PDA

View Full Version : Whats going onnnnn?

Metallica1
09-17-2006, 10:10 PM
So heres the deal...

Got my truck running yesterday... got a jump start from the jeep.. let it run for a real long time... went out to take er for a burn tonight... and well theres nothing. turn the key.. nothing.. just a faint clicking sound.. the engine light and such are barley lit.. so whats buggered up now[f] i've checked my alternator and its good to go... checked the battery a month or so back and it said it was good too... whats draining it so fast? the truck wont start(without a jumpstart) within 3-4 hours of turning it off.. completely dead...

the truck has an alarm... its never turned on... but im starting to think it might have something to do with it. when i first got the alarm in i noticed my headlights getting dimmer and dimmer and then going through Manning park at 3am they were gone:eek: .. some knob ran a power wire for the alarm onto the headlight fuse.... since the alarm its been having a hard time getting the juice and keepin the juice to start the bitch[27]

so in a nutshell....
truck no start without jeeps help (hurts to say..[27] )
truck dies really really fast...

what else should i check?

btw... alarms coming out soon as possible. got one of these instead.. http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/grt-2001_m.jpg

BrokenToy
09-17-2006, 10:26 PM
only other thing i can think of is a bad ground/short somewhere (most likely somewhere in the alarm system they installed from what you're sayin) Just gonna have to wait & see if it still gives you problems once the alarm is out

Metallica1
09-17-2006, 10:32 PM
theres random cut wires hanging from under my dash... lime green ones like the alarm guys used.. but why would the alarm still work if random things are hanging? [27]

Squishy
09-17-2006, 10:38 PM
i think you should probably trade it for a ford

Metallica1
09-17-2006, 10:40 PM
i already have a ford [27]
its worse than my truck.... but atleast it starts...

Gaelen
09-17-2006, 10:48 PM
your battery may just be bad
had that witha friedns truck on the weekend, it wouldnt start without a jump even after a full day of driving

Squishy
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
heres what kept happening on my mustang, the starter was really bad, it kept drawing so much that by the time the car would start, the battery was completely drained, and it wouldnt fully charge by the time i shut the car off. so basically i replaced an alternator and battery, when the problem was the starter, might wanna check that

Ironman
09-17-2006, 10:53 PM
i realllly hate to say this but the guy to talk to is phil(epic3), when it comes to electrical stuff he is good[cheers]

BrokenToy
09-17-2006, 10:53 PM
theres random cut wires hanging from under my dash... lime green ones like the alarm guys used.. but why would the alarm still work if random things are hanging? [27]

alarm can still work if it has a short but your battery won't like it

Metallica1
09-17-2006, 10:55 PM
so pretty much i should get that alarm out of there... see if it still does the same thing? if so, then check the starter... thanks[36]

Squishy
09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
so pretty much i should get that alarm out of there... see if it still does the same thing? if so, then check the starter... thanks[36]

what you can do is put a digital multimeter between the negative and the battery negative(with the battery disconnected) and the key off. i forget which setting to use, but one of them will show if there is a drain, and if there is, pull one fuse at a time until you find the problem area.

ill try to find out what setting on the mulitmeter to use, but thats what i did and it worked[cheers]

Metallica1
09-17-2006, 10:59 PM
sweet let me know.

Squishy
09-17-2006, 11:02 PM
you set it to milliamperes, and connect it between the battery and the car. Don't try to start the car, just measure the idle current with everything nominally off(someone smrt correct me if im wrong)

BrokenToy
09-17-2006, 11:13 PM
with the veh off, should be no drain

Jroc
09-17-2006, 11:31 PM
FUCK I WROTE OUTLIKE 30 LINES OF SHIT TO FIXES IT BUT FUCKIN WISKEY!!!! FUCK FUCK FUCK . FIXED YOUR PROB COMPLEATLY HOLLY FUCKING WISKEY BRAINL RE-WIRE YOUR ALRARM SEPERATE FROM YOUR HBEADLIGHTS ?"STOOPID PLACE" KICK THEIOR ASS THEM DO IT YOUR SELF ( YOULLL DO WAT BETTER BECAUSE YOU CAM CUTE YOUR WAY THROUGHT IT! LOL, ANY WAYS IF THAT DOSENT WORK , CLEAN ALLL YOUR CONECTIONS (BATERY POST, WIREING, SOLONION, STARTER , ALL OF IT, I HAVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS AND SPEND FUCK LOADS OF CASH OVER A BAD CONNECTION, ITS WORHT THE TIME !!!! TRUST ME . JUST DO IT BUY A WIRE BRUSH (BRASS) (PRINCES AUTO/CRAPPY TIRE) CLAEN EVERY SPOT YOU CAN , IT WILL BE MORE THAT WORTH IT, THEB SPRay silicone over every part you cleaned an youlll nevedr ha ve a problem again!!!! might be wiskey helpen this response but i still stand fully behind wha5t i just said!!!!!!!!!! quote me on it (i only read first post) this will"""""" fix any probs your having , if i was near your place i would fix it for free( not just because your hot, i wold even help heavy!!!! lol) electronics work very eassy if their clean and hookjed up right !!!!! let me know if i was wrong or naled it! jroc

Toyquad
09-17-2006, 11:42 PM
after you jump start it and let it run ......... will it start right back up again by itself? or does it need a jump everytime??? if it only needs a jump after its been sitting for a while, try charging the battery.... then letting it sit with the battery cables unhooked. If it still dies after a few hours..... then its the battery.

a few other tests you can do.......
-load test battery, and check with one of those hydrometer thingy's or swap batteries with the one in your car and see what happens..........
- do test as squishy suggested to see if there is a draw somewhere. If you dont have a multimeter, a test light will work also. If the test light lights up, there is a draw some where......
-if all that checks out ok do a amp draw test on the starter.

My guess, after already seeing some of the wiring on your truck[f] if its not the battery its a draw somewhere. Or a combination of the two. Batteries dont like to be drained to the point that they are dead very much. So a draw in your truck , could have killed the the battery.......

some tools that come in handy when your checking this type of problem..... a multi meter, test light, amp clamp, load tester...... all of which i have at work ...... as well as a gas tank thats sitting out in the rain....[f]

Big_Ern
09-18-2006, 01:47 AM
yup do what squishy said.

its normal to have a small amount of draw when the truck is off (less then 0.5amps) due to the clock, radio's memory for stations etc, ecu possibly. But anything over 1amp is definitly a sign of a drain. Altho to kill a good battery in just 3 or 4 hours would take a large drain 10+amps

if the truck just clicks when you try to start it you may need to replace the starter contacts (about $15 from toyota). But it sounds like you've got other issues...

Jimmie
09-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Contacts like Ern said my truck did the same thing wouldnt start just click click unless i jumped it load tested the battery it was fine 1 15$ contact problem solved :D

Toyquad
09-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Contacts like Ern said my truck did the same thing wouldnt start just click click unless i jumped it load tested the battery it was fine 1 15$ contact problem solved :D

if you read her post carefully you would see that she said the lights on the dash were dim..... ie. dead battery. [cheers]

get it fixed yet ???

Ditchpig
09-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Jroc's post owned, just wanted to add that in and gj on the capslock!! Drunk typing FTW!

Ditchpig
09-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah and I just bought starter contacts from Lordco and they were 7 bucks :)

Metallica1
09-26-2006, 11:06 PM
took the old battery out, new in... ripped the alarm out... and had to do some rewiring after the battery jumped and ripped all the wires... left it over night.. started no problems. looks like its good to go... now i need to fix the other 2381784731094 things wrong with it...[27]
thanks for all the input/help guys.[cheers]

GOT MUD
09-27-2006, 11:10 PM
I agree with Jroc, change the hot lead on that alarm from the head lights. (to its own source)!!!!!! it could be the problem. if that does'nt do it, i've kinda had the same problem, my truck needed a jump, gotter goin, ran fer a few hours or so, shut it off, all i got was a click.click. or nothin every time i turned the key. it was the starter drawing to many amps. but make sure that all the batterie & starter connections are clean cause that could be it to. yota's, or at least mine has been famous for major acid build up at the terminals, which has interfered with it starting.

Jroc
09-28-2006, 08:16 PM
I agree with Jroc, change the hot lead on that alarm from the head lights. (to its own source)!!!!!! it could be the problem. if that does'nt do it, i've kinda had the same problem, my truck needed a jump, gotter goin, ran fer a few hours or so, shut it off, all i got was a click.click. or nothin every time i turned the key. it was the starter drawing to many amps. but make sure that all the batterie & starter connections are clean cause that could be it to. yota's, or at least mine has been famous for major acid build up at the terminals, which has interfered with it starting.

Man was i loaded when i posted that[15] [15] [15] [15] [31]