PDA

View Full Version : Welding The Rear

SilverCherry
09-21-2006, 05:18 PM
So I think I am going to go ahead and weld the rear axel on my truck. Can't afford a locker right now.

Right now she is a daily driver, but thanks to Big_Ern [36] for giving me details, Im going to buy a daily driver before I do.

Is there anyone else with a 4Runner who has done this? What do you think about it??

stuckle
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
good if you dont like tires

dont drive it much on the street

to weld it mke sure u pre heat it on the bbq and let it cool on the bbq after

StinkFinger
09-21-2006, 05:21 PM
it will drive fine but where tiers

mijinkal
09-21-2006, 05:40 PM
I just welded the front of my 4runner and I love it. I wouldn't do it to the rear end if you're going to drive on the road alot. the steering is kinda shitty on solid ground, but I only lock one hub untill I need 2 locked up. I haven't tested it out in the mud yet but I'm shure it'll go like stink. It handled the rocks great, went up a run I didn't think I had a chance at. I got Taran at BCC to do it for $40, that way I know it was done right! :)

shortbusracing
09-22-2006, 05:26 PM
If you don't have the funds for a locker I say break out the welder. There are alot of opinions on methods the one that I tried after a blow up and I really wanted to go wheeling was the old 110 wire feed. It worked for that day but I don't recomend it. Doing it proper with an arc welder and as clean as posible lasts alot longer.

Big_Ern
09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
I just welded the front of my 4runner and I love it. I wouldn't do it to the rear end if you're going to drive on the road alot. the steering is kinda shitty on solid ground, but I only lock one hub untill I need 2 locked up. I haven't tested it out in the mud yet but I'm shure it'll go like stink. It handled the rocks great, went up a run I didn't think I had a chance at. I got Taran at BCC to do it for $40, that way I know it was done right! :)

She's got an '89 runner with IFS. I don't think the IFS would survive with a welded front diff.

FINGERS
09-22-2006, 05:41 PM
doo eet[36]

As long as you dont mind the tire wear its great ...

and yes im still lookin for a v6 third member [27]

lincoln locked
09-22-2006, 08:26 PM
i liked mine , but i would make sure you have a spair ,so if or when in blows you dont have to buy one in a pinch ,cus thay can cost you a prety peny , but you can normaly find one for 100 or 150 if you have time to shop around [cheers]

fullsizebronco
09-22-2006, 08:45 PM

will this guy weld other ppls for 40 $ maybe throw in some beer :confused: would love to at least get the rear welded in my one truck

how does it wear your tires having both locked not like it matters to much i only drive to the bog or trail then all the other time its parked

Chewtoy
09-22-2006, 08:48 PM
As long as air pressure was maintained, the only extra tire wear I noticed in my yota pickup was smoking off my Krawlers or Michelins at will. I noticed better (more predictable and consistant) handling, and no ill IMO effects. YES, you make noise while turning, but it's not too bad unless it's new pavement. Traction improves a lot, and spinning offroad is greatly reduced, where MOST of my previous tire wear was occuring. While I wouldn't do it in a fullsize, and I'm not sure about weight differences on the rear pickup vs runner, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

HEAVY METAL
09-22-2006, 09:08 PM
love my welded rear.....,,,,,,

fhorsley
09-22-2006, 09:30 PM
I welded mine. but one peice of advise is that it will kick ass on the trail, but you will quit driving it around town; because it is a pain in the neck on pavement.

ottoman
09-23-2006, 12:30 AM
i welded mine i my burb and still no problems, i welded 1 for punk and 2 for big blazer and as far as i know they are still all working fine

Gaelen
09-23-2006, 07:19 AM
I have driven both welded and locked cars or trucks around before and really never had any trouble around town.....I trve my locked truck daily and really havent noticed toooo much on the tire wear

fullsizebronco
09-23-2006, 09:51 AM
any one wanna weld my 9'' lol i got a 24 of bud with your name on it ;) but i need a good job because i bagg the shit out of my trucks all i use it for is offroad

83Toy4x4
09-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Stinkfinger is a good fabricator. Get him to do it for you if he's not busy.

fullsizebronco
09-23-2006, 11:30 AM
if he lived in kelowna then yah im kinda stuck here i work everyday .....:(

83Toy4x4
09-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Im a little slow, didnt see that you are from kelowna, but meh, maybe if you come down get him to do it then.