PDA

View Full Version : truck problems

redneckjames
10-11-2006, 08:46 AM
so igo out to my truck to warm it up this morning and the check engine light came on it reved all over the place and died. i can keep it going by putting my foot on the gass but as soon as i let of to shift it konks out! any ideas?????
o its a 1990 ford f250 5.0 L

In The Zone
10-11-2006, 09:10 AM
efi?

sounds like your Mass air sensor is fouled....

i coould be wrong though bad vac leak from cracked hose due to tempurature flucuations good luck...

could be the iac or the tps as well

redneckjames
10-11-2006, 09:12 AM
o god sounds like fun i was hoping thermastat lol

Toyquad
10-11-2006, 09:16 AM
well i dont know about thermastat causing the truck to stall.... but give us more info....... when it stalls.... lots of black smoke? does it start back up easy?...... this list is endless as to what it could be........... i'll throw some more at you........coolant temp sensor, 02 sensor. I know 5.0l are famous for the iac to carbon up and cause the idle to be all over the place..... but .... doesnt usualy make it stall unless its real bad. Go buy a manual...... and check the codes........ check engine light is there for a reason

redneckjames
10-11-2006, 09:17 AM
starts up easy but just does smae thing and im trying to find the manual now

redneckjames
10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
no black smoke eather how can i test some of these theories?

Toyquad
10-11-2006, 09:49 AM
got a multi meter? and u kinda gotta know what the resisitances should be before you check them.........

Dieseljeep
10-11-2006, 01:16 PM
I have one of those equis reader things it is fairly reliable ,they are cheap,the beep model is like 30 bucks the digital reader is about $75 -100. Any place sells them from Wall mart to cambodian tire,Lordco,etc.etc. Now that I thinks of it there is a way to jumper the EEC plug in and rread with an analog multi.

redneckjames
10-11-2006, 05:38 PM
i took it to my old high school and hooked it up to the computer says its the " ECT " sensor can i change that?

Toyquad
10-11-2006, 05:47 PM
engine coolant temp sensor......... and if that was the code i'd start there....after making sure the engine had coolant[redneck]

redneckjames
10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
cool will do i just added water so i should be good but its only a 30$ part so geusse im working on the truck this weekend:)

Troy
10-11-2006, 07:27 PM
it's probably your mass airflow sensor, the exact same thing happened to my bro's car yesterday, try disconnecting it and it should run fine.... oh yeah and check all the codes and computer stuff with one of the scanner thing ma jigs:cool:

flipper
10-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Did ading water help? Doesnt your truck self diagnose? Certain amount of flashes of the light to coincide with problem. If you found your maual it might do this, not familiar with fords.

Toyquad
10-11-2006, 07:33 PM
it's probably your mass airflow sensor, the exact same thing happened to my bro's car yesterday, try disconnecting it and it should run fine.... oh yeah and check all the codes and computer stuff with one of the scanner thing ma jigs:cool:

hey newbie why dont read the whole post before making some dumbass uneduacated guess....... i dont think anyone cares what happened to your brothers car........[22]

and btw.... diconnecting the air flow does not make a vehicle run fine...... unplugging it is not really a proper way of fixing something[f]

Troy
10-11-2006, 07:59 PM
that is an educated guess.. considering that I just tried that yesterday on a vehicle with a similar problem and it ran fine with the sensor disconnected, so my first thought was, the sensor is broken or worn out and needs to be replaced ok!![4]

NickB
10-11-2006, 10:13 PM
The ECT sensor will not make it stall on cold start. It is a incomplete code that was set because of the sensor being out of range well being tested. My opinion would don't waste your time bring it in, you'll save yourself grief in the long run. It probably sucked in the intake gasket if it started all of a sudden on a cold start. You can check it with a Propane torch and try running it around the intake. If you can't find it that way, you can verify it by just blowing it straight into the air breather and if it runs okay or better. it has too much air, hence vaccuum leak..Try that, if your local I might be able to help.

In The Zone
10-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I have one of those equis reader things it is fairly reliable ,they are cheap,the beep model is like 30 bucks the digital reader is about $75 -100. Any place sells them from Wall mart to cambodian tire,Lordco,etc.etc. Now that I thinks of it there is a way to jumper the EEC plug in and rread with an analog multi.

there is with the obd1 system t

he obd 11 is a little more difficult