PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Install Advice?

Ditchpig
10-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Well I woke up today all energetic and excited to work on the truck because today was going to be the day that I installed my windshield... Not so. I have an old 1978 2WD in the yard falling to pieces after having donated it's engine and various other bits to my current 4x4 project so I thought "Wow that windshield looks like it'll fit" I'd also asked at a glass place and was told it was a direct swap..not so. I cut the window out of the weather stripping and fought with it, getting it out okay, placed the window on the grass, cleaned it, then put the new weather stripping onto it. I went to put it into the 4x4 cab and it didn't fit!! It's about 1 1/2" too short and 1 1/2" too wide!! I was LIED to! So now I gotta wait till NEXT weekend when I can get to the wreckers and cut one out and do it all over again. But, seeing as it's gonna wait now anyone got any tips on installing a windshield into a Toyota? I thought that putting the weatherstripping onto the windshield first then wrestling the windshield/gasket into place would prolly be easier. Anyone? [j]

Chewtoy
10-01-2006, 12:48 PM
1. Buy new rubber seal
2. After seeing the glass guys beating on mine, and taking two of them, I would reccomend geting someone that has succesfully installed one.
3. On my rear one, I wrapped small string inside the outer seal (against body), and after getting seal started, I used the string to pull the rubber through... worked great, and the front appeared to lend itself to this technique.

kamloopsyota
10-01-2006, 02:07 PM
gotta use that cleaner and primer after you cut away the old rubber stuff, then use yer cocking gun and put a new bead on, then get a buddy to help ya place the windshield back on, smack it good around the cocking stuff then give it some tape to the roof, crack the windows and close the doors

someone correct me if im wrong though i only did like 10 windshields and i know some semis dont use the cocking, so maybe an old toyota doesnt either???

slacker
10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
gotta use that cleaner and primer after you cut away the old rubber stuff, then use yer cocking gun and put a new bead on, then get a buddy to help ya place the windshield back on, smack it good around the cocking stuff then give it some tape to the roof, crack the windows and close the doors

someone correct me if im wrong though i only did like 10 windshields and i know some semis dont use the cocking, so maybe an old toyota doesnt either???

actually bud , this shield DOES have a gasket , or weather striping , not urathane.

shields 79-83 , 2 and 4WD ARE the same (only tint makes them diff) ... the glass shop IS correct .

I always throw the weather strip in hot hot water , and do the string thing as chewtoy says ... always works .

Ditchpig
10-01-2006, 06:52 PM
I took the glass out of a '78, they told me that would be fine... they LIED! It's okay, I'll get the thing in this coming weekend. Kinda got a little bummed after nothing really happening, but whatever, it'll happen soon enough!

u-can-2
10-01-2006, 06:55 PM
What year is the truck you're putting the glass into ???

I may have been in the glass business for the past 10 years ;)

slacker
10-01-2006, 06:55 PM
78 ... damb ... I need bi-focals :) ... yeah that dont work ...

Stupiduki
10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
What year is the truck you're putting the glass into ???

I may have been in the glass business for the past 10 years ;)

me too.

get a professional

u-can-2
10-01-2006, 07:00 PM
me too.

get a professional

Just cuz you're my boss doen't mean I don't know 500% more than you [22]

T.O.
10-01-2006, 07:04 PM
I've never been in the glass business, And I could have told you it wouldn't fit, Two totally different truck bodies. None of the body panels are gonna fit either.:D

u-can-2
10-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I've never been in the glass business, And I could have told you it wouldn't fit, Two totally different truck bodies. None of the body panels are gonna fit either.:D

[stupid]

[iagree]

Ditchpig
10-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I took the glass out of a 1978 2WD Hi-Lux, and tried to put it into a 1979 4x4, needless to say, it didn't even come close :) Assholes at Apple Auto Glass were all "Yeah that'll work, they are all the same" and I believed them!! If they had been a little more "I dunno" I'd have measured before pulling the glass.... asshats.

Ditchpig
10-01-2006, 07:10 PM
And yeah, I realize that the body parts aren't gonna fit. Tailgate doesn't either... tried that too :) It's totally void of rust and it won't fit but I'm gonna fab it to fit...I swear... I will..[wako]

Apple Auto Glass :1
Ditchpig: 0 [kicknuts]

T.O.
10-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Just put the body on your frame, It would be the first 78 4X4 I've ever seen.[36]

u-can-2
10-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Which Apple did you go to ???

kamloopsyota
10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
actually bud , this shield DOES have a gasket , or weather striping , not urathane.

shields 79-83 , 2 and 4WD ARE the same (only tint makes them diff) ... the glass shop IS correct .

I always throw the weather strip in hot hot water , and do the string thing as chewtoy says ... always works .

oh damn thats awesome, i gotta change my glass eventually, that will make it easier

HEAVY METAL
10-02-2006, 10:24 AM
those can be a real pain yo.... put the rubber moulding on the windoow then use the rope trick to rope it in ( with the odd hand slam).. did ya get the chrome moulding insert or all black? go for the all black alot easier than fukin with the chrome b/s..( which goes in aftert he window is in)... lots and lots of lube... never nough.. use a foaming glass cleaner for lube so htere will be no residue left when it dries...hope this helps....for the record i ahte doin those w/s's

GOT MUD
10-04-2006, 07:13 PM
ah, there not that hard to put in, i've done quite a few of them. the string thing is the best way to do it. but make sure that its not that thin of string or it'll tear the rubber seal when you rope it in. it's alot eazier if you have someone on the outside pushing it in lightly, just a little behind the pull of the string and use lots of water from a spray bottle. set the bottom in first, with both ends of the string coming out in the middle on the bottom and work your way both directions a foot or so at a time. it works great...

GOT MUD
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
oh ya, heavy metal your talking about a lock strip gasket. this one should be just an H gasket, thier a little easier to put in than those ones. no I have'nt been in the trade long

Ditchpig
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
The Apple in question was the one in Vernon behind the Lordco. I have an all Black gasket, I don't really like the look of the chrome ones enough to actually try and put one in :) I took Friday off of work so I can do this finally and get my truck moving!!