PDA

View Full Version : aircare help

Spooner
10-24-2006, 10:08 AM
My 97 blazer failed aircare big time. It failed on the hydrocarbons test. I replaced all o2 sencors, the cat and muffler. My reading is 0.7143 and the max allowable is 0.500. All the stuff I replaced brought it down from 1. 500. Any ideas on what to do to bring down the hydrocarbons. Beside [fire] the dumb fuck that brought aircare.

In The Zone
10-24-2006, 10:56 AM
assuming it is efi u could unplug the spout and advance the timing that way it will run hotter... make sure it is good and hot

if u put a new cat n crap in it should pass unless somthing else is not working egr maybe?

either way aircare sucks.....

Cookie
10-24-2006, 12:29 PM
all i have to say is methyl hydrate, methyl hydrate! dump a few liters in ur tank go 4 a drive first to get it mixed in and you may most likely pass.its cheap and easy but not always guarenteed. good luck

rs9000
10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
they have that air care gass at mohawk my samuria didnt pass nto to long ago put that gas in and drove around for like 30 minutes and it pass

NickB
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Don't put to much methyl hydrate in. But it will help. You probably need a new cat. convertor. Also did you do a basic tuneup? good luck buddy.

Spooner
10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Don't put to much methyl hydrate in. But it will help. You probably need a new cat. convertor. Also did you do a basic tuneup? good luck buddy.

Yea new engine new cat new o2 sensors new muffler no codes on the computer.

Spooner
10-24-2006, 07:40 PM
they have that air care gass at mohawk my samuria didnt pass nto to long ago put that gas in and drove around for like 30 minutes and it pass

cool ill try that and add a lil bit of the other stuff too

Nutbar
10-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Check for vacum leaks and sensor malfunctions (as an example throttle position sensor it can get floating readings and make the computer think that you are feathering the throttle when you are not and not show as a code)

vacum leaks on a fuel injected vehicle unless excessive are hard to notice because the computer will compensate for it and the truck will still run OK but the emissions will be out.

MetalMan
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
What nutbar said. And do NOT use methyl hydrate! It will help NOx readings, but not hydrocarbons. HC is unburnt fuel (can also be cause by high oil consumption). NOx is due to high combustion temps. Methyl hydrate will make it run cooler. You need to figure out what's wrong with your truck, because something IS wrong with it.

cruizer
10-24-2006, 11:33 PM
What nutbar said. And do NOT use methyl hydrate! It will help NOx readings, but not hydrocarbons. HC is unburnt fuel (can also be cause by high oil consumption). NOx is due to high combustion temps. Methyl hydrate will make it run cooler. You need to figure out what's wrong with your truck, because something IS wrong with it.

just the opposite:eek: methyl hydrate make extremly high combustion temps thats how it cleans up the hc's and co's

Steev
10-25-2006, 12:49 AM
yes methyl burns hotter and cleaner ..

it will shoot NOx off the chart if you are already having a problem with it...

sparkes3
10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
plugs and wires..................

Spooner
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
FUCK it failed again [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] [27] Tried the top grade Mohawk gas and the methyl hydrate and the HC increased to 1.1451. Plugs and that should be good changed on the rebuild.

Dieseljeep
10-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Is the motor all broken in??? Some times with the new parts it may require a run in time,before they fully function,you may also need your computer flashed to a new program . Make sure the vehical is hgood and hot when you take it in.

MetalMan
10-25-2006, 06:14 PM
I'd bet HC would go down without the methyl hydrate...

In The Zone
10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
dude check your thermostat sounds like it is cold...

could be stuck open...
put a 195 in it for air care then switch to a 165

epic3
10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
HC is unburned fuel just like everybody else is sayin but the higher the octane the higher its resistance to burning to prevent knocking (detonation) if your hydrocarbons are too high use a lower octane fuel which has less resistance to burning and burns more completely reducing your hydrocarbons also your old oil can increase your hydrocarbons bein well old and dirty and full of unburt fuel
Do NOT use methyl hydrate in a newer fuel injected engine it dries out the rubber seals in the fuel pump lines and injectors leading to premature wear down the road if not immediatly

Spooner
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Its was running hot I drove from work in richmond back to Langley and right to aircare. The motor should be broken in its has about 15,000 km on it now. New everthing including a fresh oil change. It getting taken to the shop that built it and they are going make it right. Thanks for the input.

England
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
If its just a weekend warrior does it have to be aircared to get temp insurance sorry to but into yer thread mate but does anyone know ???

Spooner
10-27-2006, 08:33 PM
If its just a weekend warrior does it have to be aircared to get temp insurance sorry to but into yer thread mate but does anyone know ???

No worries dude. Do you mean a permit? If so no aircare is required as far as i know because some times you need to drive the vehicle to get it running right.

[cheers]

tenpack
10-27-2006, 09:15 PM
talked to a guy, he had a 454 that blew blue, he said when he goes for aircase he just puts studs on and then they are limited to only doing a idle test. Not 100% sure though...