PDA

View Full Version : axles diffs tires

Ugly
09-10-2006, 01:54 PM
stock toyota axles with 38's open diff, 4.2? 4.3 litre motor ? good >? bad? boom?

trevyota
09-10-2006, 02:02 PM
aaron broke a birf... with open and 36's.......with the 22re......

do what ever makes yah happy... the 4.3's a good motor though..

Ugly
09-10-2006, 02:03 PM
birf???

09-10-2006, 02:24 PM
that is what toy uses inatesd of universals on the end of there axels

kamloopsyota
09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
throw on some birf rings

stuckle
09-10-2006, 03:45 PM
just dont turn

your gona blow them up... so buy some o-feilds or some long's and call her a day, but then your gona need heat treated gears and then arb studs and blah blah

might as well just buy a d44[f]

[9][9]

slacker
09-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I still say it depends on how you drive ...

I had 36" swampers on ARB locked 5:29's , 150HP for (12 YEARS back in the 80's)
http://www.members.shaw.ca/slacker502/images/mud.jpg

NEVER broke 1 barfield ..

truck on the right
http://www.members.shaw.ca/slacker502/images/group.jpg

38's and a vortec 350 ... on open - stock diffs ... never ..ever broke a barfield ..

geeeze .. this was 20-25 years ago , cant remember exactly when , but ARB's just became avaliable for toyota 8" axles ... I was 1 of the first to have em , we didnt have all these fancy axles and shit .. and we did just fine ..

how do you drive ?

Mr.Zuki
09-10-2006, 08:21 PM
I have to agree with Slacker. I ran a lincon locked front with a 350 for 5+ years and only broke one birf and it was my fault for turning fully lock and one hub open. [32]

Ugly
09-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Driving Miss dazzy is me :D
i think ^O)
i dunno i make good use of my 4.56's
But i think this whole axle birf thing figured out now[36]

FINGERS
09-10-2006, 08:48 PM
[16] [16] [16] [16] [16] [16] [16] [16]

Chewtoy
09-10-2006, 08:56 PM
I ran a 4.3L TH350, Toy case, stock diffs, rear welded, 4.37's for years, everything from 35" Krawlers to 11.00-16 Michelins to tractor tires. I cracked a Birf once, but the cause was stupidity. Ate 2 rear pinions, and one transfer case input shaft. Input and Birf were caused by the same thing... I am pretty sure one rear pinion happened at the same time. Click "The Ex" in my sig for pics. All has to do with how you drive it, and I would definitely lock the rear.... less spinning = less breaking in my opinion. I have actually tried to break stuff on purpose with no success.... like I said, the breakage was stupidity which resulted in a 3000+rpm neutral drop while 35's were 3/4 buried in sandy mud, something had to give.

Attempt at trying to break was full throttle in sticky mud, sawing wheel lock to lock, going forwards and reverse... was the only was to make progress, and after 15 minutes of this, it drove out by itself. 35's don't follow 44's very well.

Poopy
09-10-2006, 09:07 PM

38's and a vortec 350 ... on open - stock diffs ... never ..ever broke a barfield ..

geeeze .. this was 20-25 years ago , cant remember exactly when , but ARB's just became avaliable for toyota 8" axles ... I was 1 of the first to have em , we didnt have all these fancy axles and shit .. and we did just fine ..

how do you drive ?

See dood, you just totally contradicted your post in the other thread.

You ran 38's with open diffs, and 36's locked with a cheater locker, and you think you are some great driver for never blowing a birf. Anybody could wheel with open diffs and never blow a birf. I said 38's & LOCKED will create problems, I had 36's for a long time with no explosions of the birf. Wow I was right about the KC hilites too, that was just a joke! [f]

dhdey
09-10-2006, 09:14 PM

how do you drive ?

I agree, if your into playing in the mud you'll be fine, cause thats where all the 'good' drivers hang out.
now if you like wheeling rock or trails with rock, mud, roots, holes, etc then your gonna blow your shit apart.

looks like you did some good driving though a mud puddle

Jimmie
09-10-2006, 09:30 PM
well back in the 80s the birfs were only a few years old now if there stock there around 2o years old and usually have allot more miles on em if your open get some smurfs and it will prob be ok :rolleyes:

Poopy
09-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I have to agree with Slacker. I ran a lincon locked front with a 350 for 5+ years and only broke one birf and it was my fault for turning fully lock and one hub open. [32]

Hey Mr Z. Is that your ride in your avatar?? Have any pics anywhere? Looks Sweeeeeet!

dhdey
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
well back in the 80s the birfs were only a few years old now if there stock there around 2o years old and usually have allot more miles on em if your open get some smurfs and it will prob be ok :rolleyes:

stock birf are fairly tough, but dont deal with shock loads well because of there hardening to ensure a long lifespan, smurfs on the other hand are softened to handle shock loads well but on the negative they have limited lifespan due to deformation over time due to severe loads put on them

Mr.Zuki
09-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey Mr Z. Is that your ride in your avatar?? Have any pics anywhere? Looks Sweeeeeet!

No it is not mine but is one of my buds. It is curently being swaped allover again onto better and bigger things :D :cool:

exo_toy
09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
just dont turn

your gona blow them up... so buy some o-feilds or some long's and call her a day, but then your gona need heat treated gears and then arb studs and blah blah

might as well just buy a d44[f]

[9][9]

a stock toyota front end is just as strong as a Dana 44. If you are going to put in a fullsize axle, go D60 dont waste time with a Dana 44 (unless it is for mall cruisin)[15]

slacker
09-11-2006, 04:47 PM
See dood, you just totally contradicted your post in the other thread.

Dood .. no contradiction here .
I would always try it and break it , before I replaced it , and what can I say ... never broken 1 .

my truck on 36's locked w/ARB's + 5:29's and I said "I never had a problem in 12 years"

That includes almost every weekend for years . I'm not saying there wont be any problems .. I'm just saying .... I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS ...

I said 38's & LOCKED will create problems, I had 36's for a long time with no explosions of the birf.
I wasn't commenting on your post
My post was answering the original posters post ... my opinion ...
we do live in a democracy .

Wow I was right about the KC hilites too, that was just a joke! [f]
Not my truck ... mine is the white one .. with the WARN lights

I agree, if your into playing in the mud you'll be fine, cause thats where all the 'good' drivers hang out.
now if you like wheeling rock or trails with rock, mud, roots, holes, etc then your gonna blow your shit apart.

looks like you did some good driving though a mud puddle

This is just 1 pic ... I have hundreds ... I just wanted to point out it wasnt a "mall cruiser" .

back then .. the whole point of it was ... to get where you were goin' . We did tons of fishin , hunting ... back country sking , Ice fishing .ect ..That was the point .. Weather it was climbin a rock face .. up a creek bed , a mud pit .. what ever Getting there was the point .

I have 27 years of 4X'n ... 20 years Management at the largest TOYOTA truck dealer/seller in Canada ... and 12 Years in my own business ... what makes YOU the expert ?

trevyota
09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
sounds likea challange....

SVG mabey?

Poopy
09-11-2006, 07:17 PM
I have 27 years of blah blah blah....

Ok you win, you've got the biggest E-Penis.

dhdey
09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
so basically you wheeled light to moderate,which for sure stock birfs will handle but when out to run hard challenging trails they dont have a chance.

And your experience was before the days of huge gear reduction which is the main factor in breakage