PDA

View Full Version : custom driveshaft ideas?

Fuzzydog
10-11-2006, 08:36 AM
hey all - my XJ build is coming along and picking up momentum.

I have my Rustys long arms and coils (thanks Scott!)
SYE should be here today/tomm
I already have 3.5" lift in the back with Dakota springs, and I have 3" blocks to add (temporary until I decide what full 6.5" rear springs to go with)

So...I'm going to need a driveshaft. There is a shop here in Williams Lake that can build me one, but what do I start with? I've heard use an XJ front shaft, an Aerostar shaft and others but what have any of you guys done?

I'm going to make a road trip to the PNP soon so would like to get everything I need, then take it into the shop and get them to put it together the way I want.

First off, what driveshaft flange bolts up to the RE SYE?
Oh yeah, and to complicate things I do have an explorer 8.8 to go in eventually but I still want to convert that to discs and prob won't get that done til over the winter.

Bottom line is any info you guys can throw at me regarding custom rear XJ shafts would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

B
10-11-2006, 09:52 AM
rubicon express makes a nice ride and flex spring for the rears of xj's 7.5 lift i belive is what is in the rear of canxj junk ... most that i know do use the front xj d/s it will bolt in .... just need cut to lenght...[cheers]

Fuzzydog
10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
rubicon express makes a nice ride and flex spring for the rears of xj's 7.5 lift i belive is what is in the rear of canxj junk ... most that i know do use the front xj d/s it will bolt in .... just need cut to lenght...[cheers]

the bolt in front XJ D/s thing.... I've heard that before but is that right that the front xj shaft is longer than the rear? seems to me I read somewhere that there are different lengths of front xj shafts....

Also, are they up to the task - strengthwise? I'm not going insane on tire size - already have some 31" MTRs to go on and when those get beat I might move up to 33.

Poopy
10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I build my own, its super easy and cheap if you can weld. Use some sched 80 pipe, then you can bash it on whatever and not worry about it.

B
10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
the bolt in front XJ D/s thing.... I've heard that before but is that right that the front xj shaft is longer than the rear? seems to me I read somewhere that there are different lengths of front xj shafts....

Also, are they up to the task - strengthwise? I'm not going insane on tire size - already have some 31" MTRs to go on and when those get beat I might move up to 33.

hmm well buds are running those shafts on 35 boggs and shit no prob... go look at can xjs pics he is on 36 swampers on an xj ...[wako] ... pull ur own front shaft see if it is long enought what u want me to come up there w a measuring tape for u ? [f] i think it will handle ur 31's......:confused: .....:eek: or 33s ......

[cheers]

Fuzzydog
10-11-2006, 11:27 AM
what u want me to come up there w a measuring tape for u ? [......

[cheers]

Welll....if you aren't doing anything..... :)

Seriously though, thanks for the info - I know I should just get under there and take a look

can't wait to get this done!

Mr Vic
10-11-2006, 01:26 PM
an XJ front shaft should do the trick once its cut to length and balanced, plenty strong for 33's in your jeep. i had one cut and balanced for my YJ with AA SYE on the 231, and no problems

Fuzzydog
10-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys - sounds like it will be easier than I thought.

I just picked up the SYE - should be able to get it all together in the next couple weeks.

Fuzzydog
10-12-2006, 08:25 AM
well...son of a.....

measured the driveshafts last night and they are both 32" (give or take)

sweet!