PDA

View Full Version : It's ALIVE!!! My '79 Toyota Buildup

Ditchpig
10-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, it's running, not well, but it's running. The old trucks' carb is cooked, and I think that the Tach is a little out because it says it's idling at 1500 RPM but it doesn't seem to be racing that fast. It sounds like shit but it's moving, albeit not very fast because the new clutch is still in the slipping phase and I'm still getting used to the truck's gearing and all. I also managed to bind up the transfer case too I think. I was driving around all good in 2 High then I locked in and tried 4 High but after reversing then moving forward about 100ft it went "boom" and I had nothing and the lever was all fucking locked up. I had my wife jam the transfer case lever into 2 High while I pushed the truck backwards and she got it back in, and I drove the 3 minutes back home. There is still a lot of tune up to do but the main thing is that the truck is moving. ALSO: I have Hazard lights but the signal lights won't work... anyone got any ideas?, Brake lights are fucked too but I have "night brake lights" when I turn on my headlights, they just don't go any brighter when brakes are applied. All bulbs are new and wiring harness appears to be okay... that's the only gremlins for now :)

lizard
10-08-2006, 06:38 PM
check for good grounds for the light problem

Ditchpig
10-08-2006, 07:35 PM
yeah I figured that I'll probably have to run along the length of wire to check for grounds, I also had no fuel gauge info and I tugged on the wire and it was all corroded at the tank, so I'll have to replace that one :( I ran it tonight again in 2H with no problems other than some major clutch slippage when going up hills and general fuel/carb running badly stuff. How long does it normally take for a clutch to stop slipping/turn into a good clutch after it's installed?

Ditchpig
10-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Think I just figured out my fucking clutch problem. I have a clutch arm that doesn't have that hole in it to allow for the "extra" length of clutch pin coming out of the slave cylinder to go through it. So I htink that it's too long causing the clutch to be always kinda pressed, like I'm riding it. I think that maybe if I pulled out the slave cylinder and I drilled a hole in the clutch arm to allow the rod to pass through and the nut on the rod to rest on the arm I might fix my problem. Ideas?

Toy_Runner
10-08-2006, 11:03 PM
sweet deal, got any pictures of this beast

Ditchpig
10-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I'll post a few pics of the "progress" after I get to my buddy's place and get my clutch thing beat. The truck is still way from being anywhere close to finished but hey, it's all about progress!! [1c]

Toyquad
10-09-2006, 04:51 PM
i bet the grears int he front and rear diffs dont match.... causing the bang and being locked up...... that or something in the front diff is fucked. and clutch shouldn't be slipping.

Ditchpig
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, here is the updated scoop! I pulled the slave cylinder off and cut about 1/4" off of the rod and now my clutch works as it should, I can spin the tires and all that shit. I spun em like a retard with a new battery (a good 900 CCA one too :( ) in the open bed and it fell out and smashed open... But whatever. It still has major problems mostly because of a really bad carb, hard to start, gotta pump the shit out of it to start, idles at about 1500 RPM, just all around bad. Still haven't tried the 4WD yet since my first experiment. I DID however make my first attempt on pavement and had backed up with a bad clutch and all that shit, which probably didn't help... I'll try it again later this week, no night driving till I fix my lights and signals.

Ditchpig
10-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Until I have a better pic of the progress I had this one taken quick. The bed still needs a little TLC but it's coming!! Big difference from what it looked like when I got it compaired to what it looks like now a few months later :)

Toy_Runner
10-10-2006, 07:16 PM
haha ya it looks alot better now

Ditchpig
10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
I have 3" lift springs for the front that I still have to put in. My shocks have about 1 1/2" of travel before they hit the bumpstops, that's why the truck looks like a dune buggy right now... total negative arch in the front. I'm just hoping that I wont need a drop arm once I put the springs in and I'm not wanting to do that much work right now!!!

Toy_Runner
10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
I have 3" lift springs for the front that I still have to put in. My shocks have about 1 1/2" of travel before they hit the bumpstops, that's why the truck looks like a dune buggy right now... total negative arch in the front. I'm just hoping that I wont need a drop arm once I put the springs in and I'm not wanting to do that much work right now!!!

when i bought my truck, it had 2 springs sitting in the box(or what was left of it) guy said they were 3'' lift springs. put them in i needed longer shocks but no drop pitman. and you should be able to clear 35's with that amount of lift

ray
10-11-2006, 10:04 AM
looks killer almost time to wheel

3inch on front eh sounds good

time to get some wheels and tires !

shifty5
10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
if you do end up needing a drop arm i have one i can sell you, i'm gonna build my own highsteer

Toyquad
10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
if you do end up needing a drop arm i have one i can sell you, i'm gonna build my own highsteer

build your own high steer? thats scary[16]

StillRYE
10-11-2006, 04:01 PM

how muchy??

shifty5
10-12-2006, 03:56 PM
70 bucks, and its brand new hasn't even been greased

shifty5
10-12-2006, 03:56 PM
build your own high steer? thats scary[16]

i have access to a machine shop

StillRYE
10-12-2006, 04:03 PM
if that inbred dude from cherryville doesnt take it i just might

Ditchpig
10-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey, Hey now!! I don't know if I need it yet, I'm thinking I'm going to begin my spring swap today seeing as it's rainy out and there isn't much else to do. Some people have told me I won't need it other people have...we'll have to see.

Ditchpig
10-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I wont need longer shocks, I bought RS 5000's for a 3" lift originally, I kinda figured that I be replacing the springs pretty quickly. That's the reason why I only have the 1.5" of shock travel in the front now.

StillRYE
10-15-2006, 09:34 AM
yea you wont need it for 3" thats what igot in mine I dont really need it either but I probably will one day

Ditchpig
10-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Cool, I figure that the springs that I actually have WERE 4" but they have had a leaf removed so I'll be getting probably somewhere around 2.5" of lift in the end. I actually began taking my front end apart tonight but only got my bolts off on the springs and work stopped there because my neighbours dog attacked mine and bit her all up. I ran into the house, cleaned her up and could actually see her muscles underneath the hole that had been made in her shoulder. I patched her up and stiched her myself so she's recouping in her bed and I've retired from the garage for the night.

StillRYE
10-16-2006, 11:27 AM
you stitched here yourself wow you really do live in the sticks eh

Ditchpig
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
well, it's more like I don't have the minimum 150 bucks for vet care for my dog sadly, so I do what I have to. Dog is also doing fine ATM!

Ditchpig
10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Well it's been a few weeks and I've been LAZY! I really want to get the front lift springs on because the front end is in SAD shape :( I now have a drivers side brakelight so now that means that it's just a wiring problem on the passenger side and not some weird switch thing. I still haven't figured out the turn signal issues yet and it's starting to make me want to smash something. I took the truck onto some trail stuff and it worked very well and got a little dirty at the same time. I let some fluid out of my Transfer case because as soon as I went to check the level, fluid came gushing out of the thing.... I also filled my front diff because it was prolly pretty close to empty and now 4WD works!!! Not much use though, simply because my tires are as bald as it gets :( I'm gonna try and get the springs on there this week and figure out the lights while I'm crawling around under there. I'll keep everyone posted and throw some pics up too!! [1c]