PDA

View Full Version : Front end question

Jroc
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
ive got an 81 f150 with a bad front u-joint in the drivers corner, i got a compleat axle for that side that im going to swap for the one with bad joint, do i have to pull the diff apart to get the axle out or is it like the 9" that you can just pull out? also looks like ill need to pull the whole corner apart because it looks like it wont fit through the knuckle? anyone in k-town done one of these and want to give me a hand tomorow?[cheers]

jakerngr
10-05-2006, 12:28 PM
the diff doesnt have to be taken apart unless you are doing the center one.
pull the caliper and rotor take the 5 nuts off of the spindle. It will probably be a bear to get off so have patients and don treck the bearing surfaces of threads beating on it. once that is off voila pull the axle out and replace. you dont have to pull the nuckle off they will fit through the hole.

good luck let me know tomorow i have the day off and may be out that way for a union type helping hand

Jroc
10-05-2006, 12:41 PM
hopfully it goes that smooth!!! thinking of getting a big run together for next weekend , so i gats to fix it!

muddy mud skipper
10-05-2006, 01:54 PM
hey jroc.it's no to bad changing axels on them.i'm off work for this week.i just had some surgery.i could come supervise though[15]

i'll try to fix the bronco this week too.maybe get her up for one last run befor the motor gos.

OldEnuff
10-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Drivers side is easy, as stated above.
Pass side is nasty if it's the inner u-joint as you gotta pull the pod and do the c-clip thing.
However, some have an external retainer on the pass side and on those you can just pull the axle just like the drivers side.

good luck [cheers]

In The Zone
10-05-2006, 02:20 PM
ya mine has the external retainer on pass side it is quick and easy.. on the BII

just make sure u use thread lok on your spindle nuts on reassembly

you do not want em coming loose...

jakerngr
10-05-2006, 02:30 PM
they should have stover nuts on them

In The Zone
10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
even with stovers if they have been off and on a couple times dont hurt to be tight..it does hurt if they become loose.....

Jroc
10-05-2006, 04:27 PM
so i should have tightend the ones on my bronco??? oh well its sold now