PDA

View Full Version : Help Removing Front Shackles

Ditchpig
09-23-2006, 08:18 PM
I've gotta take my front shackles out and replace them with new 2" lift shackles on my Toyota. I managed to get the nuts off of the shackle bolts but now I can't back the bolts out of the frame and spring eye seeing as the almost 30 year old rubber bushings have fused themselves to the metal. Anyone have a good trick to get these things out of there?[27] There isn't much room to swing a hammer, not that I'd wanna do that anyway. I've tried prying them out with limited success and a crowbar. Not much room to move around in the front compaired to the back :)

Chewtoy
09-23-2006, 08:21 PM
LOTS of spray lube, or I've heard dish soap works too. On those, I think the shackle side comes out with the bolts.... if you have new bushings.... drill out the rubber bushing in multiple spots if you can get at it, this method works very well.

trailburban
09-23-2006, 08:47 PM
heat them up and melt the bastards out. then cut the outside sleeve and twist it out.

Dieseljeep
09-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Use a dremel and cut them out ,the last shackel bushing I used a router bit for my dremel and bought new ones they were fairly cheap.

Ditchpig
09-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I bought new Poly bushings, I wouldn't be fooling around with those old rubber ones. They are all cracked to hell anyway. I'll put a heat gun on the bushings and see if that gets things moving. I sprayed lube on em last night before I quit for the day, so maybe they will be a little looser. I only have 1 problem left... the bolts on the new shackles are WAY bigger then the stock bolts and I bought stock sized bushings :( I'm going to have to figure something out on that one.

Ditchpig
09-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Oh, just BTW, in case anyone is wondering about the dish soap thing it's the way that you put bushings in. Works great seeing as you can't use a spray lube like WD-40 on bushings cause it'll eat them up. Install new bushings with either silicone lube or dish soap :)

Grantman
09-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Toyota shackle bolts are part of the shackle half opposite the nuts, but they are only held in with a knurl. Heat the bolts with a torch till the bushings smoke then pry the shackle free from the bushings. If you check the new shackle bolts with one of your new bushings they should fit, as the stock toy' bolts are shouldered and 4mm larger than the thread size. After that you will have to clean the old bushing debris from the frame/spring wrap, but don't worry about metal shells from the old bushings, toyotas don't use them.

Dieseljeep
09-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I bought new Poly bushings, <snip>. I only have 1 problem left... the bolts on the new shackles are WAY bigger then the stock bolts and I bought stock sized bushings :( I'm going to have to figure something out on that one.

Drill to the size of the new bolt or buy a correct size bolt .

Ditchpig
09-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Dammit! I knew I should have more than 1 drill bit! I seriously only have 1 drill bit so maybe I should figure that out before heading to town this afternoon :) I'm an electrician and we don't need drillbits!! Then bolts in there (8.8 grade) are the ones I gotta use, so drilling it is the answer!

shockless
09-24-2006, 02:32 PM
heat em with a torch and pull them out

mudbud
10-15-2006, 02:56 PM
thats the fastes way to do it

bakelite
10-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Hot wrench....for sure. [36]

Tmax
10-15-2006, 03:45 PM
like othere said heat may be your solution here. the way I used to do this was just heating it long enough until the rubber starts to burn. once burning, most of it will melt out and it should come apart easily.

Denaliboy
10-15-2006, 05:35 PM
if you have new bushings torch is the way to go

Lurker
10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, the torch is what I used. It doesn't hurt to have a water hose and a fire extinguisher around for the removal.

And a big cold chisel/punch, but I guess you don't have much swinging room...

MetalMan
10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Torches become your best friend after a while, they are beautiful things...

MudRam
10-19-2006, 10:35 PM
A torch works but you dont want to get the eye of the leaf spring too hot or youll take the temper out of the metal and the spring could potentially break....Use a zip wheel on a grinder and go up between the shackle and spring on both sides and cut through the bolt then drive em, of press em out when there on the ground[cheers]

Troy
10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
get them nice and red hot while u melt them out and roast some marshmellows or hotdogs while your under there[36]