PDA

View Full Version : mile marker

bogealot
10-10-2006, 10:15 PM
well finally got my E8000 mile marker.....for all you that are wondering why not a warn????well the mile marker is brand new/in box, and the price was very right! Now I have never owned a winch before and was wondering the following;What with and how often should I lube the cable?
Can the winch be opperated when the front end is under water?
Should I have a cover for it or is this worse b/c it traps the moisture
Will my Red Top be sufficiant for the amp draw or should I use 2
How do I know how long i can opperate without burning the motor

Toy_Runner
10-10-2006, 10:17 PM
when operainng the winch have engine running

bogealot
10-10-2006, 10:30 PM
well that answers one question...I wouldnormally do this but cant always in every situation...

Big_Ern
10-10-2006, 11:20 PM
well finally got my E8000 mile marker.....for all you that are wondering why not a warn????well the mile marker is brand new/in box, and the price was very right! Now I have never owned a winch before and was wondering the following;What with and how often should I lube the cable? spraying the cable with wd40 or similar will help it spool in straighter (or so I have been told -- I've never done anything to the cable on mine other than respool it when I get home if it went on crooked, I'd bet most others on here would say the same))
Can the winch be opperated when the front end is under water? The motors theselves are usualy sealed faily well, but the solenoids are usually open to water and may short out. That said if i was stuck by myself in the water I would sure as hell try to use my winch to get me unstuck
Should I have a cover for it or is this worse b/c it traps the moisture personally I wouldn't -- no idea if it would help or hurt either way though, but my thinking is the same as yours that it would trap in moisture
Will my Red Top be sufficiant for the amp draw or should I use 2 One good battery will usually give you a good hard pull the length of the cable to get you out. A winch will draw 300+ amps at full pull so you alternator will do little to keep the batery charged. Be careful though as an efi engine will usually shut off below a certain voltage -- the winch may still pull, but the motor won't run.
How do I know how long i can opperate without burning the motor If you need to use it alot or on a hard pull to the point that the motor almost stalls out then you'll want to check & feel the motor it every few mins to see if the motor is getting hot. If so pause for 10-15misn to let it cool

epic3
10-10-2006, 11:43 PM
once ya let the smoke out it`s very hard to put back in

Hyenuf
10-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Oh I don't know about that... I watch you guys put smoke in all the time!!

As for lubing the cable...... The WD 40 Idea is good... I used to soak mine once a month....

Spool it all the way out and wipe it down with lots of oil. Then wipe up the excess. This way you can check the wire rope condition at the same time.

tenpack
10-11-2006, 06:14 AM
A big thing for cable life is making sure its spooled properly. Side to side evenly and back again like a good fishing reel will prolong the life but also wont kink or damage the line.

bogealot
10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
thanks alot guys for all the answers...some good news today atleast.....just found out how much my insurance premium is going up after my one and only accident.....great more money to the fucking government..

flipper
10-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Wouldnt want to clean up the mess all the time,but herd the army greeses their cabels.