PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Help!

BeerBaron666
11-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok people we are have a problem with our 96 Grand, the battery keeps going dead on us. It seems to have a drain some where but I can't seem to find it, the battery is good and charges adn the Alt. is working but if it sits overnight it goes dead with our with out the alarm on. I was wondering if this a commen problem on these things and help here would be great its really starting to piss me off[16]

factor
11-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Ive never had a alarm that didn't screw up something
most of them guys that wire that kinda stuff are ass-hats
right Phil[f]

mini
11-08-2006, 05:50 PM
:D well your first problem is a jeep [f] other than that i dunno

someone had to say it

Suz
11-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Call Jeep Thrils ;) ............

Trouble
11-08-2006, 05:53 PM
I think it's pick on Phil day....

and sorry can't help ya about the alarm...[cheers]

UU
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Start checking grounds and for exposed wires shorting out, I know it sucks but .............

mini
11-08-2006, 06:02 PM
esspecially the ones tha go throught the firewall where there may not be a grommet

Always broke
11-08-2006, 06:17 PM
There is an easy way to figure out where the drain is coming from take the ground off the battery put a test light between the wire and the battery .....Keep pulling out fuses until the light goes out that will tell you at least where the drain is coming from once the light goes out check the panel to see which system has the drain .....

If the light doesn't go on when you start this procedure then you got a pooched battery ..

Hope this helps[cheers]

Princess
11-08-2006, 06:26 PM
There is an easy way to figure out where the drain is coming from take the ground off the battery put a test light between the wire and the battery .....Keep pulling out fuses until the light goes out that will tell you at least where the drain is coming from once the light goes out check the panel to see which system has the drain .....

If the light doesn't go on when you start this procedure then you got a pooched battery ..

Hope this helps[cheers]

ya thats what we started to do the battery is good, light does go on. there are two fuse panels, one inside the truck and one by the firewall under the hood??? since we have no owners manual we dont know which fuse is for what on the panel under the hood [16] been tryin to locate a fuse panel diagram but cant seem to find one

does anyone know of a site or something that might have this info????

Always broke
11-08-2006, 06:38 PM
You can get complete wiring diagrams at the library for free[cheers]

Princess
11-08-2006, 06:41 PM
You can get complete wiring diagrams at the library for free[cheers]

ya but my truck wont start [f]

Always broke
11-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Where ya at i'll come fix it tommorrow unless your in Abbotsford[cheers]

Nutbar
11-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Trina did you look at the under side of the cover on the fuse box under the hood it should have all fuses and relays labeled there.

J20
11-08-2006, 07:14 PM
best way it to put a multi meter across the neg terminal and see the amps its drawing...............i used to work for a jeep dealer and it could be a whole loto stuff...............good luck dude........there should be a fuse panel and one end of the dash (i think) and the distrubution center under the hood........

DirtyComanche
11-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Jeep wiring is qality (yes, there's no 'u').

I suggest buying a keg, inviting some friends over, and making the best of it.

Princess
11-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Where ya at i'll come fix it tommorrow unless your in Abbotsford[cheers]

Vancouver :(

i'd come to Abby but.....................

my truck wont start [15]

Nutbar
11-08-2006, 08:13 PM
No Renault wiring is quality which is what you have Comanche the rest of the Jeeps are not bad.

harleyfatboy99ca
11-08-2006, 08:25 PM
In my '89 Cherokee my battery would go dead overnight. The light switches in the Cherokee's are famous for shorting out. Replaced the switch, and it was fine. Good luck.

Princess
11-08-2006, 08:38 PM
In my '89 Cherokee my battery would go dead overnight. The light switches in the Cherokee's are famous for shorting out. Replaced the switch, and it was fine. Good luck.

[cheers]

will get shawn to check that out

MikeWild
11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm in Burnaby and work downtown Van, if you need me to come by and give you boost let me know, winching's not the only thing I can do! :D

Princess
11-08-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm in Burnaby and work downtown Van, if you need me to come by and give you boost let me know, winching's not the only thing I can do! :D

HEY thats a secret [Shhh]

[cheers]

thats why i got the spare battery in the back, to jump start the truck if i have to [16]

MikeWild
11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Well I kept it secret for just about three months! It was killing me inside! I had to spill the beans :D :D

In The Zone
11-08-2006, 11:52 PM
it is a JEEP welcome to my world [15]

seriously do what todd said then go from there if it kills it over night then the amp draw must be suffeicent to kill it can only be a few things is the battery good did u load test it ?
good luck

Princess
11-09-2006, 12:13 AM
it is a JEEP welcome to my world [15]

seriously do what todd said then go from there if it kills it over night then the amp draw must be suffeicent to kill it can only be a few things is the battery good did u load test it ?
good luck

dude it's ALWAYS been my world remember? [f] [15]

ya the battery is good, we did what Todd suggested and when we found the fuse thats causin the prob, well under the fuse panel all it says is "refer to owners manual" WE DONT HAVE ONE [16] figures.... so we dont know what is causing the draw

J20
11-09-2006, 12:15 AM
if you know the fuse # and location i can look it up on the shop key............

Princess
11-09-2006, 12:21 AM
if you know the fuse # and location i can look it up on the shop key............

i dont but shawn might and well he's not home right now [15]

i'll ask him and get back to ya on that [cheers]

J20
11-09-2006, 12:41 AM
ive been trying to find ya a fuse location diagram on shop key but i cant seem to find one................sorry dudes i guess the library is your next best bet........................

Princess
11-09-2006, 12:44 AM
ive been trying to find ya a fuse location diagram on shop key but i cant seem to find one................sorry dudes i guess the library is your next best bet........................

[cheers] thanks anyhow :D

In The Zone
11-09-2006, 10:36 AM
just keep that fuse pulled then u will find out what it operates eventually ...

most fuse panels or covers will have a schematic on them of some sort.....

it is a JEEP u would understand.........