PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!

lizard
11-04-2006, 07:13 PM
SHIT!

Iam going up north hunting next weekend so I figure I better change my leaking front axle seals

, I do it the fast way as Iam sick of fuckin with the cone washers, It went nice & fast after that BUT ...

the upper & lower knuckle bearings are fucked , very little grease in the knuckle & the bearings are pitted & rusty...puting it mildly! .weird cuz the truck drove great no wobble or nothing.

I got 2 from lordco but they dont seem to have the right taper ,are the upper & lowers the same bearing? I was hoping to just change the bearing & leave the race for now as it seems to be a huge pain to set it back up for clearances....or is that just BS?

has anyone changed these ?

Can I get a part # for the bearings or a parts guy that knows what hes doing?
OR are these a toyota only part???
I was gonna change the wiper seals/felts while there but the parts guy just had this blank stare [16]

anyone have a spare kit/ or bearings I could buy off yah ?
the otherside is probley just as fucked too

G-rizzle Swank
11-04-2006, 07:23 PM
are you close to abbotsford? cus big country customs is there im sure and ive bought the kit off of him, its a trail gear knuckle rebuild and its 110$ i think, buy it and it comes with everything

Westonian
11-04-2006, 07:27 PM
wholy shit that sucks,, I know that when we rebuil my buddies Landcruiser we needed to get bearings,, for the upper and lower,, we just went to toyota and got them, Lordco Had no Clue, they were cheap and buddy knew exactly what we wanted cause I guess they sell tons of em,, as far I as know there the same bearing, but I could be mistaken as this was awhile ago.

Murd0c
11-04-2006, 07:29 PM
are you close to abbotsford? cus big country customs is there im sure and ive bought the kit off of him, its a trail gear knuckle rebuild and its 110$ i think, buy it and it comes with everything

Yep James thats what ya want, give Taran a call he should have the rebuild kit.

http://www.trail-gear.com/knuckle.html

[cheers]

lizard
11-04-2006, 07:42 PM
will that do both sides?

bearing is # TRO305A

hey west , did u change the races too ? I looked at the manual to do it and they use alot of special tools to set them up

Murd0c
11-04-2006, 08:03 PM
on trail gear it's $145us for both sides and wheel bearings

Big_Ern
11-04-2006, 09:09 PM
James, the ones you get from lordco are a totally different taper, BUT they will work just fine. Obviously put in the new race as well (like you should for any bearing) They're actually quite easy to pound out of the knuckle. I would just make sure to use the same style on the upper & lower.

I've got the lordco style on my driverside, and the stock style ones on my passenger side. both work fine.

However if you want to completely rebild the front axle (after hunting or whatever) get the rebuilt kit from Big Country Customs (canadian supplier of trail gear).

Lordco doesn't carry all the stuff like the felts etc. Toyota only ($$$$$), or thru marlin, trail gear, etc.

Big_Ern
11-04-2006, 09:12 PM
will that do both sides?

bearing is # TRO305A

hey west , did u change the races too ? I looked at the manual to do it and they use alot of special tools to set them up
you don't really need all the special tools to set them up. I'm sure it does it more accuratley using the method in the FSM, but its not necessary to go to all that trouble. Just throw a few shims on the top & bottom and check the drag usign a fish scale off of the steering arm add or remove shims as necessary. I would start by putting the factory shims back in and go from there.

lizard
11-04-2006, 09:29 PM
okay, yah thats what Iave been reading ,if I had a caliper big enuff you can measure & know what shims to put in
gonna check the hub bearings too now as the knuckles were so bad .

still amazed that I had no death wobble with bearings like that .

Big_Ern
11-04-2006, 09:48 PM
usually around 40 for shims is damn near right on. at least its a good start.

Westonian
11-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Mmmm well I can't remember specificaly if we changed the races although I can't see why we wouldn't but then at the same time I don't remember any shims being involved, But if you do need any special tools let me know I'll see if I have some thing..

StillRYE
11-05-2006, 10:38 AM
James, the ones you get from lordco are a totally different taper, BUT they will work just fine. Obviously put in the new race as well (like you should for any bearing) They're actually quite easy to pound out of the knuckle. I would just make sure to use the same style on the upper & lower.

I've got the lordco style on my driverside, and the stock style ones on my passenger side. both work fine.

However if you want to completely rebild the front axle (after hunting or whatever) get the rebuilt kit from Big Country Customs (canadian supplier of trail gear).

Lordco doesn't carry all the stuff like the felts etc. Toyota only ($$$$$), or thru marlin, trail gear, etc.

yea ern's got it right on you are only supposed to use the race and bearing as a set because they are specifically matched to eeach other in most cases you cant use a race from one manufacturer and a bearing from another. I looked up the number and the only one I can come up with is a BR30303 but that specifies for the 9.25" and 9.50" RG only so are the bearings the same for the 7.8"?

P.S. I thought it was gonna be a real pain in the ass to change the races in mine and it actually went very easily

sj-x 500
11-05-2006, 10:40 AM
why the hell would you only change half a bearing...

cup and cone should be changed together, it takes a few seconds to hammer the races out...

just do it man...

G-rizzle Swank
11-05-2006, 10:48 AM
yea i just used a chisel and there is a little spot on the inside of the axle where you can get at them to hammer them out, and then just hammer the new ones in, make sure you pack them with moly slip grease and not wheel bearing grease, cus apparently the moly slip will stay on the bearings better when they get hot, slacker told me to do this

lizard
11-05-2006, 07:23 PM
the races just looked like they would be a huge PITA, Ones I have done before in other vehicles basically needed to be torched out but I used a brass drift and they came out pretty easy as toyota was smart enuff to have the 2 detents to punch them out .The aftermarket races sat abit higher which made it bitchier to get the knucke back on , toyota ones sit flush.
NOW......u tell me about the moly, ...its a little late now , might do it when I do the other side
BR30303 is the knuckle bearing #

Big_Ern
11-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Ya, toyota is smart like that.... for some stuff anyways. the rest of the truck you need hands the size of a japanse circus midget[freak]

I've never used moly before. last time I took them apart they still had tons of grease in them. Not like its a high speed bearing.. I wouldn't worry so long as you put a bit extra around the bearing

B
11-06-2006, 03:42 AM
reaside bearing and seals ... on glacier ave under port man bridge ... way cheaper , sorry it to late for u dude have a safe trip ....[cheers]

StillRYE
11-06-2006, 11:20 AM
wow were thosde bearings ever fuct

lizard
11-06-2006, 04:13 PM
hey B , so with those guys do yah just bring a old bearing or do they cross referance from a book or something?

Stetson
11-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Tips on those bearings, the bottom shims adjust the height of the outers (spindle) so the axle comes through center. if this is not done right, it will cause pre-mature failure of the inner axle seal and you'll have gear oil contaminating the grease in the birf. The upper shims will adjust the drag. From the pic, your outer "knuckle ball" looked pitted, which can also cause pre mature failure and wear of the felt and rubber seals. A tip I read was to prep and put on a thin coat of JB weld, let it harden, and sand to a smooth finish. hope everones imput helps, good luck.

burnedshoelace
11-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I just had the same dilemma with my '89 I used to buy them in Abbotsford @ Precise Bearing (Kinda by the airport) but for some reason there is not one to be found right across the country as we speak. I tried BC Bearing but they never returned my call so I bit the bullet and got gouged @ Toyota for the exact bearing (45 bucks each and that was a "deal). If already don't know the Toyota part# is 90366 1700 the after market one I got before isTR 0305A made in Japan.

My .02 cents