PDA

View Full Version : front IFS diff gear help

Toyrantula
09-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Earlier this summer I put my new 5.9 geared diff in my Toy.

I turned the hubs into lock as I have put Warn Manual hubs instead of the ADD hubs. I drove about 5 miles and the truck slowed down and the front end went bang then started to pick up speed again. I pulled over ASAP and felt around he diff case looking for a break. No breaks or leaks but man it was Fn HOT!!

I came to realize in my haste that I forgot to put in diff oil.

So I am looking at putting in new spacer , front bearing, then rear bearing , spacer, oil slinger and oil seal as these are most likely not reusable again anyways after being cooked.

What I am trying to figure out ( going by this webpage http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/suspensionandaxle/24disas.pdf )

is when i put the bearings in and the spacer being new I would have to find out what the torque values are .

Any tips on doing this? I bought a dial gauge and magnetic base to try and learn this stuff for myself. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Just need to round up the parts.

oh yeah almost forgot.

I put oil back into the burnt diff. No difference. I go to put the t case shifter into 4 lo or hi and the indicator light comes on for a very brief second and will not stay in 4 wd.

WOndering if the burnt bearing might cause this or if it could be the the intermediate shaft in the clutch case or maybe the clutch hub?

Any smart ways of figuring out this problem? I need to get this done before winter or find a cheap 8" rear diff with 4.35 or 4.37`s whatever the ration and put the stock IFS diff back in since it works.

Thanks guys.

wick07
09-18-2006, 07:38 PM
wow that was stupid....let me think ill get back to you on the problem

Mr.Zuki
09-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Ty, If there is anything I can do for you pleas ask. I am in Vernon atleast 3 times a week now so LET me know BUD!

I spent 2 full dayd cleaning the shop up and making scrap metal runs and dump runs. So I will be able to help if you need! ASK! Or I [slap] !!! Yes my hands still work... So [kicknuts] doesnt work lol [15]

So call me! And get me on your MSN again! Or use it! [f]

Talk to you soon

Toyrantula
09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
I know I have to do the bearins up front, but I have to figure out why it wont stay in 4wd.

Big_Ern
09-19-2006, 02:06 PM
there's gotta be someone around who just did a SAS and has their old IFS diff sitting around

Toyrantula
09-19-2006, 05:14 PM
The original stock geared IFS is fine, the 529 IFS diff is hooped.

The 529 rea 8" is fine and the stock rear 8" is hooping now

So I have one of each that is good and one of each that is gone.

Big_Ern
09-19-2006, 05:35 PM
if the IFS 5.29 r&p is fine still then just swap it into the stock ifs 3rd

Toyrantula
09-19-2006, 06:19 PM
guess i could do that.

Figured I might as well replace all bearings etc while I am in there. STill need to pick up a few tools like a micrometer etc.

shockless
09-19-2006, 06:33 PM
hey ty, anytime you need a hand man, you know how to get ahold of me

sj-x 500
09-19-2006, 06:46 PM
ty, 549 9576. just lemme know when you need it done.

Toyrantula
09-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the offer guys. I have to come up with parts money first and beer cash second.

Mr.Zuki
09-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Send me a day and I will be there. I am sure these guys could show me better ways to do it and teach me other ways. I have not done many of the hard gears but the stock gears are easy. Worst I did was a 5.71 and it worked great but had it pointed into the air and got no oil in it so my claim I did ! but it didnt get fed. :( :D Ty, Mail me to tell me aday ahdead so I can make it. Thanx bud!

Toyrantula
09-20-2006, 05:17 AM
I have to do it on the weekend.

My dialysis schedule is constantly changing and they keep changing my meds since the attack. It may be awhile b4 i get a start, alot depends on how I am that day.

shockless
09-22-2006, 10:02 PM
hey ty, gimme a call ill come out on the weekend man,