PDA

View Full Version : dual battery setup??

hoser
10-18-2006, 06:29 PM
every time i use me winch my truck just wants to die.was going to throw dual battery in er.was just wondering if i can hook them straight up to eachother or if i should put a battery separator inbetween.any info much appreciated thx

epic3
10-18-2006, 06:31 PM
separate them use an isolator (best) or a solenoid (good) if you use an isolator make sure its rated current handling exceeds the output of the alternator and if useing a solenoid make sure it's constant duty

sbags
10-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Should also check that your alternator has enough output to run the winch(high amperage draw), I would also check your ground and or winch wires for corrosion, loosness or perhaps too small positive or negative wire size.[cheers]

Big_Ern
10-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Should also check that your alternator has enough output to run the winch(high amperage draw), I would also check your ground and or winch wires for corrosion, loosness or perhaps too small positive or negative wire size.[cheers]
no alternator will ever have the output to run a winch.

at full pull a winch can draw 300+ amps. The largest alt i have seen is only 150ish. Most stock ones are 75-100amps.

Winching relies almost entirely on your battery. The alternator will add a small amount of time before it goes dead, but not enough to make much of a difference.

By the time you battery goes dead you winch probably needs to cool down anyways, so stop for 15mins and let you bettery charge up before winching again.

trevyota
10-18-2006, 11:36 PM
you dont drive a 89 toy pickup do you?

epic3
10-18-2006, 11:39 PM
all Hosers drive toyotas

Hello Kitty
10-18-2006, 11:40 PM
you dont drive a 89 toy pickup do you?

no it's my friend derek with an 89 runner.

trevyota
10-18-2006, 11:48 PM
good... i would feel guilty if he owned my old pickup.

good to have another toyota on board though

Hello Kitty
10-18-2006, 11:52 PM
good... i would feel guilty if he owned my old pickup.

good to have another toyota on board though

[cheers]

he's got stereo, lights, winch etc. so dual set up would be good.

tenpack
10-19-2006, 06:44 AM
12voltguy off pirate has this kit where it seperates the two batteries and you use 1 battery solely has an ermgency battery when your primary is dead.

http://www.12voltguy.com/catalog.0.html9.0.html

what i dont like bout this is you're still only using 1 battery to power your winch, when two is a lot better. You're going to need that 2nd seperate battery only cause you drained the primary because it wasn't in parellel with a second battery. Hope that makes sense, but thats my opinion.

I guess anyway you cut it, two batteries are a lot better than a single one.

lil_mike
10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
painless makes a kit not that cheep tho but simple as hell to installp/n#40102

Tmax
10-19-2006, 11:13 AM
a good alternator and a single healthy battery usually has no problems keeping up with normal winching. your wire hook-ups for the winch and good connection are also very important. for dual setup I prefer two identical batteries with no isolator.

not sure what alternator you have right now but I do have a nice very low mile one from a 89 full load 4runner. paid mucho dollar for it a while back but you can have it for a good deal derrick if you need it.
[cheers]

Toyrantula
10-19-2006, 12:16 PM
the only problem with running 2 batteries is you put more of a work load on your alternator and they will burn out quicker.

There is a guy on ebay that remans alts and has a 150 amp alt for toys. good price too at under $300,

DOnt they use a ford starter solenoid for a 2 batterie setup?

StinkFinger
10-19-2006, 12:34 PM
its not a ford starter solinoid but similar rated for continuous duty

shortbusracing
10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
What I have is dual batteries and I run two wraps of cable. Full drum of cable draws a crap load more than partial. For long tugs I have more cable in the back but I don't use it very often.

Jeepnut
10-19-2006, 01:49 PM
its not a ford starter solinoid but similar rated for contant duty

I use to run those larger ones .....MR SPARKS in Maple Ridge carries them

sdillen
10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I run dual batteries using a solenoid to isolate them. my "primary" battery is a marine deep cycle...which powers everything on the truck including my rear winch. My "secondary" battery is a normal starting battery which is isolated through a solenoid in a manner that only connects it (in parallel) when the ignition key is turned on. My theory is that I can run the primary completely flat as often as I want -- and when I turn the key on the secondary effectively jump starts the primary. When the engine is running, both are charging in parallel. I'm sure there are problems with this in a theoretical sense, but it has worked well for me for the last 4 years....and it's almost impossible for me to kill my battery reserve to a point that I can't start the truck.

sbags
10-19-2006, 03:33 PM
How bout 2-3 alternators run in series?!! Is your wench a 24 volter perhaps? All b.s. aside; I run a single Optima red top with my stock Toyodi alternator(87 22-R powered pick-up) which powers my Warn 8274 fine; if the controller works that day!! I'd imagine my power maker is only around 80 amps(?) it;s too dirty to see any numbres'.[cheers]

85_GMC_4x4
10-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Personally I think the isolators are a waste of money when you can buy a constant duty solenoid for $25.