PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about the 88-93/94 idi trucks

tenpack
09-09-2006, 06:39 PM
edit, just called the guy and its an 87 with the 4sp. and 6.9L navistar diesel. Could anyone tell what sort of issues these trucks had, aside from the factory TTB. Thanks

jeepingpw
09-10-2006, 09:28 AM
I had a '86 with the 6.9, good truck. First thing I did was straight pipe it. Gained 10mph on the hill going home. After about 250,000 kms the injector pump usually goes & I had some valve issues. I was getting 15mpg with a 8' Myers plow & a camperette on it. Sold it & bought a '95 Power Stroke, way more power, but could only get 12mpg. Also every time something went wrong with it, had to go to Ford because of all the computer crap. Would still like to get an '80's diesel truck & shorten the frame for a Bronco body[36]

tenpack
09-10-2006, 02:25 PM
ive been reading up on the navistars, they arent rocket ships but they seem like a fairly good non-turbo diesel. This truck has new injector o rings, all new rear brakes, a tight front end. Gonna hopefully take a gander at it tuesday. The owner said it was really good on fuel in teh city, but on the highway its not teh greatest.

jeepingpw
09-11-2006, 11:58 AM
after reading your description of years, heres alittle more I was told . A good guy to ask is Barry's Diesel in Winfield. This is what he told me a few years back, hope memory doesn't fail:D

88 -93, non-turbo 7.3L
7.3L is better than the 6.9 as the pistons are oil cooled.
6.9 can be made to produce more power than 7.3, He told me why but I forget.

94, 7.3
same engine as before, but factory turbo. No computer crap yet.

Some where along these years the injector pump was changed.

95, 7.3 Power Stroke, computer pain in the ass to work on. Has glow plugs plus a heater in the fuel filter. When I had mine, it was hard to start , took it to Ford & the little heater & relay were shot. $600.00 later it was fine.

I would like to find a '94 write off & put a Bronco body on it.
Anyone know of a wreck?