PDA

View Full Version : nwor springs

highwaystar
08-30-2006, 08:32 AM
im thinking of ordering northwest off road heavy duty replacement springs at lunch. bad idea?

Big_Ern
08-30-2006, 09:35 AM
yes, bad idea

stay away from NWOR in general

Big_Ern
08-30-2006, 09:36 AM
are you looking for just stock replacement springs, or a bit of lift?

highwaystar
08-30-2006, 10:17 AM
I just want stock replacement springs that wont sag bad. i have shackles for the extra 1.5" of lift that i want. could i get them from napa or "shudder" lordco?

Big_Ern
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
junkyard

I would recomend making a hybrid leaf pack by adding a leaf or two from your broken pack into a stock junkyard pack to increase the load capacity if you need it. Personally I would remove the overload and replace it with a couple of leafs from your original pack -- just cut the ends off (& grind them round) to stagger them a few inches shorter then the leaf above

Big_Ern
08-30-2006, 10:35 AM
alternatively I think Downey makes some good quality stock height leafs (might be 2" lift...,not sure)

In The Zone
08-30-2006, 10:41 AM
go to a local spring shop much easier and cheaper they can add military wrap or what ever u want u get what u pay for....

B
08-30-2006, 10:41 AM
junkyard

I would recomend making a hybrid leaf pack by adding a leaf or two from your broken pack into a stock junkyard pack to increase the load capacity if you need it. Personally I would remove the overload and replace it with a couple of leafs from your original pack -- just cut the ends off (& grind them round) to stagger them a few inches shorter then the leaf above

[stupid] doing this might take u a little longer to get it set perfect ... u know a couple of trial runs for flex and lift but then u can throw away ur longer shackles as thats what will kill ur springs the fastest... [cheers]

B
08-30-2006, 10:44 AM
if u are get i.5 lift then ur shackles are 3 " longer moving the spring eye 3" down on one end will shorten the life of ur springs, any springs....

Big_Ern
08-30-2006, 10:45 AM
True, but I would probably keep the longer shackle assuming its not stupid long. The stock toy shackle is only 3-4"

5-6" is just about right IMO

highwaystar
08-30-2006, 10:48 AM
:confused: ok thx. there is no competant spring place that ive found. okanagan spring in westbank was flustered by my problem.

My shackles are 5" eye to eye.

Ive never done anything with springs but may have to try the junkyard hybrid i guess

B
08-30-2006, 10:52 AM
k ... then lower the solid mount at the other end of ur frame as well ...reverse body lift pushing the susension down away from the frame the same distance as ur shackle to not kill ur leaves over and over ... saw this at the shop all the time guy buys a kit bolts it on drives around now he needs bigger tires or they rubb so he gets some gay big ass shackles bolts em on... 2 months later hes rubbing the tires again cuase the springs worn out ... its not as bad when u have less weight as in erns application ... WHAT BODY :D [5] ... BUT WHY DO THINGS OVER AND OVER ? sorry for yelling :D ...[cheers]

highwaystar
08-30-2006, 10:54 AM
so shackles are no good? wow. I have one more question...

are the leafs the same on each side of the truck? the junkyard said they are?

Big_Ern
08-30-2006, 10:59 AM
:confused: ok thx. there is no competant spring place that ive found. okanagan spring in westbank was flustered by my problem.

My shackles are 5" eye to eye.

Ive never done anything with springs but may have to try the junkyard hybrid i guess
its a lot easier than you would think.

-just remove the leaf packs
-unbolt the center pin
-place another leaf from you old pack on for a test fit (you'll need to cut the millitary wrap ends off first)
-mark it a few inches shorter than the one above
-cut it off & grind the edge smooth (zip disk on the grinder works fine for cutting them)
-use some c-clamps to hold the packs together and bolt the center pin back in (if its not long enough you can get a new one from any spring shop)

repeat for other side

I'm guessing that if you remove the overload you'll want to add in 2 extra leafs to regain your load capacity which is perfect since your old packs have 2 main unbroken ones. Also removing the overload will help it ride & flex better

Big_Ern
08-30-2006, 11:01 AM
k ... then lower the solid mount at the other end of ur frame as well ...reverse body lift pushing the susension down away from the frame the same distance as ur shackle to not kill ur leaves over and over ... saw this at the shop all the time guy buys a kit bolts it on drives around now he needs bigger tires or they rubb so he gets some gay big ass shackles bolts em on... 2 months later hes rubbing the tires again cuase the springs worn out ... its not as bad when u have less weight as in erns application ... WHAT BODY :D [5] ... BUT WHY DO THINGS OVER AND OVER ? sorry for yelling :D ...[cheers]

I think he should be okay without changing anything else since the shackle is only 1" longer than stock. Its only going on a toy p/u, not a heavier chevy etc

highwaystar
08-30-2006, 11:10 AM
well i cannot thank you all enough for your help. The junkyard only has one spring for some reason. [k] they said it doesnt matter what side it goes in.

I think im gonna use the stock springs, without overloads, but with add a leafs i have kicking around (that are made for the application). if that sounds decent?

i dont haul anything. its just underneith an empty toyota bed that the most weight it sees is me sleeping in it.

B
08-30-2006, 11:13 AM
true but most off the dudes w these problems were running jeeps and they can't weigh that much more than a toy ? ... and yes ur leaf packs should be the same side to side if u can build ur pac w/o useing them or go to a sissor shackle that will ride the same but open to help flex would be better ... u will also get more axle wrap from softer springs ... but 1 " longer is not the end of the world ... when one side of the spring is pushed down farther than the other u fatigue the spring faster ....

Big_Ern
08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
well i cannot thank you all enough for your help. The junkyard only has one spring for some reason. [k] they said it doesnt matter what side it goes in.

I think im gonna use the stock springs, without overloads, but with add a leafs i have kicking around (that are made for the application). if that sounds decent?

i dont haul anything. its just underneith an empty toyota bed that the most weight it sees is me sleeping in it.

what do the add-a-leafs look like? are they curved like the leaf pack? or flat like the overload?

the curved ones are better, but either way they are not really intended to be used without a load and will ride very harsh.

Also the junkyard may only have one leaf pack for 89-95 p/u, but the shorter leaves out of 79-88 will work for using to add leafs to your stock pack as the spring rate and arch is very similar

highwaystar
08-30-2006, 11:21 AM
hmm. ok well i guess i have some thinking and work to do. [31] to yall if i ever meet you guys. thx!

highwaystar
08-30-2006, 11:32 AM
the add a leafs are curved, im not sure what axelwrap is but i doubt i have enough HP to produce it [15]

B
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
lol ... axle wrap is .. rev it up dump the clutch and the rear end hops as oppossed to planting and the truck movin forward ... when ur leafs s bend apon launch ... takes out u joints quick .... [cheers]

StinkFinger
08-30-2006, 11:40 AM
i dont understand your resoning behind longer shackels being bad for the leaf in a 4x4 aplication it is almost a necesity to add a longer shackle for the leaf to preform properly

flipper
08-30-2006, 11:43 AM
I'd take big erns advice with adding the leaves to the pack, probabley under your main full length springs will help avoid sag due to longer shackels,but will help keep flex.

B
08-30-2006, 11:50 AM
one side stays the same ... ur point of where the axle is fixed to the spring is the same so force one end down and keep it there ... every time u go over anything one side is allready under more load than the other i.e. flatened out so as the axle is the pivot point u are not allowing the spring to work as it was dezined ... wearing it out faster ! ...

StinkFinger
08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
i dont follow you the force is still aplied to the center of the leaf its not like its fixed to the frame it should freely pivot at that point and at the shackle your in no way peloading either end of the spring and verry slightly redirecting the angle that the force is applied to it

B
08-30-2006, 12:25 PM
i dont follow you the force is still aplied to the center of the leaf its not like its fixed to the frame it should freely pivot at that point and at the shackle your in no way peloading either end of the spring and verry slightly redirecting the angle that the force is applied to it

true.... but not true ....
u are pre loading the spring and ok this application turns out to be one " differnt but when use a shackle with more drop than that for lift and clearance purposes it is more than "verry slightly" redirecting the angle and that force is all on the one side of ur spring...

but that leaf was not made with 2 differnt arcs ... it came with the same arc at both ends ... by lenghting the one side ... evry time it compresses and springs back u are working the spring ... if u just work one side of it, the spring will lose its ablity to return making ur springs flat ... if u want a flat spring thats fine but u will have to take wheel hop or axle wrap into account ... [cheers]

StinkFinger
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
[/COLOR]

true.... but not true ....
u are pre loading the spring
how? no more than the weight that it would otherwise suport

and ok this application turns out to be one " differnt but when use a shackle with more drop than that for lift and clearance purposes it is more than "verry slightly" redirecting the angle and that force is all on the one side of ur spring...

on a 40" long spring with a 3" longer shakle you would afect the spring angle by less than 5 degrees

but that leaf was not made with 2 differnt arcs ... it came with the same arc at both ends ... by lenghting the one side ... evry time it compresses and springs back u are working the spring ... if u just work one side of it, the spring will lose its ablity to return making ur springs flat ... if u want a flat spring thats fine but u will have to take wheel hop or axle wrap into account ... [cheers]

i dont understand how you could just be working one side of the spring as it is a constent beam with the force aplied to the middle the shackle merly compensates for the elongation of the spring as it cycles threw its travel

oh and what about a shackle flip on a truck with previously inverted shakles ths causes a minimum of 10 degrees of spring angle change with a factory length shakle so ist the factor the shakle or the spring angle ?

G-rizzle Swank
08-30-2006, 10:06 PM
i dont understand how you could just be working one side of the spring as it is a constent beam with the force aplied to the middle the shackle merly compensates for the elongation of the spring as it cycles threw its travel

oh and what about a shackle flip on a truck with previously inverted shakles ths causes a minimum of 10 degrees of spring angle change with a factory length shakle so ist the factor the shakle or the spring angle ?

stinky wins