PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready For Sleddin

kootenaycat
10-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Haven't been quadding for about a month, been busy getting an old camper I was given ready for sledding this season. My boss gave me a 70's 11 footer fully loaded, needed some work, more then I wanted to do to make a keeper out of it, so I did the minimum repairs and a few friends and I put 'er up in the bush to use as a warm up shelter. Everything works in it too! Furnace, stove, fridge, oven, used to have a bathroom with a shower too but took the toilet and septic tank out to avoid a smelly mess in the spring! :rolleyes: We built some trusses and put a roof over it to keep the snow from collapsing it. Should be lots of fun as long as the little ass-hats don't destroy it on us! Pretty easy to find where we put it.

Got it on a frame to keep it off the ground.

Relaxing [31] [stoned] around the fire. A good buddy and I stayed overnight, first camping I've done in years! [cheers]

This is why I [stoned] only once every few years! Trying to get a pic of Bjorn, and this is what turned out! [31]

I think it only took about 6 trys for this one to turn out! Set the timer, attempt to stagger back to my chair before it went off! [15]

Sunday, making progress with the roof. Thanks to Terry for showing up again to help us! [cheers]

Roof almost done.

Roof is done, will have to wait 'til the following weekend for the lumber wrap on the roof, and to frame in the porch. Forgot to take the camera that day. [27]

Chev4.3
10-06-2006, 01:28 AM
yo buddy that looks awesome i will defently have to plan a sled trip out your way to check it out in the winter

HEAVY METAL
10-06-2006, 01:34 AM
that is too cool yo..............................

B
10-06-2006, 01:37 AM
way cool thats well thought out .... [cheers]

MUD CHILD
10-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Good job looks good I hope no one fucks it up for you guys[cheers]

surreysinner
10-06-2006, 02:42 AM
Put a little sign on the door saying "your more then welcome to use this camper but please leave it as you left it, so others can enjoy for years to come"

Is it pretty tucked away or is there lots of traffic where it is?

Good job anyways. How long did it take to erect that structure?

nykoma
10-06-2006, 05:26 AM
great job there kevin looks like its in a good area . off the beaten path? should be ok for years[cheers] [36] [36] [36] [36]

tenpack
10-06-2006, 07:22 AM
thats a great idea, a camper mini cabin[36]

how close is it? i'd be worried about kids breaking stuff.

BluntMomma
10-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Yeah cool looking little shelter you made for it! I like that you added a porch for easy steppin out..you know, for those mornings when you can actually fall outta the door in a dizzy whirl....just before you hurl? lol Where abouts is it?

Mr Vic
10-06-2006, 10:52 AM
nice shelter you built, great idea. must be alot of fun camping there.

i gots family in castlegar.. you ever been to chopsticks restaurant? awesome food there. some of the best sushi i have ever had, better than what i get downtown van

kootenaycat
10-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the positive responses! [cheers] We thought it would be a cool idea, almost free, and fairly easy to move if forestry posts it. It cost us less then $200 so far, got a connection to cheap lumber! [36]

As for vandalism, it's very close to a main logging road that is well used, but the old road it's on has seen almost no use for a while, there is actually grass growing on it and only one set of quad tracks we saw before building.

It's on the Bombi summit between Castlegar and Salmo, that's Grassy mountain in the background. It is going to be unlocked and we are going to put a sign up, hopefully it is respected. If we lock it, it will just get broken into anyways. Besides, I don't like locked cabins, if I need a place to get out of extreme weather, life or death situation, I'd break in too!

Mr.Vic, I've been to Chopsticks only once, but not because I didn't like the food. It was awesome! Beats the hell out of the Highlight! [20] We just don't get out to eat too often. I'd rather eat homecooked meals I guess!

C-Dog
10-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Thats totally awesome you guys sure did a wicked job on building the frame around it i agree with everyone when they say i hope no ass hats smash it up and it is able to stay there for years [cheers] guys have fun with it

Stetson
10-06-2006, 04:23 PM
that looks absolutly fricken awsome!! that would be great to do out here, but I have a feeling the ass hat ratio, might be a wee bit higher.

lizard
10-06-2006, 04:41 PM
wow lots of work , hope it is respected

PUNK
10-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Thats cool...good idea...

muddy mud skipper
10-06-2006, 05:05 PM
thats just frigen sweet.

nfc
10-06-2006, 10:35 PM
awesome idea. how far away is it from where you start sleding?

kootenaycat
10-06-2006, 11:13 PM
awesome idea. how far away is it from where you start sleding?

Thanks! It is only about 3-4km off the highway, but depending on whether they are winter logging, we may be able to drive to within 500' of it! Fine with us, it's more of a family thing. We can bring the wives and kids up, have a bonfire and a few [31] , then my wife can drive me home! [15] The furnace works awesome, so the kids can warm up inside.

And Surreysinner, we spent about 7 hours Saturday, and maybe another 7 on Sunday setting the camper up, putting the posts and trusses up, and putting the 1X6's across the trusses. Then the next Sunday, couple guys went up again and spent maybe 6 hours putting the lumber wrap on the roof and boxed in the porch. We also built the trusses our selves the weekend before, which took about a half a day. The air nailer came in handy! I'd say 90% of the material was stuff we had laying around the yard, or donated from friends.

Hicksy
10-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Thats a sweet set up you have there!

Evan the Blue
10-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Thats a dam fine shelter you guys built for the small budget [cheers]

I read the legal act, because I think we should build tons of cabins everywhere and found the rule that none want to see but here you go .....

(1) A person must obtain the consent of the minister before constructing or occupying a building or other structure on Crown land in a Provincial forest unless the construction or occupation is authorized under another enactment.
(2) If the minister determines under section 71 that a person has contravened subsection
(1), the minister may order the person to do one or more of the following:
(a)remove the building or other structure;
(b)destroy the building or other structure;
(c)restore the land under the building or other structure.

whos that going to stop [15] [f] [cheers] camo the roof

Styx
10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Thats perdy cool cat...
Have a great time in there this year...[cheers]

surreysinner
10-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Sweet and cheap like i like my woman.[36] [15] [1c]

Troy
10-12-2006, 12:44 AM
thats awesome... now all you need is a little gazebo hut with a hot tub!!!

t_girl
10-12-2006, 09:52 PM
What a great idea! I hope everyone visiting appreciates and respects it.

zukkin
10-12-2006, 09:57 PM
looking good kevin to bad terry had to crash before we could make it up there to see it lol

kootenaycat
10-12-2006, 10:13 PM
looking good kevin to bad terry had to crash before we could make it up there to see it lol

[15] How's Terry doing? Hope he's not hurting to badly still! Could have been worse though! :eek:

And we had some bad luck with the camper. Working on it last Monday, some guy shows up, says it's on private land! Apparently it's owned by a local lumber mill! Damn! I talked to one of the admin guys from the company today, and fortunately they are going to give us a couple of weeks to get it out of there! They could of just walked a hoe in there and mowed it down on us! Maybe next year we'll find a place on CROWN land, just have to do some investigating before we decide to put it up! [16]

westcoaster
10-12-2006, 10:30 PM
[15] How's Terry doing? Hope he's not hurting to badly still! Could have been worse though! :eek:

And we had some bad luck with the camper. Working on it last Monday, some guy shows up, says it's on private land! Apparently it's owned by a local lumber mill! Damn! I talked to one of the admin guys from the company today, and fortunately they are going to give us a couple of weeks to get it out of there! They could of just walked a hoe in there and mowed it down on us! Maybe next year we'll find a place on CROWN land, just have to do some investigating before we decide to put it up! [16]

Good on them to give you a chance to move it, shitty they didn't let you keep it there for a season....

BeerBaron Sr.
10-17-2006, 06:24 PM
That's pretty cool. What a good idea