View Full Version : tire float

09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
my buddy and i were talking and somehow got on the subject of tire floatation, he thinks that a tall and skinny pie cutter would work better in mud and snow then a nice fat tire. i said now cause you got more area to float on just a little hardr to push then a skinny nothing tire, but apprently im wrong???? whats the answer??? i thought i was right

09-28-2006, 03:23 PM
well if theres a bottom to dig for the tall skinny works best if theres not the wide tiers better in compact snow and ice a mild tred nerrow tier is gona give better traction where as in deep fresh snow a wide ass tier will keep you on top and the deep tred will paddle you forwards

09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
skinny will dig down for traction, wider will float over top.

09-28-2006, 03:26 PM
[16] what did i just say ...[16] ..................

09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
well I was busy working whilest you were typing, bring some JB weld over tonight.

09-28-2006, 03:33 PM
i don use that crap ..................

09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Ha i knew it, im gunna rub it in that fuckers face, kept sayin no no nick i know you are wrong, my dad and ucnles all live in the bush and a skinny tire is better floatation. fuckin guy

hey paul did you buy that cherokee with the procomps or the other one???

09-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Bakelite's, nice rig. That one with the Pro Comp's look alright, but I had already commited to Joe, and this is tight, just a little overflow bottle issue, lol.
Owen bring something similiar an den, or maybe I should drive the Honda home today?

In The Zone
09-28-2006, 03:38 PM
floatation is realevant to psi you are running contact patch can change drastically between street and trail pressures as well as a increase in rolling resistance..

but u all knew that...[f]

as skinny tire aint gonna give much floatation even when aired down...

no brainer.....

09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
oh damn yeah i wanted that one, its a nice cherokee joe took care fo it

did the other cherokee have funky steering though, if i sell my truck i wanna buy that so i can sleep in the back and head to alberta haha

09-28-2006, 03:45 PM
never drove it, sounded like it was nothing though?? Sounded like his buddy he bought it from was posting shit cause he wanted to buy it back cheap, lol.???

09-28-2006, 03:45 PM
he finally sent me a pic, looks good though, except for the gay OE wheels those flat face with tons o holes in'm

09-28-2006, 07:30 PM
As for the skinny/fat debate, there's no easy answer.

Like already mentioned... if there is a bottom to hit and you arn't dragging your diffs yet then skinny is better. Otherwise you want as wide of a tire as possible.

Snow is the same sort of thing... 4' of powder and you want wide tires, 2' and you want skinny...