PDA

View Full Version : Computer Protection

runner
09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I saw on trucks a while ago that it is ok to silicone the computer to make it waterproof. I noticed on mine that there are some vents there and I was wondering if it's ok to silicone those vents or do they need to be open for air to cool the computer down? If so, are there any other ways to waterproof my computer?

Sonofx51
09-11-2006, 02:57 PM
If your talking abou the air flow vents for the CPU i wouldnt suggest siliconing them. Your talking about a laptop right? Most of the processors especially the Intel-M class processors dont actually put out that much heat.. but air flow is always good.. but you could test your CPU temps to beable to tell the difference. My laptop i use inside its carrying case all the time and it doenst really effect the CPU Temps that much maybe a degree or 2. Over all its just taking life expectance from your computer.

Mr Vic
09-11-2006, 03:01 PM
do you mean the ecu in your truck? it should be fine to silicone it, but if it has vents its probly cause it generates a bunch of heat and trapping that heat could eventually burn out the computer. if there is enough slack in the wires try to mount it higher under the dash

Big_Ern
09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
[stupid] just move it up higher. The toy harness should have plenty of length to re-route the wires up into the glove box. if you ever go that high in the water you'll have more issues than just ecu to worry about.

epic3
09-18-2006, 01:26 PM
[stupid] like wet lunch