PDA

View Full Version : Strange wobble

4RunnerSwAY
09-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Ok, my truck has a strange wobble...(it once had a death wobble from lose shackles...but thats not the same) the truck itself doesnt bounce back and forth...but the steering wheel shakes like crazy...its actually getting quite annoying when i drive. I can still controll the truck...but obviously somethings wrong...
anyone have some imput??

Toyrantula
09-03-2006, 11:33 PM
How are the lower balljoints? Mine were toast and that in turn took out my ilder arm resulting in death wobble at speed.

4RunnerSwAY
09-04-2006, 12:05 AM
the truck doesnt bounce back and forth, its just the steering wheel, it bounces about 2 inches back and fourth

exo_toy
09-04-2006, 10:15 AM
is it when you hit small bumps in the road? or constantly wile driving? If you have a longer shackle on the front and crossover steering, it can give some wobble when you hit bumps on the road. If it is all the time, I would check your wheels for balance.

Explorer guy418
09-04-2006, 10:29 AM
check the air pressure in the tires.

Uncle_jesse
09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
whats the kingpin angle like on the front end if its not turned back enough it will do the shopping cart like shake....check the kingpin bolts too they have been known to come loose if your running hysteer

kamloopsyota
09-04-2006, 12:22 PM
ive got the same thing but itas just cause i havent balanced my tires

Ditchpig
09-04-2006, 04:11 PM
First, check the lug nuts on both tires. Don't Laugh I've seen it happen. Then check to see that your tires are balanced, then see if your steering/wheels are aligned properly.... then start moving up the list :)

MetalMan
09-04-2006, 04:47 PM
FIRST check your lug nuts...be thorough about it. Next, jack the front up and spin your tires slowly while watching the treads carefully...you may have a case of seperated tread.

the-t-man
09-04-2006, 05:34 PM
can also be the jam nuts let your tires toe in too much or back the other way, also i have had a guys truck that had the nut back off on the t-case flandge it wasent staked proper and backed off which put the funky vibes in the steering wheel he didnt notice tell it was in neutral and you could shake the d-shaft like a 1"..

Stetson
09-05-2006, 09:57 AM
ive got the same thing but itas just cause i havent balanced my tires

Same! gets a little violent at certain times. Go get your tires balanced..as for me, i just havent bothered.

4RunnerSwAY
09-05-2006, 01:44 PM
thanks guys, ill try out some of these ideas and see if anything works, ill let you know:)

whitlers
09-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Same! gets a little violent at certain times. Go get your tires balanced..as for me, i just havent bothered.

same deal with me, i haven't bothered to balance them either

polyboy
09-08-2006, 01:20 AM
do the lug nut check with a torque wrench...only did the wheel wrench thing my self in the spring and had the front wheel come off coming down the hill frrom the toll on the coquahalla

Arnee
09-10-2006, 12:43 PM
do the lug nut check with a torque wrench...only did the wheel wrench thing my self in the spring and had the front wheel come off coming down the hill frrom the toll on the coquahalla
[stupid]
I won't laugh at that becuase it happened to my uncle just at the bottom of the snow shed except he had a camper and trailer but managed to not flip it and pull of to the side of the road

4x41989
09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
it could be the tires have squared a bit cause it did it on my 4 runner and when i got new tires it was gone

ToyotaHEAD
09-17-2006, 01:10 PM
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the steering damper yet.... If this goes, it will do exactly what your describing. And just looking at it wont tell you if it is shot. Take it right off the truck, and push and pull the damper from one extreem to the other. It should be hard in both directions with no easy spots. (the easy spot usually happens near the middle and is generally where the damper is when going straight down the road.)

cruizer
09-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Ok, my truck has a strange wobble...(it once had a death wobble from lose shackles...but thats not the same) the truck itself doesnt bounce back and forth...but the steering wheel shakes like crazy...its actually getting quite annoying when i drive. I can still controll the truck...but obviously somethings wrong...
anyone have some imput??

Wow um just of the top of my head with another one of these damb toyota wobble Q's

in no specific order
tires
lugs
wheel bearings
hubs locked(even more soo when you have a locker)
lose king pins(upper, lower)
tie rods
tie rod lock nuts
steering box
steering box mount
rag joint
steering u-joint
and finally the nut behind the wheel;)

why not check a few of these before posting to narrow it down a bit...[cheers]

Hello Kitty
02-06-2007, 03:26 AM
and maybe a wheel aliginment ? which won't do fuck all if u wheel again. it'll just knock it out again.

deuce
02-06-2007, 12:36 PM
i like my death wobble it keeps people off my ass and keeps me awake on the road

fhorsley
02-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Same happened to my truck. I bent a rim and then it wobbled but a decent balancing job had it fixed temporarily.

Toy_Runner
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
i like my death wobble it keeps people off my ass and keeps me awake on the road

[stupid] mine keep's me awake at night

captain
02-23-2007, 01:06 AM
i put a new tie rod on mine and took steering stabilizer off cause it wouldnt go on the same way. fine until about 50km then death wobble... found a way to put it back on