PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhhhh!!

tmh84
11-05-2006, 01:00 PM
alright so i have a 77 Blazer that i just put a rebuilt transmission in and my rear driveshaft isn't turning. If i lock the hubs the front will move my truck well enough to drive around the block but it has little power.My transfer case is a NP203 that i just had laying around and i assume that this means i need a new one. Please help me[j] [j] [j]

InteriorZR2
11-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Its been a while, but I am pretty sure that the NP203 is a full time 4wd case. Which means that you always have to have the front locked in, or all of the power will be diverted to the front output of the case, and your rear shaft will not turn. What happens when your hubs are unlocked, and the tcase is in the "full time" (or something like that) setting. Guess is that the front driveshaft is spinning. You can also try putting the tcase in 4wh high or low, and unlock the hubs. That should put equal amounts of power to both outputs and allow you to run on the rear shaft. Then again I could be drinking again so..... Good luck.

ShortStack
11-05-2006, 03:40 PM
How did you set the transfer case linkage? Did you use the cotter pin to line it up?

Also check the modulator hose on top of the tranny. It wont let your tranny shift and I think you'll go about 30 or feel like theres no power. when the truck is moving on 4x does it upshift at all? Do you have the part time kit in the transfer case?

I"m forgetting something but i'm distracted .... hope that helps a bit

tmh84
11-05-2006, 04:47 PM
i didn't set the linkage, it was all together so i just threw it in, and it is supposed to be full time 4wd it says, and on the drivers side at the top of the tranny there is a small hole that keeps spitting out lotsa tranny fluid but it still shifts and i have no idea what is supposed to go there i just assumed its some sort of breather.

tmh84
11-05-2006, 04:49 PM
thank you for the info... if i want to run without being in 4wd all the time is there another transfer case i should get or where do i get the part time kit that you mentioned? Thanks again

InteriorZR2
11-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah, u can put a part time kit in your tcase, or you can use a NP 205, or NP208. I beleive you will have to change the tail housing on your tranny to bolt up to a new case. The 205 is stronger, stronger housing, and gear driven, whereas the 208 is lighter, and chain driven. Both are part time cases.

InteriorZR2
11-12-2006, 11:29 AM
I actually have a NP208 and tranny adapter if you decide to go that way.

THE BIG MUDDER
11-12-2006, 05:00 PM
a np or new prosesed are part time 4wd either your linkage is out of alignment or your part time adapter blew take off back view plate and see a 203 is stronger than a 205 but you must run tranny fluid not gear oil because of the viscosity the chain needs a thin oil a chain can handle shock loading better than a gear [cheers]

kootenaycat
11-12-2006, 11:05 PM
a np or new prosesed are part time 4wd either your linkage is out of alignment or your part time adapter blew take off back view plate and see a 203 is stronger than a 205 but you must run tranny fluid not gear oil because of the viscosity the chain needs a thin oil a chain can handle shock loading better than a gear [cheers]

Last time I checked, not all NP's are part time, ie: 203 = fulltime.

For now, just put it in hi-lock and unlock the front hubs. The front driveshaft will still turn, but you will have rear wheel power, hopefully!

ottoman
11-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Last time I checked, not all NP's are part time, ie: 203 = fulltime.

For now, just put it in hi-lock and unlock the front hubs. The front driveshaft will still turn, but you will have rear wheel power, hopefully!

[stupid] 203 is fulltime unless you put in the part time kit

tmh84
11-20-2006, 09:42 PM
thank you everyone i'm gonna throw my old transfer case in and hope that it has the part time kit because i tried everything with this one and it does not turn the rear driveshaft. If i unlock the front hubs it doesnt move and if i lock them and floor it just the front tires kick up dirt and it goes sooooooooooo slow. All of your assistance is very much appreciated. thanks again