PDA

View Full Version : Russian Hummers

tenpack
10-01-2006, 06:16 PM
the russian version of hummers:

http://englishrussia.com/?p=330

seem pretty boxy, look a lot like the h1.

and the kicker, i tihnk they got cummins!

http://englishrussia.com/images/russian_hummer/12.jpg

1_ton_k5
10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Looks like it has the same drivetrain as the HMMV...

The Tigr was designed for a middle east country that was already using Humvees and was finding them too expensive to operate. They approached a Russian company (I think it was GAZ from memory) to build them something that used similar parts with similar or better performance (and with the same engine as they already had trained support and a logistics train in place to support that engine) to replace the Humvee in service. The US found out and reduced the support costs and the price of spare parts so although GAZ succeeded in making a better vehicle they lost the only customer they had for it. They offered it to the Russian Army but with an American engine and no requirement for such a vehicle, the Russians use BTR and BRDM vehicles for the armoured uses the US uses the Humvee for and lighter vehicles like the new Vodnik for the unarmoured or lightly armoured roles. I doubt it will see service in Russia, though some export customer might be foundů

Rene

jeepxj89
10-01-2006, 06:35 PM
looks kinda homemade to me. i still like the north american h1's better. looks like it can take a beating though

m j
10-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Looks like it has the same drivetrain as the HMMV...

Rene

other then the Cummins Power badges

tenpack
10-01-2006, 07:02 PM

and that makes all the difference. Glad they finally got rid of the 6.5L in the humvees, they had some good years(pre 93 i think) but still werent up to the par of a cummins. I didnt know cummins dealt with Russian, always thought they were mostly North American based. I guess russians like the best too.

kamloopsyota
10-01-2006, 09:02 PM
my uncle in england bought an old hummer and stuck the engine in his boat, they are garbage, plus damn heavy, ended up sinkin part of the boat hahahaha

epic3
10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
and that makes all the difference. Glad they finally got rid of the 6.5L in the humvees, they had some good years(pre 93 i think) but still werent up to the par of a cummins. I didnt know cummins dealt with Russian, always thought they were mostly North American based. I guess russians like the best too.
Cold war ended quite some time ago now[f]

tenpack
10-01-2006, 09:51 PM
true, but theres always going to be some partriotism.

Half the reason why Canadian beer tastes so good, cause its proudly Canadian. and cause its better than the rest.

Roy
10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I like the gray camo one. Good thing they didnt put the Ford six litre in it! Spend more time on the side of the road than on it.

Dr. B
10-01-2006, 10:36 PM
My father bought an H1 alpha in 2002 and man is it nice, but he never takes it anywhere off-road. He has a lift, huge tires, snorkel. I dont get him. I'd like to borrow it for out here, but it would not fit on any trails!!

1_ton_k5
10-02-2006, 07:50 AM

I'd love to see how they shoehorned a much longer and much taller CTD into that thing. The 6.2/6.5 was already a tight fit...tight enough that the H1 6.2 intake was specific to it because it was a lot more low profile.

I'll believe 6BT in that thing when I see some underhood pics.

Rene

Stetson
10-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I wonder if they sell those hubcaps aftermarket :rolleyes:

HEAVY METAL
10-02-2006, 10:52 AM
i like it.... the camo one is wicked...