PDA

View Full Version : vortec problems/........

drew
10-28-2006, 12:37 PM
im gona freak on my truck..

it think my fuel injector is toast. every now and then ill go to give'er in my truck and ill have NO power. it feels so gutless its unreal. and then when it wants to work fuck it goes. im fairly new to this type of engine and not too sure what it could be.

does anyone know what could be wrong or have any ideas?
i was told maybe....rust in gas tank?
.....fuel injector?
.....fuel pump/filter (although i changed the filter)
......somesort of engine sensor or something.

if i can pick up a 4.3L TBI i would so swap that in my truck and get rid of this vortec. its nothing but problems

Always broke
10-28-2006, 12:41 PM
it's not a big deal check your cap & rotor they are probably screwed and the reason is it's probably your coil not operating properly happened to me on mine change the coil and you wont burn out more caps & rotors[cheers]

lizard
10-28-2006, 09:51 PM
could be your fuel pump packin it in .......

ottoman
10-28-2006, 11:27 PM
check the filter on the fuel pickup in the tank. they are only 10 to 12 bucks but you have to drop the tank

Troy
10-28-2006, 11:33 PM
it's not a big deal check your cap & rotor they are probably screwed and the reason is it's probably your coil not operating properly happened to me on mine change the coil and you wont burn out more caps & rotors[cheers]

i think on a newer model (92 chev tahoe) they have all electronic ignition with coil packs and all that sensor/computer electronic mess of wire garbage...it would be an easy fix if it had a rotor[f]

Growly Gorilla
10-29-2006, 07:57 AM
He said fuel injector so I'm assuming it's a TBI motor,so it'll have a distributor.

The 4.3's had a habit of fouling up the cap and rotor. Pull the cap and rotor off and have a look at them,also look at the base of the dist. (the part the cap screws to) inside there are vent holes,check to see if there are screens in them,if there are pull them out.

If thats not it,possible problems are.......

fuel pump
TPS
MAP
Plugs
Wires
also check for frayed wires were the injector wires go through the rubber grommet at the throttle body.

good luck [31]

drew
10-29-2006, 08:17 AM
thanks will check it all, hopefully i can get this biatch going better!

lizard
10-29-2006, 08:49 AM
and if have to access the fuelpump, taking off the box is easier then droppin the tank , i thought so anyways

Always broke
10-29-2006, 11:58 AM
i think on a newer model (92 chev tahoe) they have all electronic ignition with coil packs and all that sensor/computer electronic mess of wire garbage...it would be an easy fix if it had a rotor[f]they didn't have that system until way later i have a 96 vortec and it still has a coil and all try what i said i will probably work[27] and the vortec's are all multiport not tbi and they still run the same way.. if the cap and rotor is bad it will solve the problem but the cause is usually the coil not outputting enough had the same problem went through about 6 caps and rotors on mine untill i found the problem

Troy
10-29-2006, 01:06 PM
they didn't have that system until way later i have a 96 vortec and it still has a coil and all try what i said i will probably work[27] and the vortec's are all multiport not tbi and they still run the same way.. if the cap and rotor is bad it will solve the problem but the cause is usually the coil not outputting enough had the same problem went through about 6 caps and rotors on mine untill i found the problem

my bad[27]

drew
10-30-2006, 05:47 AM
they didn't have that system until way later i have a 96 vortec and it still has a coil and all try what i said i will probably work[27] and the vortec's are all multiport not tbi and they still run the same way.. if the cap and rotor is bad it will solve the problem but the cause is usually the coil not outputting enough had the same problem went through about 6 caps and rotors on mine untill i found the problem

so i guess i shall replace the cap and rotor first and replace the coil(s). how $$ is this on a vortec? mind you i would put it all in myself. thanks for the help i let you know what happens when im done!

drew
10-30-2006, 03:16 PM
awhhhhhh, i fixed it! i replaced the fuel filter again and replaced one of my fuel lines that was f***ed. i had very low fuel pressure. Now its all good. thanks for all your help

Growly Gorilla
10-31-2006, 07:37 AM
right on!..................................[36] [cheers]

Chev4.3
10-31-2006, 08:12 AM
so did you talk to my buddy about that s 10 with that 4.3 tbi in it