PDA

View Full Version : few questions bout drive shaft and sas

tyty_220
09-17-2006, 11:59 AM
so im planning on doing a sas on my explorer (its a 94) and:
1.) i was wondering what axle would be a good one to use (but nothing to pricey) and would be able to support the 5.0L that im swapping in. also;
2.) i was wondering how can you extend a drive shaft by yourself? ive heard of it being done before but im not to sure how. it would just be a temporary thing untill i get my 5.0 in. also;
3.) how do you measure the lengh of how long of a drive shaft you will need

Big_Ern
09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
to measure DS length you'll want to have the lift finished. then measure the distance from the flange (or ujoint strap, whatever) on the diff, to the one on the t-case. Now depending on how much slip you've got, usually for the front with leafs and shackle in the rear you'll want 1/4 to 1/3 of your slip to be compression, and the rest extension. so if you've got 4" travel slip leave 1-1/4" ish showing at ride height. For a rear shaft you would want to split the slip half and half.

to extend the DS just cut out the old tube and replace it with something longer.

Not sure what side drop you have, but if its passenger then a toy axle would be a good choice (or d44), or d44 if its a driver drop.

Explorer guy418
09-17-2006, 05:30 PM
throw a jeep axle in there, same bolt pattern as back, length and ya :)

tyty_220
09-17-2006, 08:08 PM
thanx guys, now to go axle and leaf spring hunting :D