PDA

View Full Version : XJ Steering setup

Mr Vic
09-11-2006, 01:16 PM
a few weeks back i bought a 89 cherokee i am using for parts cause it has a 6" lift and non disco front axle, SYE 242 t case. didn't really look at the steering setup too much till the other day.

looks like they removed the cherokee steering linkage and put on a YJ style with bent drag link, and added a steering stabalizer to the drag link by welding some square tube from the frame. looks kinda crappy to me.

would this setup be safe for street driving and on the trail? i would put it all into my 88 cherokee minus the extra stabalizer attached to the drag link unless it should be there. i don't do much wheeling right now, but i am hoping to put this lift into my 88 2door cherokee so i can get out more.

anyway here is the steering setup. ehat do you guys think?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6881/sept1089cherokee001largeol5.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8047/sept1089cherokee005largeok9.jpg

In The Zone
09-11-2006, 01:23 PM
i really dont see the need for it there is already one lower on the diff from the tie rod is there not?

and ya it looks hokey

did it come with the sway relase as well?

either way i would lose the upper stabalizer......

Mr Vic
09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
yea i will be getting rid of the upper one, its the bent draglink that is the main concern. the bottom one is on the tierod and that will stay. i have the bars for the sway bar links just took them out.

In The Zone
09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
nice hemi joint on the track bar....

is it tight?

the draglink looks like it was bent to match angles with track bar..

i would say it is ok if it feels good n tight...

Nutbar
09-11-2006, 06:33 PM
#1 You will need to get a tapered pin bolt for the hole where the strg stabilizer originally went on the Tie Rod or it will bend there (I have done a similar set up on my Comanche and had my tie rod bend on me because of that hole)

#2 the drag link should not need to be bent and because it is bent it will now be a weak link, being prone to bending more where it is now bent

DirtyComanche
09-12-2006, 07:20 AM
The only reason to bend a drag link like that is so it will clear leaf springs.

Hmm.

Mr Vic
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
thanks Mike, i will get a bolt for the tierod hole. i will probably just run it like this till i can get a good xj linkage setup either from currie or something like that. would a linkage from a grand cherokee fit and hold up against the angles from a 6" lift?

In The Zone
09-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Ya i was looking at lucys steering and it is straight

see Mikey Knows his Jeep stuff......

Nutbar
09-12-2006, 08:18 PM
The 93 to 98 ZJ Grand Cherokees is the same strg assy as the XJs the 99 and newer WJ Grands use different knuckles the right hand one having an extra arm for the drag link and one for the tie rod you can swap these knuckles and strg gear I believe if you use aftermarket wheels with low backspacing.

jeepxj89
09-28-2006, 07:17 PM
with the wj knuckle swap, dont you have to do somthing with the axleshaft stubs? i was going to do it on my 30 when i had it. i think there was a diffrence in somthing because xjs use axle shafts and wj's used cv shafts or somthing?

Nutbar
09-28-2006, 07:22 PM
If you have 89 and prior axles you will have to get the wheel bearing hubs, stub axles, rotors and calipers for the 90 and later XJs, and either low offset wheels or wheel spacers, I believe.

Mr Vic
09-28-2006, 07:42 PM
thanks again Mike [cheers] what i read was basically: stock Grand cherokee steering assembly was "beefier" bigger tierods opr something, can't find the article now. so much mis-information on the net its hard to know what is true or not[27]

i pulled the front diff out and had a better look at the steering linkages. compared to my YJ setup and my stock 88 cherokee, the drag link looks to be a thicker tube than what is on either of those jeeps...weird.

Mr Vic
09-28-2006, 07:45 PM
If you have 89 and prior axles you will have to get the wheel bearing hubs, stub axles, rotors and calipers for the 90 and later XJs, and either low offset wheels or wheel spacers, I believe.

i wanted to put the front diff from this parts jeep into my stocker cause its a non disco housing..not sure what year Jeep started putting those into the cherokee's.... but after i pulled it out i noticed the outer axle seal is missing.. so that sucks but probably better in the long run cause i don't want to worry about bad seals and fukin up the axle..

Nutbar
09-28-2006, 07:51 PM
The non disconect axle came in any 87 and later XJ that had the 242 tcase in it and all 95 and later XJs I believe

Nutbar
09-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Oh and the axle seals are in at the carrier on both sides on the non disconect axles, the wheel bearing seals are part of the wheel bearing spindle assembly.

Mr Vic
09-28-2006, 09:47 PM
must be the wheel bearing, it is that white plastic piece that is on the end of the axle where it comes out of the housing in the middle of the "c".. i will get a better look at whats missing and needs replacing this weekend hopefully

thanks Mike [cheers] [cheers]

Nutbar
09-29-2006, 02:04 AM
Ok the piece you are talkin about isn't absolutely necessary it is there to try to keep large debris from gettin into the axle tube but won't actually hurt anything if it is missing.