PDA

View Full Version : alternators

outlawsauto
11-07-2006, 01:00 AM
i have a 83 yota with 8 inch lift and all that and recently while wheeling at eagle lost my alternator like it stoped working has any one else had this problem i know its in a prime location for water to get in it and stuff im thinkin about re locating it or is it just a fluke it hapind while in the bush thanks Nick

epic3
11-07-2006, 01:24 AM
umm 23 year old alts do tend to die
but if its only water then once it dries it should work just fine

Stetson
11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
umm 23 year old alts do tend to die
but if its only water then once it dries it should work just fine

[stupid] my .02, went through 4 bosch pieces of crap that each only lasted a day to a month, then I got a wilson, definatly recomend paying the extra for the Wilson

Tmax
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
i used to run AC/delco alts in my old toys. work great and cheaper than the stock toy one.

outlawsauto
11-07-2006, 01:20 PM
this alternator isnt 23 years old its 4 months old and lookin at the receipst from the previouse owner it has gone threw a few of them

Always broke
11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Ditch the stock one get a single wire Chevy alt and mount it up higher they will last forever that way[cheers]

Toyquad
11-07-2006, 05:32 PM
mud and dirt like to eat the brushes in the alt. I've had mine under water lots. once they dry up they are usualy fine.

Toyquad
11-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Ditch the stock one get a single wire Chevy alt and mount it up higher they will last forever that way[cheers]

kinda hard to mount it up any higher..... p/s pump is right above it. unless you wanna make some custom brackets and mount it on the other side of the engine.... but then the intake would be in the way........ but chevy alt is a good idea.

StillRYE
11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
[stupid] or you can use an old style ford one it will basically bolt on if you get the adjusting arm off a 460 you can buy a one wire powermaster one cheaper then a stock toyota one and its 100 amps that is what I am goin to do. I had it mokked up before I put the engine in the truck unfortunately it wasnt my alt. so i had to order one

I went through 3 professionally rebuilt alt. a couple summers ago in the span of about a month so i put a small belly pan under the engine and I have been running the same one ever since, it seems as soon as you get into any kind of mud it plugs em up really easy.

Always broke
11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
kinda hard to mount it up any higher..... p/s pump is right above it. unless you wanna make some custom brackets and mount it on the other side of the engine.... but then the intake would be in the way........ but chevy alt is a good idea.Just mount it on the other side it's really easy[cheers]

SilverCherry
11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
we had quite the problem with our alternator. We went thru three of them I think before we found one that worked. We kept getting crap ones!!

wade and cleatus
11-09-2006, 04:15 PM
[stupid] or you can use an old style ford one it will basically bolt on if you get the adjusting arm off a 460 you can buy a one wire powermaster one cheaper then a stock toyota one and its 100 amps that is what I am goin to do. I had it mokked up before I put the engine in the truck unfortunately it wasnt my alt. so i had to order one

I went through 3 professionally rebuilt alt. a couple summers ago in the span of about a month so i put a small belly pan under the engine and I have been running the same one ever since, it seems as soon as you get into any kind of mud it plugs em up really easy.
Good point on the belly pan, toy's came with them but most people take em off and never put em back.