PDA

View Full Version : Timing question

Pudge
09-05-2006, 09:09 AM
So, I put a rebuilt head and new cam in the Runner (85 RE). Question is, how do I set the timing? In the manual and under the hood it says to disconnect the vaccuum advance on the early model or disconnect the T connector and run a jummper wire between the 2 connections. Sounds simple enough, BUUUTTT, where the f@#k is the T connector?????????

Now I'm pretty sure it is the timing but the sympon is... it starts up and runs fine, but if you throttle up, it starts to stumble and pop and fart (not really a back fire, but no power if you were to drive it) and don't idle good under load, till higher rpm. Although idles nice at idle???

Any advice would be appreciated.[cheers]

Also good thing I decided to replace my inner axle seals. There was mostly greasy liquid inside my birfs, and a milky fluid inside my diff!![27] Looks like the I caught it just in time, appears my birfs and my bearings will be fine, after a repack, and inner & outer seals.[15]

Toyquad
09-05-2006, 09:29 AM
on my 87 there is a little diagnostic plug by the fuse box under the hood. On my other 87 there isnt one of those things..... i think thats where u jump the t connector.

anyways..... i just hooked up the timming light, and set the timming to whatever the book says to..... then i bumped it up a couple degree's. hahaha

Pudge
09-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Hmmm, that is where a friend with an 89 said it was, but he looked and under my hood is different????? Also I got a Colt cam, I talked with the owner of Colt and he suggested and extra 2 degrees over stock.

Toyquad
09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
also are you 100% sure the timming marks on the cam and crank are lined up?

Pudge
09-05-2006, 09:47 AM
yep, double checked at install ( I had somebody with brains help me, lol)

Toyquad
09-05-2006, 09:53 AM
and distributor is in right spot?? valves alll adjusted properly?

Pudge
09-05-2006, 10:01 AM
as far as I know. My buddy Vince did most of the work, and he's experianced. It wouldn't fire right away either, Ern & Stink actually got it running for me, now I need to fine tune it so I can airscare it.

Toyquad
09-05-2006, 10:09 AM
you got a haynes manual??? start re- checking for yourself. all this " as far as i know" doesnt really mean much , people make mistakes. Best thing to do is pull the valve cover off, make sure the timming marks line up, double check dist. is in right spot..... then go from there.... if the problem still presists, you have at least ruled out it being a timming issuse.....

Pudge
09-05-2006, 10:18 AM
When Aaron was over, we double checked timing to rule that out, as it wouldn't start, but wanted to. So we double checked, spark, fuel, timing, etc...that was after Vince had already double checked and triple checked. But we did so for the reason you said, although we were sure it was done right, we had to check to rule it out as Vince wasn't with us. Biggest thing for me now is to find that stoopid T connector so's I can set the timing correctly, but having absofuckinlutely no idea what it looks like makes it a bit difficult. In the manual they tell you how to do it but not where to locate it.

super dave
09-07-2006, 08:36 AM
your biggest mistake is you got a cam from colt.....blaaaaah

FZJ80
09-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Paul : we can keep putting timing in until she starts to ping then back it out a few degrees. Won't hurt to run all the advance you can, after air scam anyway.

Big_Ern
09-07-2006, 10:07 PM
There should be a small diagnostics box next to (or attached to) the fuse box under the hood on the passenger fender. Look in the haynes manual or FSM and it will tell you which ports need to be jumpered together

Jimmie
09-10-2006, 01:47 AM
That would be true for a newer truck but he has an 85 i think its a connector on the drivers side by the coil u just jump the connector buy yeah a manual should tell u :D

Redneck_04
09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
i got an 85 and a hanes and i cant find that stupid thing anywhere eather

Pudge
09-12-2006, 08:36 AM
I thinks I found it, I'll keep ya posted. If it is the right one, it's on the drivers side fender by the coil, a yellow two pronged plug.