PDA

View Full Version : Fender coverage laws for bigger tires...

WagoneerXJ
09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
does anyone know, or have some documents as to the maximum a tire is allowed to stick out of the vehicle? I got stopped today and given a 30 day fix it slip because my tires stick out WAY too far.

Now this is on a 98 Cherkoee, stock flares with 32X11.50's on 15X8 rims...3.75" backspace. My tires stick out of the flare about 1.5 inches. I've been told that's legal. I even passed a safety with them on. The cop today was tryin to tell me they stick out 5-6 inches from the FENDER. I said the flares are on there for that reason. He says the law is for the fender, NOT the flares. I think he's nuts. Can anyone prove me right?

HEAVY METAL
09-11-2006, 04:34 PM
flares are fenders... but when ypou look downm at your tire from ur fender or flare you cannot see any tread.... thats the law....

StinkFinger
09-11-2006, 04:34 PM
your tiers are not alowed to sitck out past the body of the vehicle the flares are part of the body

DirtyComanche
09-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Somebody found an anal cop.

B
09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
id rive in to the cop shop tell u fixed it !!! ... half the time they won't get off there buts to look ... if they do tell them u went out and bought new rims cause the other ones wear a wider ouffset [wako] ...... most wont care about that much if ur junk is clean and looks mantained ... i would .... [cheers]

WagoneerXJ
09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Somebody found an anal cop.

yes, yes I did. Good thing I have a friend who is an RCMP officer. I explained it to him and he set me straight on the whole situation. It is true, no supposed to have any stickin out of the body/flare.

He says I'm a good kid and don't cause any trouble...and they don't stick out a whole lot so he said in about a week he'll sign off on it. Looks like my problem is solved

shortbusracing
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Ya until the cop see's your jeep again and wheels you over again and this time sites you for full inspection. Bad cop no donut!!!!!

In The Zone
09-12-2006, 01:46 PM
yup exactly the law is the law some cops will let shit slide some wont..

i had one pull me over 9 x in 2weeks just to be a cop......

if it is sticking out and your buddy signed off on it he will be in shit....

but i guess he knows that and is willing to doit..

next time they will VI u

ray
09-12-2006, 07:23 PM
basterds know i have toget flares im sticking out 4.5 inches of my tires

B
09-12-2006, 08:23 PM
lol i remember this one cop harrassing evan the blue after he put his swampers on ... used to allways get us coming back from sumwere wheeling ...[36]

but ev had street tires to .... so we'd swap them get signed of put the swampers back on ..... the last time he got us he said next time ill give u coupons .... [15] [15]

[cheers]

ray
09-12-2006, 09:16 PM
hah funnie i would have loved to see that b

Larry
09-12-2006, 10:12 PM
my tires stuck out a couple inches and i got a safety!

09-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Mine stick out about 4 inches but everybody keeps sayin i'll be fine.I dont have that much faith.

WagoneerXJ
09-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Ya until the cop see's your jeep again and wheels you over again and this time sites you for full inspection. Bad cop no donut!!!!!

Well the thing is, the cop that gave me the ticket is from outta town. They come through every year or so. Once they're gone, they're gone for a long time. Besides I do have a set of Swampers on skinny rims I could put on, have him sign the ticket, then go home and change em again. That way he can't get in trouble.

Basically, the local cops don't give a shit about my tires stickin out a bit. I've been through countless other seatbelt checks and drunk driving roadblocks with the cops here and they've never said a word.

Toyquad
09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
you didnt get it in new west did you? some asshole cops there.........2 VI's and 1 speeding ticket in a month and a half.....both VI's n stock vehicles except having tires that stick out an inch..... he did find a couple other things wrong with it...... no license plate light and no horn......[16] good thing i got the hook up for MVI's[49]

WagoneerXJ
09-13-2006, 01:11 PM
you didnt get it in new west did you? some asshole cops there.........

Nope, I'm on the other side of BC...out in the sticks [f]

m j
09-13-2006, 01:27 PM
I cannot find anything that states you have to help a cop find violations on your ride.
when this was asked on PC4x4 the Copsucker roled out a section that states you have to help them detrmine if your brakes are adjusted.
obviously for truckers with manually adjusted airbrake slack adjusters.
it specifically stated "for the purpose of checking brake adjustment"
when I pointed that out they never did come back with something that says you have to saw the wheel back n forth or honk the horn or anything else.

if you know someone that will give a fair MVI test it is worth it to tell the cop to fuck off when they ask you to do a bunch of crap to encriminate yourself.

it really burned my ass having road side moron ask me to l0ck up my brakes and turn my 16" wide swampers lock to lock on pavement repeatedly while he tried to find anything to write me on.
end result, nothing found.

In The Zone
09-13-2006, 01:41 PM
exactly unless the pig has his ticket in some mechanical feild he can write me up a notice and order and fuck off..... then it can be passed by a qualified person.

if your shit is on the road it should be safe for your own good as well as the others u share the road with ....

nykoma
09-13-2006, 04:35 PM
i had a 78 bronc and i put a lift in it and 35's and bushwackers on it. Rc's try to tell me it was not legal. i pointed out that some newer trucks come stock with fender flares for wider tires. told him to make better use of his time.
after telling him that he left me alone.[cheers]

Chewtoy
09-14-2006, 09:41 PM
You guys that get pulled over by the same cop repeatedly should look into filling harassment claims against the officers.

stuckle
09-14-2006, 09:46 PM
mine stick out...

i dont get hastled...

exo_toy
09-14-2006, 10:04 PM
maybe cause it hasnt been on the road?

Styx
09-14-2006, 11:11 PM
if your shit is on the road it should be safe for your own good as well as the others u share the road with ....

I agree 100% dude...[cheers]