PDA

View Full Version : Diesels?

shawnw
11-03-2006, 11:50 PM
I've got a few questions about diesels. I've been looking for a truck, more specifically a Ram and I would prefer the diesel just for the strength and durability of the engine. The 94 and up bodystyles with the diesels are out of my price range but there is lots of the 5.2 and 5.9 gassers. I found a 92 2500 diesel for a half decent price and will be going out to look at it tomorrow. So just a couple of things before I head out there.

1- What are the most important thing to look at when looking over a diesel
2- What are the differences in operating cost like between diesels and gas
3- I know about the tranny on the dodges, any other major widowmakers hiding
4- And finally what would you guys (and gals) suggest? Diesel or gas, if gas the 5.2 or 5.9. It would be an older diesel or newer gas.
:) Thanks for any input.

u2slow
11-04-2006, 12:52 AM
1- Not sure with Cummins.
2- 50% better mpgs
3- killer dowel pin? axle unit-bearings? axle disconnect?
4- diesel - even if it meant going to the older body style to keep it affordable [36]

IMO, I'd change my brand choice before I cheaped out for a gasser.

jeepingpw
11-04-2006, 08:59 AM
The basic design of the 5.9 Cummins has been around since the '50's. It was used alot in skidders.

The older non-computerized are easy to work on as all a diesel needs to run is air & fuel. The newer ones are more $$ to fix if it has computer issues.

As for economy, my dad has a '04 Dodge & gets around 23mpg.

I had a '86 Ford , 6.9 non-turbo = 15 mpg
& a '95 Power Stroke & got 12mpg empty.

Oil changes are more expensive due to the volume of oil & changing more often.

As for power, SB over a diesel, hands down a diesel.

Before you buy it, take it to a dealer & get it checked out. Better to be out $100 for an inspection than to buy someones POS

one day I'm going to put a 7.3 in my Bronco:p

Justin_B
11-04-2006, 09:06 AM
diesels are sweet, i got the 5.9 in my 96 dodge, with a 5 speed and im getting like around 350km to half tank from full. i do mostly highway driving to and from work though. id let it drop below half tank, but then fill ups get expenisve hahah.

shawnw
11-04-2006, 08:38 PM
So I went and took a quick look at it this evening. The trucks in pretty good shape, body and paint are really good. could use some new tires but that would be coming anyways. The engine compartment looked very clen and sll the fluids were clean but not freshly replaced. It had a new battery as well. Started up all but immediatly after about 3 or 4 seconds warming up the glow plugs. A lot less chatter than some of the diesels out there. The normal puff of black smoke. If I can get rid of my car I think I'll be putting a down payment on this. After a full inspection of course. :)

Troy
11-04-2006, 08:39 PM
go with a 94-96 ford f250 turbo diesel 7.3 Liter[36]

shawnw
11-04-2006, 09:13 PM

I have considered it and it still is a possibility, but I've veen raised with Dodge trucks and it'd be kinda hard to cross over to the blue oval.

u2slow
11-04-2006, 09:21 PM
That's what I chose too (well, F350). Cheaper than a Cummins, and tougher than the IFS Chevy crap.:D

EDIT: I considered the 89-93 Dodge CTD, but I needed a crewcab. Even so, I think my Ford was cheaper.

tenpack
11-07-2006, 06:50 AM
the cummins 1st gens go from 89-93. The 5.9L engines are all mechanical with a VE rotary style injection pump. You can crank em up for more fuel, people like to downsize from a 21cm exhaust housing to 16, 14, 12 for faster spool up, the stock one is rather slow. The normal injectors, exhaust etc. applies. A notable thing is that the 92/93 engines are intercooler, although a common mod for the pre 92's is to a get a intercooler from a '01 PSD and use it, they are a common size and whatnot.

Transmissions: they came with a slough of automatics, the good 727, 518, a518 and so on. Basically, like any auto, get a big ass cooler and a deeep dish. The more preferable choise is the getrag 360 which is a 5 spd, a decent transmission but its max. acceptable power limit is right around the cummins ouput so its a bit of a gamble. They arent bad, but if you had the time there are numerous kits that allow you to swap in the nv4500, a MUCH better unit.

Problems, the usual. Diesels are famous for their reliability and power, but only if they are well kept. The engines are so heavy that the front ends have issues with the steering compontens, so make sure it isnt sloppy. If you're serious, spend the money and get the truck inspected. PDR in port kells charges 80 buicks an hour, worth it. Their guys can tell an issue by sound or driving it just from their experience.Beware of assholes flipping trucks, ive stumbled accross it before and its hard to tell, just luck on my part.

if theres any fuck ups,s orry im just having my 1st cup of coffee.Cheers

4doorShorty
11-07-2006, 08:13 PM
IDI Fords (6.9L-7.3L to '94) used the stanadyne IP like the mechanical cummins did. They are good engines, get an F350 and youll have a D60 front. Id stear clear of chev's, they duramax may be a good engine but the truck is meant for highway only IMO, and the older non duramax chev diesels are the WORST diesel to get by far.

killman
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Here is my opinon. If your going to by an older truck you can't beat the cummins other than it is in a Dodge but you can't get away from that unless you do a transplant. The older chevs are good trucks and the engines are quite reliable but gutless. The Ford wich I have a 01 crewcab dually has good power but you Know the old saying( Fix Or Repair Daily) It just seems like ther is always somthing that needs to be fixed. Never had that problem with my chevy's.
Hope it helps.[cheers]

Troy
11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Here is my opinon. If your going to by an older truck you can't beat the cummins other than it is in a Dodge but you can't get away from that unless you do a transplant. The older chevs are good trucks and the engines are quite reliable but gutless. The Ford wich I have a 01 crewcab dually has good power but you Know the old saying( Fix Or Repair Daily) It just seems like ther is always somthing that needs to be fixed. Never had that problem with my chevy's.
Hope it helps.[cheers]

i agree with you about the fords breakin down all the time..cause its mostly true and chevs are easier to work on but for some reason im attracted to older 78 and 79's ford trucks[g] too bad those years didnt have diesels that would be wicked[36]

killman
11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Put a old cummins in one then you would have a truck! There is a couple around here that years and done nice!

westcoaster
11-07-2006, 10:18 PM
So I went and took a quick look at it this evening. The trucks in pretty good shape, body and paint are really good. could use some new tires but that would be coming anyways. The engine compartment looked very clen and sll the fluids were clean but not freshly replaced. It had a new battery as well. Started up all but immediatly after about 3 or 4 seconds warming up the glow plugs. A lot less chatter than some of the diesels out there. The normal puff of black smoke. If I can get rid of my car I think I'll be putting a down payment on this. After a full inspection of course. :)

First the 5.9 cummins doesn't have glow plugs, It has a heater grid that pre heats the intake air. Far more reliable and less costly to operate than a motor with glow plugs.

Open the doors and look in the area inside the doors above the top hinge is where the body would crack (cowl cracks) if the truck has seen much off road. If it is cracked there is a patch available for it otherwise it is what it is ad it can leak water...

brakes are naturally poor...

The motor should have the valves adjusted this should be considered a regular maintaince item after so many tens of thousands of Km.

Find yourself a kidney belt. Your going to need it....

shawnw
11-07-2006, 10:24 PM
going over the truck it's obvious this truck hasn't seen much in the way of off roading. It was a tow rig and the 4X4 was seldom used. It has been taken care of pretty good just looking at the overall appearance of the truck. Remember that the paint on the late 80's early 90's Dodge liked to peel unless washed and waxed regularly. Any truck I get will be getting a full inspection prior to buying. Thanks to all for the help.

Tmax
11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Find yourself a kidney belt. Your going to need it....

the skyjacker softride springs make those trucks ride like a dream. they are pricy but wourth every penny

westcoaster
11-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I rode around in a '93 dodge diesel for 11 years and 240,000 Km (bought the truck new)

The seats sucked, it rode rough, it squeaked, rattled and was noisy in the cab to the point you didn't want to listen to the radio.

But the damn thing always started with a bump of the starter and never left me walking.

I swear my back teeth are still lose to this day because of the stock suspension, Wish there was the skyjacker out when I first bought it...

slowdodge
11-08-2006, 03:01 AM
good choice with the cummins have seen lots with 500,000k's and more and besides regular stuff no money spent on engine. oh and who would want an engine with 40% more moving parts(ps) and poor mileage is beyond me

tenpack
11-09-2006, 06:30 AM
i might be a retard, but i didnt see what year you are getting. Watch out for the Killer Powel Pin (KDP)

heres what PDR has to say:

http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechKDP.htm

tenpack
11-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Put a old cummins in one then you would have a truck! There is a couple around here that years and done nice!

hell yeah! i seriously considered it. After all, the cummins isnt really a specific truck engine, its more a universally used engine. Ag equipment, earth movers, pumps, semis, they all used cummins( althought the semis use the 6CT not the 6bt). On paper it seems simple, but for it be reliable you'd need a d60 to support the wieght, some good motor mounts/tranny x-member, a long engine bay, some beefier front suspension... but think of the rewards. I'd still do it if i had the money and a bobcat to load the engine in and out of the bay...

shawnw
11-10-2006, 08:15 PM
probably a stupid question but do Diesels get aircared? I grabbed the VIN of the truck and punched it in and no info.

Tmax
11-10-2006, 08:49 PM
they require aircare like any other vehicle

slowdodge
11-12-2006, 01:05 AM
hey tenpack w250ctd trucks already have all reliable parts you speak of. and for aircare just up the gvw i did it like three months ago with no wiegh scale slip or inspection or anything.

sparky
11-12-2006, 09:11 PM
i have had a couple older dodges come through my shop both with over a million kms[omg] and both these trucks where serviced religuosly by a truck shop in edmonton and these trucks had nothing done but rads and brakes and fluid changes....both old boys followed the dealers books to the tee........i have allways liked the cummins over fords or chevys only cause what i have heard not owned...........and milage speaks for themselves...[cheers]

Troy
11-12-2006, 09:17 PM
i have had a couple older dodges come through my shop both with over a million kms[omg] and both these trucks where serviced religuosly by a truck shop in edmonton and these trucks had nothing done but rads and brakes and fluid changes....both old boys followed the dealers books to the tee........i have allways liked the cummins over fords or chevys only cause what i have heard not owned...........and milage speaks for themselves...[cheers]

a million miles!?!? are u talking about semi trucks or pickup trucks:eek:

shawnw
11-12-2006, 09:52 PM
thats the whole reason I"m looking for a cummins. They last forever. I'm really strict about servicing and as long as I can find one that's been well taken care of it should last a long time. It's too bad most of the used diesels are going for crazy prices. I could get a nice 1500 with a 5.2L for half the price.

sparky
11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
not a million miles a million kms and yes just little 3/4 -1 ton trucks both of these where 2 wd haulers for grandpas fifth wheel........[cheers]

Moondog
11-12-2006, 10:09 PM
they require aircare like any other vehicle

Not if you tell your insurance that you regularly pull a trailer ;) This will up your GVW to over 5000lbs you then become comercial so NO AIR CARE [36]

westcoaster
11-12-2006, 10:36 PM
A "documented" million mile dodge
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/03/chrysler-ceo-calls-owner-of-million-mile-dodge-ram/

Some interesting info about the history of the dodge pickup with the cummins
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/history/segment12.html

If the truck you are looking at is a 5 speed with the getrag trans, overfill the transmission by a quart. That will prolong the life of the input bearing.

surreysinner
11-12-2006, 10:47 PM

I seen a chevy at bd performance that had a dodge diesel in it and it was 10grand out the door with mods and was pushing 300rear wheel hp.

Troy
11-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I seen a chevy at bd performance that had a dodge diesel in it and it was 10grand out the door with mods and was pushing 300rear wheel hp.

niiiiice....probably had twice the amount of torque too eh[36]

Moondog
11-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I love my Cummings heres a pic

Tmax
11-12-2006, 10:56 PM
a million miles!?!? are u talking about semi trucks or pickup trucks:eek:

the cummins motor that come in dodge trucks is a medium duty motor. its stupid to even try to compare it to the ford or chevy motors. and yes its not very hard to get 1000000 out of one of those motors. i've never even heard of one having mechanical problems uless they have over 500 horse.

Tmax
11-12-2006, 10:57 PM
I love my Cummings heres a pic

nice truck. is that a tailpipe on the drivers side?

Moondog
11-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Yep Dual 5" with 6' tips cold air rolling on 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ Baja Radials [36] Future plans (when 60k comes up so not to default on warranty) Bully Dog system Nitrous & Propane B&M Torque converter.

Tmax
11-12-2006, 11:08 PM
thats cool. all i got is just the edge chip and cold air intake

Moondog
11-12-2006, 11:15 PM
I borrowed a programmer off of Dalton @ Tires Plus in Mission it gave me a 165hp boost in the extreme mode alls I could say was Holy Fuck (while grinning from ear to ear) the truck laid down 300' of rubber with no problem at all. You driving a Cummings as well?

tenpack
11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I wish i could afford a cummins. One day. They are just so damn pricey.

I forget what service intervals, but my understanding is that around 350k( not sure km/miles) they need their valves done, but thats more maintanance than anything else.

A huge advantage of the cummins is the simplicity: Look at a LLY/LBZ duramax, the PSD and any other diesel really. You can't see the ground from overtop the engine, whereas teh cummins hasent changed and is still very user friendly(unless you need a cam swap:eek:) to work on.

Probley with a cummins is their wieght, ~1200 lbs dressed up! Heavy mofo.I've always wanted a chevy drw crew cab 2wd cummins powered rig for hauling.