PDA

View Full Version : A/C

kamloopsyota
10-14-2006, 11:56 PM
uhh well, i have no clue about AC stuff, but my girlfriend has a 98 sunfire with A/C and i figure it needs a recharge. how do i tell, just turn it on and if no cold air haha or is there something i can measure???

Hyenuf
10-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Not really something you can measure with out right equipment.... I have it but I'm down here.

Just charging won't always fix the problem... even if it does..... it'll just leak back down. Could also be a bad pressure switch or even a blown fuse.... If youhaven't got it fixed by the time I come up to visit U CAN 2 .. Maybe I can swing by and take a peek!!

kamloopsyota
10-15-2006, 01:03 AM
hmmm well dont they run out though, cause if the car doesnt pump out cold air, never thought about the blown fuse though, i have never had a/c so never had to worry about it haha, yeah if its still acting up by the time you come up to visit u-can and you have a spare moment that would be awesome

oh, would the a/c kind of be similar to a freezer unit, i remember ours messed up and the cooling stuff had all disapated or whatever

Hyenuf
10-15-2006, 11:26 AM
NO... A/C is accually a closed system... similar to the back of your fridge.(With a couple of differences) All it does is remove heat and moisture from the incoming air... the refrigerant and the incoming air never physically touch.

If you are running low on refridgerant, there is a leak... but don't dispair... like I said, just because it's blowing warm does not mean you are out... could be many things from a plugged condenser (ahead of your rad, looks like a smaller version of your rad) Could be any number of things.

kamloopsyota
10-15-2006, 12:17 PM
thanks a lot hyenuf, ill take a look at the car whe she comes in abit

Explorer guy418
10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
trail over to westbank, or talk to jakerngr

kamloopsyota
10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
ok so i found a blown fuse, a mini 10, went to lordco and replaced it, got home and its blown again. my dad mentioned soemthing about the ac pump or whatever, may be seized and runs hot or soemthing, any ideas???

its not a major issue cause its winter pretty much but its a black car haha so summer time would be nice

trailburban
10-15-2006, 06:04 PM
the a/c pulley is 2 parts. the outside (that the belt rides on) and the front plate. can you spin the front plate by hand? how does it feel? (smooth, stiff, rough, spins freely, catches and releases, like how an aircompressor would feel, ect.)

Hyenuf
10-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Chances are you have a pump that looks like a small coffee can laying down.

Not hard to find. With the vehicle off and the key removed (Murphy loves engine/finger combos) On the front of the pulley is an "X" looking piece. This should be able to turn by hand..... If not,, pump is siezed. Also check for rubbed through wires!!

kamloopsyota
10-15-2006, 06:39 PM
hmmm well i think i found the pump, right below the alernator but its so flippin tight in there i cant fit my hand, and i couldnt find this X looking piece

trailburban
10-15-2006, 06:59 PM
it may look like a donut

Hyenuf
10-15-2006, 07:19 PM
on the front of the pulley

And ya.. it might look like a donut......[15] I like that!!

kamloopsyota
10-15-2006, 10:02 PM
bah ill have to check it later, got work at 7 tomorrow.....stupid early morning crap

kamloopsyota
10-16-2006, 06:35 PM
ok well i found the pump but since there is no bloody room i had to just reach under the car and i found soemthing that felt round with an x shaped piece on it and it spun freely, and it was right on the belt pulley for the A/c, so would the car possibly just be out of coolant??

kootenaycat
10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
If the car was out of coolant, it wouldn't run for long! :D

The first thing I would do is get someone to start it while watching the A/C compressor. Get them to turn on the A/C or defrost and watch if the A/C hub engages. If it doesn't, it can be low, or like already stated be an electrical problem like a fuse, cycling switch, etc. If it does spin, have them hold the RPM at about 1500 and see if it cycles fairly quickly, like on for a few seconds, off for a little more, on for a few seconds, etc, then it's probably low on R134a. If it stays engaged for much longer, then you could have an evap freezing up, look for the 2 aluminum lines coming out of the firewall, the bigger one should be cold to the touch, but shouldn't be frosty, if it is, the evap is freezing up.

Without putting guages on it, and watching it run, it's pretty tough to diag over the 'net! Good luck!

trailburban
10-17-2006, 08:34 PM
if you have a silver can on the firewall that the A/C hose runs in and out of then it probably has a pressure switch on it. jump out the switch, if the compressor turn on then let it run 2 min and see if the silver can gets cold, if it does then you have a bad pressure switch and you can change that yourself.
If it doesn't then tuff luck.

on the back of the compressor (or maby the side) there might be a recessed pressure switch (looks like a tiny block heater from the outside), it will have 2 wires coming from it, if you jump them out and the compressor turns on then un-jump it within 5 seconds and post results.

also with igniton on and engine off, turn on the a/c and check for power (12V DC) at compressor and post back.

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 10:18 PM
when i jump something...how exactly do i do that haha, i know the can you are talking about, has the hose with the blue cover to refill i am guessing???

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 10:20 PM
If the car was out of coolant, it wouldn't run for long! :D

The first thing I would do is get someone to start it while watching the A/C compressor. Get them to turn on the A/C or defrost and watch if the A/C hub engages. If it doesn't, it can be low, or like already stated be an electrical problem like a fuse, cycling switch, etc. If it does spin, have them hold the RPM at about 1500 and see if it cycles fairly quickly, like on for a few seconds, off for a little more, on for a few seconds, etc, then it's probably low on R134a. If it stays engaged for much longer, then you could have an evap freezing up, look for the 2 aluminum lines coming out of the firewall, the bigger one should be cold to the touch, but shouldn't be frosty, if it is, the evap is freezing up.

Without putting guages on it, and watching it run, it's pretty tough to diag over the 'net! Good luck!

yeah i was going to get my dad to watch and blah blah but the fuse just blows when ya turn it on so im guessing nothing really happens, ill have to try what trailburban recommended

kootenaycat
10-17-2006, 11:53 PM
yeah i was going to get my dad to watch and blah blah but the fuse just blows when ya turn it on so im guessing nothing really happens, ill have to try what trailburban recommended

Do you know for sure that the fuse that blows runs the A/C clutch? Start it up and watch the clutch for engagement. If not, check for 12V at the connector closest to the A/C clutch when running, if no 12V leave it unplugged and put a new fuse in, if you have 12V unconnected then it's probably a shorted clutch coil. Start with the basics first, ie: A/C clutch engagement. You can always supply 12V (fused) and a ground from the battery to the clutch while engine running and see what happens. Let us know.

kamloopsyota
10-17-2006, 11:54 PM
ok cool, thanks again, have to do it thursday though, gotta work tomorrow then dads birthday dinner, old farts turnin 60