PDA

View Full Version : To Grand or Not To Grand ?

Busy_Boy
09-30-2006, 06:24 AM
I'm purchasing a used jeep for off road trail riding and some mudding, I use to be a Toyota guy, looking at Cherokee's but don't understand some of the options, What is the difference between select-trac, command-trac, and Quadra-trac II, was there a Quadra-trac I ? Which is best for me? What models and years were these options available? How do I tell These transfer cases apart ? When did vari-loc axles become available ? Is any of this worth shopping for or should I buy plain jane and stuff in lockers and so on....

Steev
10-01-2006, 08:05 PM
For the transfer cases look at the shift pattern on the bezel..

2H - 4H - N - 4L is command trac
2H - 4H - 4fulltime - N - 4L is selectrac

Quadradrive 2 is a fulltime system 4H- N - 4L

Quadradrive 2 replaced quadradrive 1

If you are looking to use this vehicle for offroad driving mostly I would look more into a normal cherokee (xj) and not a grand cherokee (zj)

So much cheaper to lift and modify while still has the carrying capacity of a grand. They are cheaper to purchase as well so you won't feel so bad about getting it buried in the mud.

DirtyComanche
10-01-2006, 09:45 PM
If you're into fabbing parts, a Grand wouldn't be a bad starting point.

But yeah, XJ cherokees are the cheap way that everyone likes to go. Got one myself.

Busy_Boy
10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll let everyone Know what i go with, but a cherokee is my preference...

skinstainer
10-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Hey I drive a 95 grnd laredo full time 4x and Ill tell you what man I love the fukin thing ,I could do with out the fulltime but meh what ever change it later when I break it!!!! I grew up in south texas and have beat the shit out of a lot of 4x's and In all of them the grand has the style the abilty , and just plain out performs man....

I took mine stock places I would not dream of going in other trucks!!!!! Here this is stock wish I had more pics ...damn it no stockers but heres a shot 29999

Thats pretty plain still but she will go where I tell her to go ... I say grands all the way !!!!!!

fourplay
10-04-2006, 06:00 AM
XJ the cheap way to go (I have an XJ as well as a ZJ, of and a YJ) you can gernerally pick un a XJ alot cheaper than a zj.. aslo, pick a part in chilliwack has 2 rows of XJ's, i grabbed a d44 rear for 100 bux drum to drum..

gl

[cheers]

Mazdarx
10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
I debated between an XJ and a ZJ for a while, i ended up with an XJ, it's a little smaller, but it still does everything i want, and they are cheaper to buy and maintain than a ZJ, and cheaper on gas.

~PT~
11-08-2006, 02:31 AM
I've got a 96 Grand and I quite like it. Four wheel discs and coils in all corners sounded pretty good, however now having it and being in the market for tires and lift components, I wish i had the cheaper XJ.

Question BTW: Does the XJ have a unibody like ZJ or is it bolted?

Leithmc
11-08-2006, 10:16 AM
87 Wagoneer (XJ) Woody. 6 lift" 33's. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Can't see myself driving anything but a cherokee. Maybe a zj in the future.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/leithmc/Pict0272.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/leithmc/Pict0191.jpg

Leith

fourplay
11-08-2006, 05:53 PM
I've got a 96 Grand and I quite like it. Four wheel discs and coils in all corners sounded pretty good, however now having it and being in the market for tires and lift components, I wish i had the cheaper XJ.

Question BTW: Does the XJ have a unibody like ZJ or is it bolted?

UNIBODY. AND THERE REALLY ISN'T A MARKABLE DIFFERANCE IN FUEL MILEAGE, OTHER THAM MABYE AERODYNAMICS.. LEITHS XJ ROCKS [36]

[cheers]

Throttle1982
11-16-2006, 09:57 AM
I was looking at buying a G Chero before, but after looking at the specs, and the prices, I decided against it. The Reg Chero's are cheaper (G-Cheros have 4 coils) and easier to find parts for in the wrecker.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/lazmcswaz/Truck/IMG_0008-1.jpg