PDA

View Full Version : Xj expert needed for information..

Steev
09-18-2006, 08:47 PM
So my 1990s engine is pretty much toast. I was doing the rear main and when I pulled the bearing cap I noticed the bearing surface was gone.. nearly to the copper. So I started looking for a new cherokee with a good engine to swap all my stuff on it it.

I picked up a 1989 limited with a 4.0HO swapped in it. I am tearing it down now and have a few issues.

1. none of the power windows/door locks/mirrors work.. and I am planning to just put my doors off my 1990 onto the 1989..Is there a plug I can disconnect to make the doors a bolt on and bolt off affair?

2. The floorpans have all been replaced (related to question 1) and the wiring for the power mirror switch/control is gone, can I easily use the wiring from my 1990 ie:unplug and plug in again

*Note I am not afraid of rewiring the whole vehicle but I need to get this all done and be rid of the extra cherokee sooner rather than later

3. Is there anyway to find out what year engine has been swapped in, ie: location of serial number and what to do with it

4. It has an electronic speedometer and my 1990 doesn't. I want to use the transfer case out of my 1990 since I just rebuilt it in the new jeep. I assume its just a matter of swapping tailshaft housings am I right about this. Also if the engine is newer than I think and the output shafts are different I can swap the input from one transfer case to another correct?(242 to 242)

5. Final question.. it has failed aircare for NOx. Aircare reports 1392 and the max allowed is 1115. Are the NOx standards different for the high output 4.0L and all I will have to do is alert them to the newer engine and it will pass.

Many thanks to any and all responses. If anyone is looking for parts let me know by email lt_clark2@hotmail.com

Steev
09-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Figured most of it now

1. I just needed to remove the trim at the bottom of each door.. found the plug ins..

2. I should have no problem with swapping wiring.. un plug plug in

3. Will find the info on the internet.. NAXJA or something

4. The tailshaft will un bolt and bolt on to my 1990 TC with no problem

5. Aircare standards can be found on their site..

Dieseljeep
09-20-2006, 03:52 AM
The high NOx is a fuckkered or dirty EGR valve.

Matt
09-20-2006, 07:05 PM
what are the other #'s on the driving test. if they are near or higher than average pass then your cat is nfg. if they are well below average the egr doesn't work. egr valve is cheap brand new. as far as what year motor was put in come by my shop i should be able to tell you by looking at it.

Steev
09-20-2006, 08:58 PM
There isn't an EGR valve on a 4.0L High Output..

The readings are 39 ppm HC, 0.07% CO, and 1395ppm NOx

I haven't had a chance to start working on the engine yet as I am still hacking out the rats nest of wiring the previous owner left behind.. (soldered connections just taped, some just twisted together and taped.)

I am going to seafoam it and do a standard LOF, and tune up and take it through.. if it fails put on a new cat and be done with it.