PDA

View Full Version : 1991 ranger 2.9L questions

REDNECK-WELDING
09-27-2006, 11:36 AM
ok dont say burn it i need some help here....bought it off a friend....he bought a new truck ...parked in his driveway for 2-3 weeks..ran when it was parked...now it wont....checked the pressure from the fuel pump and its 40+psi...got spark and ran on throttle body cleaner when cleaning it out...injector relays are working...computer is working....fuel up to the injectors havent cracked one yet....the driveway was REALLY dusty as he and his neighbor were doing landscaping so i dont know if something happend cause of that....so im stumped if i dont figure it out then its going to a shop and i dont want that.....also anyone got a small lift for one of these?? so if anyone knows what i need to do please let me knwo

ProspectorRob
09-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Dont know if you know about it, but fuel inertia switch should be in your glove box try that and if you havent try the fuses if not burn it

REDNECK-WELDING
09-27-2006, 12:00 PM
tryed all the fuses...and that switchis fine its under the dash by the tranny hump...thanks though

jakerngr
09-27-2006, 12:27 PM
spray some starting fluid into it that use to happen to my old 2.9 all the time. something to do with an air lock. it will work for you.

In The Zone
09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
check your tfi module on the disributor..

could be a bad connection

they are know for going

u should have no power to any terminals on the harness with key off looking at the harness clip on the right and smooth side on the left same way it attachs #h1 is top h6 is bottom.

key on u should have 12v at H4 and H5 pull the coil and crank the engine

u should now have 12v on h3 with it cranking only.
if this checks out check the coil again for primary resistanc value of .5-1.3ohms
and secondary being 8,500 -12,000

finally check therangerstation.com

if it ran on cleaner try poring some gas down the air tube and crank it if it fires your injectors are not getting a signal from your tfi...

good luck

kamloopsyota
09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
burn it[f] ..........try the spray like jakerngr said, buddies dad had one and that was the last thing he did and she fired up

In The Zone
09-28-2006, 11:01 AM
well any luck?...............................

REDNECK-WELDING
09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
going to go check it out today.....also heard it might be the fuel regulator on the fuel rail....i will let you know

In The Zone
09-28-2006, 11:30 AM
reg is easy to check as well if you got a pressure gauge do a bleed down test on it when idling the reg is open or partially allowing excess fuel back to tank. could be poor vacuum to it or a good leak else where but it would likley fire and run shitty if thats the case

wot it will close allowing majority of fuel to be supplied to injectors.
not sure of the stats but should bleed down to 25psi and hold. when off
at idle it should be like 40psi min

hope it helps

REDNECK-WELDING
09-28-2006, 12:07 PM
well we check the pressure the other day and it was 40psi with the key turned forward and about 60 when cranking...im going to go throw some gas down the air tube and see if it fires up...dont think its the fuel reg...we checked the siginal going into and coming out of the computer...is the tfi after those? if so that can be the problem...like i said before the driveway was super dusty so it could have got that all fuckered up....these arnt expensive are they??

In The Zone
09-28-2006, 12:38 PM
nope like 30.00bux.. i got three
but im here u are there...

u can test yoour module for the proper values to determine if it is defective.

can you here the pump prime with key on ?
it should whir for about 10-20 sec.
more then likley i would say a bad ground and maybe the dust worsened it.

if the tfi mod does fire your injectors witha signal corresponding to the hall effect pip mod in the distributor. typically if it fails allpower to the fuel system is cut off cept for 10-20 seconds of cranking.... thus it will not run. u can supply 12 v direct to the fuel pump via the inertia switch unplug lead and apply 12 v to the pink and black wire.

REDNECK-WELDING
10-01-2006, 10:24 PM
well it went to the shop... put in a new tfi...still nothing so they took that out...the guy thinks its the computer so there going to try and find one from a wrecker...i will know more tomorrow....thanks for all the help[cheers]

jakerngr
10-01-2006, 10:31 PM
soo starting fluid didnt make it run or did it just die after it ran out

REDNECK-WELDING
10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
didnt get a chance to use starting fluid....its at the shop...they cant figure it out...its not the computer...tryed a new tfi...nothing....they have tryed a few other things also...put fuel right into the fuel rail and still nothing....so they are going to check the fuel regulator ..... its very weird..they even said...everything there to make it run it just wont...checked the timing chain to make sure it didnt skip off...injectors are going on and off....:confused:

jakerngr
10-03-2006, 06:04 PM
betcha it starts with starting fluid

do you have spark??

had this problem before and it still doesent make sence but the guy is still driving it. All i did was give it a quick sniff of the good stuff right into the plenum and vroom

REDNECK-WELDING
10-03-2006, 09:55 PM
ya its got spark...it ran on the throttal cleaner until it ran out...i will tell the guy to give that a try for me....i have no idea what is going on with this thing...

jakerngr
10-03-2006, 10:38 PM
well if it ran on throttle cleane and stopped when you ran out starting fluid would do the same. thats shitty. injectors gettin electrical signal??

REDNECK-WELDING
10-03-2006, 11:07 PM
yup there turning on and off...getting spark...getting fuel...its almost like the fuel regulator is stuck open and flooding it...cause it has spark...but its flooding it seems like...so im thinking its the fuel regulator cause everything else is there to make it run...

REDNECK-WELDING
10-11-2006, 03:46 PM
well they still cant figure it out....good thing im getting a deal on this at the shop.....it has everything to run but wont.....anyone else know what else goes wrong on these things....has lots of spark....lots of fuel...could it be the 02 sensor???.:confused:

In The Zone
10-11-2006, 05:27 PM
hell man it has tooken em a long time if i was closer i could get it runnin for ya...

hell ive breathed life back in to mine many times probally to many........

now its time for the 302.......have em check for bad grounds to the ecm harness

jakerngr
10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
maybe alot of water got in the fuel

no it wouldnt be the o2 sensor

REDNECK-WELDING
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
ya it has taken awhile...but i told them to work on it when they get a chance so the bill will be cheap....they have checked for grounds...by passed the fual tank...check the coil....injectors are clicking...tons of other things...its really weird...hes going to check the fuel regulator and pull the fuel rail....he has called a few other poeple and they all said to try the things he already has....:mad:

In The Zone
10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Much easier to do a fuel pressure test than pullin the fuel rail

have them do the bleed down test on the reg it will still run even if the reg is dumping right back to the tank not well but it will at least fire...

sounds to me like the coil is producing weak spark.... im sure they would of pulled the cap and checked the rotor and hal assembly ?

it is strange that it ran before and not now....

are they sure the timing is correct?
fuel pumps both working?
ecc relay ,fuel pump relay , inertia switch these all affect each other not to mention again the tfi module they are know for just going....

can u smell gas from the tail pipe??
are the plugs actually getting wet?"
if u got spark and fuel then it is somthing else preventing the motor from firing when primed the schrader valve should shoot fuel out not just dribble... good luck.....

REDNECK-WELDING
10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
well he has a extrenal tester for the fuel thing...not sure what it is called...but it eleimantes your fuel system..its presurised and everything...still didnt fire...it runs off of starter fluid/trottle cleaner so.... checked the coil and has lots of spart...i think he said somelike 7? at each plug...more than enought to run....the spark plugs are getting wet so the injectors are working ....adrock cleaned the cap and rotor...still a little dirty but it was clean enought to run forsure..... havent checked the timing...dont know how it would have got out thought....the schrader valve ?? is that on the fuel rail?? is for adrock checked that and it was producing good fuel...and that machine he put on it would have eliminated all that stuff...it has a new tfi in it right now and still nothing....its weird cause its not even running...like it has all the stuff to run but nothing...i will grab a new coil and try that to make sure....

jakerngr
10-12-2006, 04:18 PM
that really doesent make sence at all I feel sory for you man

REDNECK-WELDING
10-12-2006, 05:31 PM
ya i dont know either...i know its going to be something so simple its going to piss me off...the guy at the shop is being great though...only charged me for like a 1-2hours and he said its more of a challenge to get it going now than the money...

In The Zone
10-12-2006, 05:42 PM
right on sounds like buddy is a fellow redneck who will not be defeated....

jakerngr
10-12-2006, 06:39 PM
try dynamite next that might put some life into it

REDNECK-WELDING
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
well got it back...turns out it was the map sensor.....