PDA

View Full Version : front axle seals

lizard
10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
looks like I may have to do them , ,......whats it take to do them(tiime) ? any special tools needed?

just thinkin on doing them before hunting trip

cruizer
10-06-2006, 07:38 PM
If you just doing axle shaft seals about 20min a side and its nice to have the right socket for the spindle nuts

exo_toy
10-09-2006, 08:53 AM
10mm , 12mm , 14mm , 17mm , 19mm (wheel nuts) , snap-ring pliers, hammer, grease, gasket sealant, and a brass drift is handy. Oh, and LOTS of rags!!
Leave the hubs unlocked. Be careful with the seals, they are easy to fuck up.

G-rizzle Swank
10-09-2006, 09:01 AM
yea a 54mm socket really helps too, i was usinga chisel to take the wheel bearing nuts off, oh yeah and you are prob talking about the outer seals right? where there grease comming out of the where the caster and the axle meet? i dono if cruizer is a god at doing these but ive done my axle about 6 times now i think, and doing a good job takes me 6hrs atleast, thats with cleaning and putting sealant on every gasket. good luck, oh yeah order the kit from bigcountry customs

lizard
10-09-2006, 09:11 AM
iave been checkin up on it , seen one shortcut method were he didnt need to take off the big nut & alot of other stuff , but i have to probley repack all the grease as its got gear oil mix in it now.
lots of good info on pirate, iam dealin with RHD but its all the same really.

G-rizzle Swank
10-09-2006, 09:29 AM
yea just do th whole axle and not just a couple seals, cus you might aswell since its all apart

Big_Ern
10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
easiest way if you just want to do the axle seal is to remove the steering arm and slide the whole knuckle off as one peice. This way you don't need to screw with the wheel bearings.

-remove the cover for the locking hub.
-remove the snapring at the end of the birf
-undo the 8 bolts holding the felt gasket onto the back of the knuckle
-remove the steering arm

now the knuckle, rotor, brakes, etc should all slide off as one unit. (lower kingpin will still be held in so you need to lift it up and off at an angle)

pull out the birf -- birf & axleshaft are held together with a inner c-clip that usually isn't re-useable so try not to separate them. If they do separate easiely thsat means the c-clip is broken, so you'll need to either get a new one or put a 'martack'. (martack is a spot weld on the axle splines just beyond where the wear marks aer on the axleshaft from riding in the 3rd. This stops the axle from drifting to far into the 3rd and eliminates the need for the stupid c-clip

change the axle seal

install is just reverse of removal

StinkFinger
10-10-2006, 01:40 PM
the odds of reasembling it and not fucking up the seals using ern method are minimal itsw not worth the few minuts it saves you just do it right and it shount take 2 hours from the time the jak hits the ground till its back on tiers

StillRYE
10-10-2006, 01:51 PM
ive done it a couple times and it takes me alot longer then 2 hours

Big_Ern
10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
the odds of reasembling it and not fucking up the seals using ern method are minimal itsw not worth the few minuts it saves you just do it right and it shount take 2 hours from the time the jak hits the ground till its back on tiers

why's that? I've never had a problem?

StinkFinger
10-10-2006, 03:15 PM
generaly i find when people try to hang the nuckle asembly they tend to deform the seal with its weight where as when placing the axle threw the nuckle this posibility dose not exist

Murd0c
10-10-2006, 03:16 PM
I've done my axles 3 times in the past 2 monts, getting better me thinks lol

StinkFinger
10-10-2006, 03:17 PM
and you need to do them again after sundays run

Big_Ern
10-10-2006, 03:34 PM
generaly i find when people try to hang the nuckle asembly they tend to deform the seal with its weight where as when placing the axle threw the nuckle this posibility dose not exist
Makes sense. I guess I've either been lucky, or quick enough that it doesn't get deformed.:cool:

Murd0c
10-10-2006, 03:50 PM
and you need to do them again after sundays run

did ya take my junk out? thought u said u didn't.

Dammm stupid ass knuckle studs[27] [27] [27] [27] [27]

G-rizzle Swank
10-10-2006, 04:33 PM
2 hrs? is that to do both sides? holy fuck you are good, my record is 1hr and thats disassembling everything, even pulling the diff, but doing bothsides in 2 hrs now thats some talent

StinkFinger
10-10-2006, 04:39 PM
I CAN DO BOLTH SIDES AND A THIRD IN TWO HOURS AND I HAD MY NEVER WORKED ON ANNY THING ROOM MATE DO ONE OF THEM FOR ME UNDER MY INSTRUCTION

TOOK RECEE 6 HOUR MIN

Murd0c
10-10-2006, 05:25 PM
thats for both and a 3rd I am getting better tho

G-rizzle Swank
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
wow you guys are good, i must just take my time

Toy_Runner
10-10-2006, 06:34 PM
wow, when i did mine it took about 5 hours, but we did everything, axle seals kuckles, and hubs

exo_toy
10-10-2006, 06:54 PM
me and chris pulled both sides and the third today. started after coffee (1030) and set 'er back on the ground just before lunch. (12) that included re-installing the axleshaft guide inside the housing.

Pook
10-18-2006, 04:35 PM
I can do it a full knuckle rebuild in a couple hours easy, but if doing the once a year super rebuild I usually take my time and get anal cleaning out all the parts, repacking bearings. inspecting everything. this usually ends up taking 3-4hours but I check all the steering stuff re locktite the steering studs, fully wipe out all the grime in the housing etc.

don't repack the knuckle full of grease...just a waste you don't need it...get some hi tack super sticky grease for the birfs, longfield uses some kinda superduper cv joint grease, I couldn't find it up here but found some water proof high stick super stuff at an industrial store made for heavy equipment.

just pack the birf like you would a wheel bearing and your done.

lizard
10-18-2006, 05:53 PM
gotta brandname for that grease?

I use a generic cv joint grease