PDA

View Full Version : swimmer

Balls First
09-26-2006, 09:56 PM
im working on making my truck handle deeper water just wondering if anyone has some advice towards keeping the electrical system from going to hell and leaving me in the middle of a river lol

DirtyComanche
09-26-2006, 10:04 PM
What type of vehicle?

EFI? Or carberated?

Basically, get rid of as much of the electrical BS that you don't need. The critical stuff all needs to be dyelectric greased, then sealed properly. The distributor will need to have a vent run from it, and it will need to be sealed with RTV or such.

If it's a fancy EFI engine, good luck... Once that computer gets wet, it won't run.

jeepxj89
09-26-2006, 10:07 PM
switch to diesel :D i know for the distributor (if applicable) and the dipstick and spark plug wires and such you can put a small bead of silicone arund the pieces that contact each other, that can help seal. for the computer you could maybe relocate it somewhere? or make some kind of plastic sealed box for it to be housed in, and silicone around where the wires come in and out, but i dont know how well it would get cooled then ?

Balls First
09-26-2006, 10:08 PM
its a good ol school two barrell carb on a 2.8 chevy V6 its an 83 S10 basically all thats left is two wires some shit from the tranny to somewhere under the dash the distributor and the two main leads ive already got the intake sealed except for the accelorator pump dunno quite how to seal that without restricting it

Balls First
09-26-2006, 10:11 PM
its on its 3rd comp i think its about time to seal it off lol at the moment im screwed if it gets water above the seat because of all the jerry rigged wires (i bought someones busted ass project and ive almost got it back on the road)

jeepxj89
09-26-2006, 10:15 PM
youve probably done this, but dont forget about your axle and tranny and tcase breathers. i never noticed the breather on my rear axle was ripped off BEFORE we went through some really watery muddy trails, and on the way home i quickly found out mud+gears=kaboom . oh ya also check the rubber boot/seal on the tranny where the shifter is if its a standard. i dunno bout chevys but the one on my jeep likes to tear. if your planning on going over the carb, i think you need to invest in a boat lol

Balls First
09-26-2006, 10:23 PM
hahaha the boots not even there and i have No idea where to get one and yeah ive already ran the breathers to the roof im putting the snorkel in next week and yeah im not goin over the carb cuz if im that deep im already fucked lol i just wanna be able to handle upto the heads im mounting the CB and the CD deck to the roof and i have to rewire most of the crap under the dash but we'll see how it all works and yeah mud and gears dont work hahaha me and a buddy had to drive his 4runner home on the front end alone we blew the rear out at stave and just dropped the shaft and limped it home good thing my place is like 20 from there