PDA

View Full Version : a mild 460 build

89Ford
10-17-2006, 09:55 PM
I reciently bought a strong running 460 to replace the one thats currently in my 79F150, the current one has had a long life and needs to be retired. The truck isnt a 4x4, this is going into my street project, but its fun to drive and we are in bc so i was hopeing i could get some advice from some of you. Im going to keep the bottom end the way it is, i just wana have a truck to run friday nights at the street legals out in mission. Where i need some advice is in Cam selection. I dont have a clue with which one to run with. I want to go as big as stock heads will permit by means of flow and such, and with out having to bump compression. If i go to big it will only hurt my performance...i will be trowing a higher stall torque converter in, and ive got an edlebrock performer RPM intake and some headers. Im gunna upgrade the ignition, get some roller rockers and a kit to finish off the valve train with all the good stuff. I mainly just need help in cam choice...The comp High Energy cams look ok, and well and the Dual energy 275.....and possibly the extream energy series....I dont mind a ruff ass idle and what not

any tips or personeal exsperience would be much appriciated

thanks Brian

pistnbroke
10-18-2006, 12:31 AM
get new heads

then you can run a big cam

no flow with stock heads[cheers]

Nutbar
10-18-2006, 12:38 AM
I have run a few of the Extreme Energy cams in the small block chevys they work really well most are geared towards mid range power and give you a nice hot rod sounding idle not to rough but enough to let you know it is cammed for something close to stock with an auto I wouldn't run more than a 278 advertised duration cam I would stick to something around 218 to 224 dur at 0.050 lift and around 110 degree lobe separtion, and a dual pattern (more exhaust than intake cam) is usually a little better for mid range power too.

slowdodge
10-18-2006, 01:40 AM
try to source out some dove heads for your build(70 and later).also a common failure on bbf is the oil pump shaft breaking replace with arp piece. to answer your cam question you should take all factors in when considering cam selection such as wieght,gearing,stall speed,valvetrain capabilities my advice would be to phone a rep from comp or crane or my personal favorite isky.

89Ford
10-18-2006, 01:19 PM
well i was going to do the dove head swap, but i dont relay want have to make em fit, some things ive read so they requtre oil jounal matching or something..and shorter pushrods, but the main thing is that i dont have the $$ to rebuildem and what not, this is a tight budget...............thanks for the info their nutbar..

Im going to save the old engine commin outof the truck fro a more extream build.....possibly a 514 or something along thoes lines, this engines just so i can have some fun this summer

In The Zone
10-18-2006, 02:21 PM
then leave it in stock form and concentrate on the other one.......

Like im one to talk i got 3 progects on the go..............................LOl

89Ford
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
well the old engine prob wount be built for a while, couple years.......and i know i made it sound like im only running this one for this summer, but i plan on having it in their for some time to come......