PDA

View Full Version : tire float

kamloopsyota
09-28-2006, 04:17 PM
my buddy and i were talking and somehow got on the subject of tire floatation, he thinks that a tall and skinny pie cutter would work better in mud and snow then a nice fat tire. i said now cause you got more area to float on just a little hardr to push then a skinny nothing tire, but apprently im wrong???? whats the answer??? i thought i was right

StinkFinger
09-28-2006, 04:23 PM
well if theres a bottom to dig for the tall skinny works best if theres not the wide tiers better in compact snow and ice a mild tred nerrow tier is gona give better traction where as in deep fresh snow a wide ass tier will keep you on top and the deep tred will paddle you forwards

Pudge
09-28-2006, 04:25 PM
skinny will dig down for traction, wider will float over top.

StinkFinger
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
[16] what did i just say ...[16] ..................

Pudge
09-28-2006, 04:29 PM
well I was busy working whilest you were typing, bring some JB weld over tonight.

StinkFinger
09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
i don use that crap ..................

kamloopsyota
09-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Ha i knew it, im gunna rub it in that fuckers face, kept sayin no no nick i know you are wrong, my dad and ucnles all live in the bush and a skinny tire is better floatation. fuckin guy

hey paul did you buy that cherokee with the procomps or the other one???

Pudge
09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Bakelite's, nice rig. That one with the Pro Comp's look alright, but I had already commited to Joe, and this is tight, just a little overflow bottle issue, lol.
Owen bring something similiar an den, or maybe I should drive the Honda home today?

In The Zone
09-28-2006, 04:38 PM
floatation is realevant to psi you are running contact patch can change drastically between street and trail pressures as well as a increase in rolling resistance..

but u all knew that...[f]

as skinny tire aint gonna give much floatation even when aired down...

no brainer.....

kamloopsyota
09-28-2006, 04:39 PM
oh damn yeah i wanted that one, its a nice cherokee joe took care fo it

did the other cherokee have funky steering though, if i sell my truck i wanna buy that so i can sleep in the back and head to alberta haha

Pudge
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
never drove it, sounded like it was nothing though?? Sounded like his buddy he bought it from was posting shit cause he wanted to buy it back cheap, lol.???

Pudge
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
he finally sent me a pic, looks good though, except for the gay OE wheels those flat face with tons o holes in'm

85_GMC_4x4
09-28-2006, 08:30 PM
As for the skinny/fat debate, there's no easy answer.

Like already mentioned... if there is a bottom to hit and you arn't dragging your diffs yet then skinny is better. Otherwise you want as wide of a tire as possible.

Snow is the same sort of thing... 4' of powder and you want wide tires, 2' and you want skinny...