PDA

View Full Version : Multi Mount winch or no

82F150
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
so ive got my warn 8274 sittin at home and im tryin to decide whether i should make it multi mount front and rear or just mount the damn thing on the front

all opinions would be appreciated

- Travis

Tmax
11-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I use my rear winch more often than the front one. having said that if I had a choice of having one, it'll be up front. moving the winch back and forth is lots of work. you don't wanna be dragging a heavy winch around on the brutal days when the whole day is a gong show. the receiver hitch set ups and the connections don't work that good either so I would mount it permanently up front and look for a second winch for the back in the future.

Big_Ern
11-06-2006, 01:02 PM
[stupid] (i don't have a rear winch though)

thats a heavy fuckin winch to be moving around.

Altho you could do a multimount and have it sitting in the reciever up front all the time, and then if you absolutely need it in the rear you can move it. But I wouldn't store it in the box or anything like that, because putting it on when you're stuck somewhere bad is gonna suck. Don't forget it at home either... seen a few guys do that.

82F150
11-06-2006, 02:27 PM
ya... the weight is somethign i was thinkin about... luggin it around in the mud would be fun tho... haha.. leave it at home... easy enough to do i spose

m j
11-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I like a rear mounted winch. I have one under the bed of my chev.
I do not like adding wieght to the nose and anytime I needed a winch it was to get out of trouble not deeper into it.
there is no room under the Bronco for one so I am stuck with finding a way to mount one up front.

factor
11-06-2006, 07:01 PM
if its in a receiver it would be a lot easer for some crackhead to steal it
bolted to a bumper its not going nowhere

82F150
11-07-2006, 09:33 AM
hmm...thanks guys.. i seen a 12000lb and a bumper for sale a bit ago.. i think ill call that guy and see if hes got and what hes looken for for it... maybe pick that up and mount the 8000 on the back sometime... and ya if i multi mount ill use a locking hitch pin anyway..the only thing i can see being annoying is it bumpin around in the receiver, could put some set screws in there but that means more pain in the butt in the bush

Chewtoy
11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
8274 In a mulitmount setup?.... IMO, no way. I sure in the hell wouldn't wanna lug it around the truck all day... I don't like carrying just the winch, nevermind a mounting system to boot. Some things to consider.... are you gonna be able to move the winch if you need to? If the front end goes into mud, or there is a rock in front of the reciever, and the winch is on the back, guess which way you are gonna be pulling. You can always leave it at home where it's safer, but what if you suddenly need it? It's a novel idea, and I can definitely see the advantages of it, but I would kee my eyes open for a cheap second winch to mount on the rear. And you'd be surprised how much you would wanna winch from the back when you have one there. No turning around on trails to get the truck behind you... no worries if truck behind you has a winch, as long as it has a place to hook yours to. All kinds of options. I once had to leave my truck on top of 8 feet of snow overnight because the treeline I had been winching to had a gap that I couldn't reach past going forwards... but there were lots behind me that I could have used if I had a winch back there.

epic3
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
[15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] are yu Superman????
I dont think you`ll be wantin to carry around that winch on a reciever thats gonna be in excess of 200 pounds just mount it up front cus your beggin to crush a toe otherwise[cheers]