PDA

View Full Version : 4cyl ranger Q?

Squishy
11-09-2006, 12:29 AM
how reliable are the 4cyl ranger motors? do they last a long time? decent on gas? easy to work on? ive got a chance to get a 90 4cyl 5 speed ranger 4x4 as a dd, sell the mustang, and put the cash into the truck(b2), and with a ranger, id be out every weekend(and not worrying about a vi)

mikey told me they beat the piss out of one before in a mustang or something, and didnt kill it, so they cant be too bad.

so any knowledge on them is appreciated

[cheers]

Jroc
11-09-2006, 05:43 AM
i had a couple buddys that used to beat on the older rangers they couldnt kill them, well until they both rolled them that is

bakelite
11-09-2006, 05:57 AM
I had an older one, 87 or so, beat the crap outta it and it always ran good...gutless but ran [cheers]

tenpack
11-09-2006, 06:24 AM
my bud has one. He got it rebuilt, he got a custom lumpy cam made, got one of those chips for his ECM, blah blah blah. Its a great motor, real good on gas, their downsides are no power and they tend to take a drink due to where the intake is.

Pudge
11-09-2006, 08:06 AM
a buddy of mine bought one new in 90, put 350,000ish on it and sold it. Still runs for the guy who bought it.

In The Zone
11-09-2006, 09:18 AM
gutless so u need to keep it between 3500 -5000 other than thta i have heard they are a good runner..

4doorShorty
11-09-2006, 09:50 AM
I had one in my mustang when I was 16. Tried to kill it so I could tell my dad it needed a new engine anyway, might as well drop a v8 in. Well with no oil and no coolant it was overheating in Rutland, I drove it all the way back to Winfield...while I was cruising around the 'buck the engine was so dry my pistons were scuffing on the cylinders so bad it would bog the engine down. I drove like that all night. The next morning it fired up fine so I mixed some gear oil in with some 10-w30, put it in the engine and fired it back up. That thing didnt even tick or rattle.

Only down side has been mentioned, they are gutless and need to rev. For a DD engine you'll be good, they will move a ranger around town and down the highway alright and get good mileage doing so. I would pick one over any older V6 Ford ever made.
The engine youre talking about is the 2.3L OHV, the one in cars is totally different. Its the 2.3L HSC, some external parts might fit, but the internals are all different...fyi incase youre going to grab a part at a u-pull it yard.

Big_Ern
11-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Don't do it. I dunno about you squish, but I like having something fun to drive during the week -- only downside is not being able to haul parts for the truck. But driving a gutless pos that rides like crap all week sucks.

Squishy
11-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Don't do it. I dunno about you squish, but I like having something fun to drive during the week -- only downside is not being able to haul parts for the truck. But driving a gutless pos that rides like crap all week sucks.

hey,this aint no toyota, it rides fine[22], a ranger is fine for a daily driver(id drive one as of now over the mustang)

In The Zone
11-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I would pick one over any older V6 Ford ever made. he is buying the truck with the 4banger... not putting one in...

Dude good for u 4 bangers are for newbs anyways....[f]only way to make torque is with gearing in any small motor..

i got a 2.9 in my BII with 395,000 km has had a cracked head for 4months now i have tried to kill it but the thing just wont stop... it's happy place is 4000-5500 prm for the last 4months[15]aint nothing wrong with the 60dg v6

just waiting to drop the v8 in....

Nile
11-09-2006, 02:21 PM
gutless so u need to keep it between 3500 -5000 other than thta i have heard they are a good runner..

yea i have heard that too