PDA

View Full Version : High Idol

4x4fun
11-06-2006, 09:23 PM
hey, i got an 89 chev with a 4.3l 6 cylinder. The engine idols fine when it is at a medium tempature but once the engine warms up to regular temp it starts to idol high. Also when i just started driving the other week i had an external coolant leak, looked like it came from the rad cap but im not to sure, checked all the hoses they looked fine so i dont know what thats about. i filled it back up and there has been no problems since.Ive check the thermostate, not to sure what else to check. just wondering what you think it might be, i just want to get rid of the high idol. thanks for the help.

Now i get in my car, try to start, and it turns, theres spark to the distrubutor, there is gas, but it wont turn over. what else can i check, what could it be and how do i check it?

ottoman
11-06-2006, 09:58 PM
if the coolant gets low it can't reach the temp sending unit to tell the comp. the engine is at op. temp so it kicks in the choke circut

4x4fun
11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
the only thing i didnt get is that there was quite a bit of coolant in the over flow, why wouldnt that go back into the rad. and is all your saying i have to make sure the coolant is toped up?

jakerngr
11-07-2006, 02:40 PM
[stupid] if your cap is toast it wont transfer back and forth properly or at all. you probably be low too. check your coolant temp sensor too