AM
i was runnin a 14 x 3 K&N...it didnt even like runnin in the rain or snow... i put the stock on back on...whats the "foam k&n pre wrap" cause i wouldn't mind goin back to my K&N... or the v8 cherokee tube.. does that fit over a carb? cause if it does im goin snorkeling

In The Zone
11-09-2006, 09:31 AM
multiport efi....... with custom air intake on both FORDS
fuk the stock crap.............

TWOZEROFOUR
11-09-2006, 05:19 PM
That's a sick 409 in the first pic, is that in a chevy pick up? looks like a early 80's , that guy knows whuts up with the motor swaps.. those are pretty much the coolest chevy V8 ever made!!! real hard to come by.

MetalMan
11-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Foam prefilters are not a great idea. The foam really holds the water, it will get more waterlogged than the paper filter.

As for housings with tubes and such, that's an aircleaner...and it's on the carb, which is on the intake. So this is actually a question about air cleaners, not intakes.

Air cleaners in general are not an issue for most motors, because there aren't many stock motors that need more than the stock air cleaner. A well-modified engine may need something more. But stock air cleaner housings with the tubes have an advantage in that it's super easy to make a snorkel with them. Most have one tube, some have two, which would be nice for a modded engine. You can run dual snorkels. You can also use them to build ram air systems, although that's highly unadvisable for a bushbeast... If you just have a stock aircleaner with an open tube, drill a couple holes in the bottom around the filter for water to drain and point the tube backwards. Not likely you'll get water in there unless you submerge it, and either way it can at least drain out.

So basically, run whatever you want. Unless you've got a done-up mill, basically anything will work. But I still wouldn't run a foam prefilter.

jakerngr
11-09-2006, 07:58 PM
i was runnin a 14 x 3 K&N...it didnt even like runnin in the rain or snow... i put the stock on back on...whats the "foam k&n pre wrap" cause i wouldn't mind goin back to my K&N... or the v8 cherokee tube.. does that fit over a carb? cause if it does im goin snorkeling

if you get one of those 3 inch risers off the carb it fits perfectly on there and just tighten it down with the wing nut in the center like a regular filter housing. then you can place your cone filter wherever you want. or you can even use an air box with a k&n. it worked great for me.

Mobular
11-13-2006, 10:20 AM
That's a sick 409 in the first pic, is that in a chevy pick up? looks like a early 80's.

Way earlier than that. Note the generator....not an alternator which was last used in '62. Single reservior brake master with screw on cap...last used in 61. Corrugated tin fan shroud...again early 60s at best.

Chewtoy
11-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Someone used to make a shield that wrapped around an open element air filter... kinda like the racers with their duct tape. It would effectively block the front of the filter from any water and debris. It looked like air could travel past it enough that airflow wouldn't be greatly affected, but who knows. Best setup I've seen is a stock cleaner with an intake hose that got routed through the firewall so it took air from inside the cab... you would have to be getting wet before your air cleaner would.