PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on this ...

jeepxj89
09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121194

hey guys im doing a disk swap on the 9 inch thats in my xj (except i will most likely use the eldorado calipers with ebrake , even though i hear they suck) , i put this here since a lot of people may be running 9"'s in there trucks since its a popular diff and this is such an easy disk swap for big bearing 9"s i thought you guys would like to see it :D. anywho, i would like your guys thoughts on somthing here. the caliper bracket is .250 thick and the stock backing plate is .150 thick. after reaming the holes out a bit grinding down the axle flange , and bolting the bracket to the bearing flange, there would be an extra .100 amount of space between the bearing and the retainer plate. now these guys order a special retainer from currie enterprises that has a lip built into it to compensate for the .100. but im cheap, and dont like waiting so im just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on a simple and cheap way to make up for that .100 of space?

Nutbar
09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
If the hole in the 44 backing plate is smaller than the bearing and seal I don't know why you couldn't use it as the bearing retainer no screwin around with anything.

jeepxj89
09-18-2006, 08:04 PM
you mean a retainer from a 44? or the caliper bracket? i was thinking of using the bracket as a retainer, but i just gotta find a set first ( HINT, HINT anyone lol) before i can mock everything up and see how it fits. apparently theyve only been using blazer brackets.i see on the pirate thread a guy said he used the bracket but hasnt emailed me back on if he modded it or anything for it to fit proper. if i remember right from when i took my axle aprt the first time i have the older style big bearing where the bearing isnt flush with the axle flange, it sticks out a bit, but that was awhile ago. ill start rippin apart the 9 again tomorow and see what needs to be done. mikey , you still down for doin those 9 inch gears?