PDA

View Full Version : ahhh carb help

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 04:54 PM
ok well my dad installed my weber 32/36 carb for me today and its on an offenhauser intake, toyota 22r, the carb was full og gunk so he took it apart and clean the hell out of it, the truck is running but runs extremely leen, works fine when the choke is on but once you take it off the truck dies when ya hit the gas. does anyone knopw whats wrong or have some hints????? thanks[cheers]

Explorer guy418
10-17-2006, 05:01 PM
just use the ajustments and ajust it......

trencher
10-17-2006, 05:13 PM
[iagree] if you tweek it and nothing gets better then tell us what you've done and THEN we can help

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 05:15 PM
yeah my dad has done that already, ive been at work all day so it was supposed to be a suprise kinda, it runs fine at half choke and full choke but once ya put it at no choke and touh the gas it dies

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 05:20 PM
ok he says that it doesnt even idle at no choke, idles fine and blah blah with half choke and full choke

Roy
10-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Perhaps you have the wrong jets in it. Sounds like they're too small.

trencher
10-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Are you sure the idle cyrcuit is not still dirty? and how well did it run before the carb swap?

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 06:14 PM
its the downey version so it should have the right jets i am hoping

whats the idle cyrcuit??? and my truck ran fine before the swap and the other engine ran, i got it off toy_runner and he said it ran fine

MetalMan
10-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Idle circuit is in the carb itself. Might need to give it a better clean out. Also, have you set the idle mixture yet? First thing you should be doing. As for the dying when the pedal goes down, check that the float is operating correctly and if you haven't replaced the accelerator pump DO SO!!!

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 07:13 PM
ok well heres hopin this will woprk, found the schematic of the carb and where the accelerator pump is, theres a piece behing it that we missed, so hopefully thats just gunked

MetalMan
10-17-2006, 07:34 PM
I can promise you the accelerator pump if fucked if it's sat. It is a rubber piece that will dry and crack and subsequently not work. And that will definetely make it die on throttle, since it will experience a momentary severe lean condition. If you haven't replaced it already, do it.

I also experienced a similiar issue with a Q-Jet, somehow the float had come off the float hanger and the fuel bowl was almost always empty for it.

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 09:17 PM
hmmm, ill see how she looks tomorrow and clean it, who the hell carries weber parts though, i went to both lordco's here and neither of them had heard of weber, its italian correct me if i am wrong, so a holley piece wouldnt be interchangeable would it???

accelerator pump on the weber direct site was 10.71 so im guessin it shouldnt be anymore then 20 bucks cnd

MetalMan
10-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Lordco is fucking garbage man, don't buy there. Find a different parts store. Very few of their counterpeople know much, and they're mostly just a reseller anyways so if you're nice to the folks at a different store you can get better deals. Weber carbs have been around for eons, only an idiot know-nothing high school kid would not have heard of them. They are old school though, hot rod shops are bound to have everything you could ever want for Webers.

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 10:46 PM
yeah thats what i thought, my dad had one on an old mini back in england and he is old haha so i was pretty disappointed with lordco, it seems all they are good for is gaskets. im trying to think of a place in kamloops that woudl deal with weber, ill have to check the weber site to see if they say i guess, thanks for all the help, mucho appreciated

StillRYE
10-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Lordco is fucking garbage man, don't buy there. Find a different parts store. Very few of their counterpeople know much, and they're mostly just a reseller anyways so if you're nice to the folks at a different store you can get better deals. Weber carbs have been around for eons, only an idiot know-nothing high school kid would not have heard of them. They are old school though, hot rod shops are bound to have everything you could ever want for Webers.

Actually you got it completely ass backwards there buddy we are the ONLY parts supplier that buys directly from 90% of the suppliers so maybe you should start beaking off about somthing you know next time

StillRYE
10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
And if you need to order weber parts the only dealer in BC is Overseas Auto 1-800-665-5031

norm
10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Hey Ryan,noticed your yota moved.Are ya gett'n er done?

StillRYE
10-18-2006, 10:47 AM
yea its down at courtesy I got the engine put together on saturday probably be putting it in tonight after work

norm
10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
[36] Maybe it'll stay togeter for a while this time[f]

Might go out somewhere Sunday[cheers]

StillRYE
10-18-2006, 10:59 AM
well I replaced the whole bottom end Im pretty sure that crank that I had before was the cause of all my problems so it should be good to go now I gotta work this whole weekend but maybe next weekend theres more stuff I wanna do on it before I put it back on the road

kamloopsyota
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
hey stillrye, how come the guy at lordco told me i could get rebuild kits for weber but they dont deal with them???? that makes no sense

StillRYE
10-18-2006, 04:53 PM
well we can order the stuff through Overseas auto we don't deal with weber direct the only good thing about buying it from us is you save on freight if you call them for a price and let me know I'll see if we can do it any cheaper for ya

MetalMan
10-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Dream on. Maybe it's different up there than here, I know here if it's not on the shelf at that very moment it's coming from Mopac. The counter kids are retards that know shit all but will still argue with you and tell you you're wrong. One of my most hated questions is "what vehicle is it for..." 90% of the time IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. And if it does, I'll say what vehicle it's for right aways. Lordco sucks balls. Expensive, and the service sucks. Maybe it's different up there. I sure as fuck hope so, because the Lordco's here are useless.

kamloopsyota
10-18-2006, 05:23 PM
ok heres an update, just took the accelerator pump out and cleaned it, not dorty at all and no cracks or anything. fired up the truck and tried drivin it, give it gas and it dies out sorta then WHAM jolts ya like nuts, and when i tried it al half choke or a little less i would rev it and sounded like a lawnmower, my dads off to mexico for a week so unless he gives me his password for pay pal or visa ill have to wat for parts till he gets back, but any suggestions now with the new info???

StillRYE
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
hahah let me guess your one of those guys that thinks every part for every 350 is the same then you come back and get pissed off when you get the wrong part and you wonder why nobody gives you a good deal because when you come in with an attitude noones gonna do you any favors

StillRYE
10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
that sounds like a vacuum leak to me for sure. did you try getting it running at half choke or whatever you have to do. then take a can of wd 40 or somthin like that and spray it around the carb if the idle changes then you know youve got a vacuum leak

kamloopsyota
10-18-2006, 05:51 PM
oh thatsa good idea, i was thinkng vacuum as well, since it was the same noise as my stock one but everyone says these damn webers are finiky. ill try tomorrow after work. oh and yeah it was running at hafl choke, didnt try starting it just pushed the choke in and gave'r gas, i drove it on full choke

oh, when you say spray around the carb, just like the hose areas and the adapter plate and such????

StillRYE
10-18-2006, 05:53 PM
yep all around there even the intake or wherever if any gets sucked in then you will her\ar the difference in the idle

kamloopsyota
10-18-2006, 05:56 PM
this may sound stupid, but why wd40, is it thicker then other stuff or what??? could i use chain guide spray??

MetalMan
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
You say I know nothing then you tell him to use WD40 to find a vacuum leak? Kid, you're wayyyyy out of your league here. You sound like a typical Lordco dummy, though...know it all yet know nothing.

K-dude, use an unlite propane torch. Fire it up, then run it around the base of the carb and the intake ports. If the revs go up, you've got a vacuum leak. If you replaced the intake and carb mount gaskets and the bolts are tight, chances are you won't find a leak unless something is horribly warped.

kamloopsyota
10-18-2006, 09:26 PM
yeah, replaced the gaskets so im hopin the manifold isnt cracked or soemthing, if anything i would just like it to be the accelerator pump

although on the schematic for the carb it shows behind the accelerator a tightening bolt thing and a secondary jet or soemthing(stupid schematic wont open on my computer) and when i looked behind the pump there is nowhere for that to be??? so im confused there

heres the link to all the schematics and miens the 32/36 dgv 5a if it works for any of you, and i think its like part number 37

StillRYE
10-19-2006, 02:23 PM
You say I know nothing then you tell him to use WD40 to find a vacuum leak? Kid, you're wayyyyy out of your league here. You sound like a typical Lordco dummy, though...know it all yet know nothing.

K-dude, use an unlite propane torch. Fire it up, then run it around the base of the carb and the intake ports. If the revs go up, you've got a vacuum leak. If you replaced the intake and carb mount gaskets and the bolts are tight, chances are you won't find a leak unless something is horribly warped.

HAHAH its ok I tell ignorant customers like you to piss off on a daily basis your the typical know it all customer and if youve never heard of usin wd 40 to find a vaccuum leak maybe ya need to get out once in awhile

trencher
10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey kid. Ignore the pissing match. You can use wd40, carb clean, propane, or even a mist of water. All your looking for is a CHANGE in rpm. Up, down, or leveling out.

MetalMan
10-19-2006, 05:27 PM
No, you're looking for a rise in RPM, and you're using something that burns easily...the point being that it will be running very lean with a vacuum leak and once you introduce extra fuel of some sort via the leak, revs will rise.

Stillrye, I'm sure you do tell customers to fuck off, because you know it all. Which is exactly why Lordco has such a shitty reputation. It's impossible to deal with you fucks, if it's not in the computer it doesn't exist. I've got plenty of fun Lordco experiences, I even remember one old guy coming in while I was there and asking one of the counter kids if the bolts he had were head bolts...the kid acted like he was an idiot, then told him they don't carry head bolts. I wanted to kick him in the fucking mouth, not just for being totally unhelpful but for being totally disrespectful to his elders. The guy could easily have bought some oddball engine in pieces and wanted help identifying shit. I'm sure you would have told him to fuck off, too. Oh, and according to one guy my buddy talked to, GM never made a TPI 305. Even though many 3rd gen Camaros have them, including the one my buddy owns. Know it all attitudes like yours are exactly why Lordco is so shitty. Man, there is so much more to know about automobiles than you could possibly imagine, try learning first and talking later.

kamloopsyota
10-19-2006, 06:26 PM
hey thanks for the overseas number, my dads really bein helpin me with this and gave them a call while i was at work and chatted with the guy, he narrowed it down to a certain thing and also bought me a rebuild kit, so ill have to wait till he gets back from mexico.......the 29th haha, ahh well, thanks for all your help guys, and when i get ahold of him tonight ill post what the voerseas guy recommended

Toy_Runner
10-19-2006, 06:36 PM
hey nick get that thing working yet? i was going to put it on my truck, good thing i didnt

Toyrantula
10-19-2006, 08:31 PM
holy shit, good pissin match fellas.

Cant speak for other Lordco`s but the guys in my town have always been excellent.

As for wd 40 propane etc they will work to rise the rpm, water will lower it, either way you find the leak.

If I make it to Kamloops this weekend I can have a look. Cant gaurantee anything as I used webber sidedrafts not top loaders.

kamloopsyota
10-19-2006, 09:19 PM
hey nick get that thing working yet? i was going to put it on my truck, good thing i didnt

no it works just needs the rebuild like ya said, that or its just the internal carb thingamabob haha, im still learning all this stuff and the weber has so many little pieces i dont really wanna mess up so i got the ol'man doin it. if nothing else ill just strap the stock carb on the offenhasuer manifold and see if that works, but im pretty sure the rebuild should fix it cause the carb was super dirty

toyrantual thanks for the offer man, you are always around when someone needs a hand[cheers] unfortunately im taking advantage of the free gas from my dads speedpass:D and goin to watch the salmon spawn this weekend but thanks

Troy
10-19-2006, 09:23 PM
lordco sucks [22] but they give me free bolts:D

kamloopsyota
10-19-2006, 09:24 PM
adding fuel to the fire i see [f]

Troy
10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
lordco is ridiculous you can never get the same price on something, you get ripped off one time and or get a company discount along with some bargaining etc. the next time at a completely different price[wako]

Toy_Runner
10-19-2006, 09:45 PM
No, you're looking for a rise in RPM, and you're using something that burns easily...the point being that it will be running very lean with a vacuum leak and once you introduce extra fuel of some sort via the leak, revs will rise.

Stillrye, I'm sure you do tell customers to fuck off, because you know it all. Which is exactly why Lordco has such a shitty reputation. It's impossible to deal with you fucks, if it's not in the computer it doesn't exist. I've got plenty of fun Lordco experiences, I even remember one old guy coming in while I was there and asking one of the counter kids if the bolts he had were head bolts...the kid acted like he was an idiot, then told him they don't carry head bolts. I wanted to kick him in the fucking mouth, not just for being totally unhelpful but for being totally disrespectful to his elders. The guy could easily have bought some oddball engine in pieces and wanted help identifying shit. I'm sure you would have told him to fuck off, too. Oh, and according to one guy my buddy talked to, GM never made a TPI 305. Even though many 3rd gen Camaros have them, including the one my buddy owns. Know it all attitudes like yours are exactly why Lordco is so shitty. Man, there is so much more to know about automobiles than you could possibly imagine, try learning first and talking later.

when i went to lordco in the summer, they told me they didnt make bushwacker cut out flares for my truck then i pointed to them on the next page[27] [27] [27]

MetalMan
10-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I had an old Chev pickup that originally had a 5.7 diesel, the old 5.7's were actually Olds gas engines converted. So any Olds engine bolts right in...mine had an Olds 350. Fuck, try dealing through Lordco with that one, they wouldn't believe the truck even existed. I gave up, they kept trying to give me SBC parts. Wayyy back in the day when I first started turning wrenches, I popped a Pontiac 400 in my 1981 Firebird Formula that originally came with a Chev 305. I almost gave up on Lordco until I met Vas, the rest of them had no clue, I can't even remember how many times I got SBC shit for that thing but it was a lot. I stopped going there after Vas left, there has to be absolutely nothing else open and I have the be in dire need of a part to ever go back there.

Troy
10-19-2006, 11:11 PM
someone should start a "how shitty lordco is" thread, that would be cool[36]

Toy_Runner
10-20-2006, 12:54 AM
[drama]................................

Toyrantula
10-20-2006, 02:44 AM
its all about the guy behind the counter.

I guess i am lucky as know a few of the guys ideal with at LORDCO have been in racing or been mechanics or parts guys at other stores for some time.

Ya you can get idiots at ANY store (read canadian tire) for sure. Why not do a search and print out your results to show the dude what you want and that it is made.

That sgould end the problem in most cases.

Christ everyone f*cks up at one time or another. we all been there b4.

Well if i can help out on that carb let me know bro

StillRYE
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
you know what the problem with you fuckin guys is its not that we think we know everything its that you expect us to know everything and as soon as we don't know somthing you go saying shit like that guys an idiot. you try dealing witrh 100 different people everyday with 100 different cars and tell me what you think then and until the shut the fuck up and try walkin a mile in my shoes.

kamloopsyota
10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
do you know how much i would gap the spark plug on my 22r??? haha i have no idea

MetalMan
10-20-2006, 06:28 PM
do you know how much i would gap the spark plug on my 22r??? haha i have no idea

You don't know the factory spec? If not I'd just throw them in at .035.

Troy
10-20-2006, 07:55 PM
maybe you should ask lordco, they might know[41]

kamloopsyota
10-20-2006, 09:58 PM
yeah just did them .032, but i picked up a propane thing and gave thata try, nothing, and sometimes the tip would go frozen and spray like frozen propane..... but with the engine goin the fan was blowin most of it away im thinkin, so maybe ill just give up till the rebuild kit comes

MetalMan
10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Frankly, I've been able to hear it whenever I've had a vacuum leak. They're often loud enough to hear over the motor. Get your carb in shape first, then if it's still not running right look for a vacuum leak. I would put my chips on a carb issue, not a vacuum leak in this case...

kamloopsyota
10-20-2006, 10:30 PM
well it has that die out sound like a suck when ya hit the gas abit right, and all the other times i have had that its been vacuum

but what still is messin with me is how it will drive fine under 2 grand but if i give it more gas it hesiates them blam feels like i got a shot up the ass

kamloopsyota
11-03-2006, 02:01 PM
god damn, the rebuild kit finally came, god have trust in canada post since apparently i had moved and they were to stupid, two weeks and abit to get the kit here from over seas, but only the best deals with overseas, called us right up when they found out and resent the stuff and paid fee. anywho, first thing i noticed sine we have a schematic now, the accelerator pump was in backwards, i wondered why the hell the whole thing blew off when i took the last bolt off and was really hard to put back on, so got the new one in properly and now im justing waiting for the ol'man to finish cleaning it then we can start rebuild the thing and hopefully it will run right, then i can test that seafoam stuff haha

kamloopsyota
11-03-2006, 07:02 PM
k well we did the rebuild and nothing changed, took the manifold off checked for cracks or wrinkled gasket whatever, nothing, cant find anything wrong, but the stupid thing still dies, and the amount of leak its getting it would have to have a big friggin hole in the carb or something, we are baffled, anyone got any ideas???