PDA

View Full Version : 9" disc brake swaps

jeepxj89
08-29-2006, 08:21 PM
so what have you guys used for a cheap disc brake swap onto a ford 9 inch (78 bronco) ? lookin to use some kinda of caliper with a built in ebrake, or would you reccomend somthing else?

Nutbar
08-29-2006, 09:16 PM
The Ford Motorsports disc brake kit (it is the whole brake kit that they use on the Explorer 8.8 and yes it does fit the 9 in) comes with everything except the flex lines for the calipers and e brake cables and it is reasonable I think it is around $600 which isn't to bad considering it comes with everything new. They sell them at Randy's Ring and Pinion.

To by any calipers that I have looked at with an E brake crank built into it runs around $100 - $150 each

85_GMC_4x4
08-29-2006, 10:01 PM
I dont have much info, but wanted to suggest you check out what the classic mustang guys are doing...

crimsen
08-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I dont have much info, but wanted to suggest you check out what the classic mustang guys are doing...

are the mustangs not running the small bearings most of the time, and not the large like in the bronco's and PU's ?

jeepxj89
08-30-2006, 03:59 AM
yea mustangs have the smallbearings , i got a big bearing 31 spline. anyways i was lookin around and found some info on pirate about using subaru calipers with zuk rotors and you make your own caliper bracket. also found a thread about using f-150 rotors with 1/2 T chev calipers but you gotta turn down part of axleshaft. the whole kit sounds nice but i cant afford 600 for brakes lol i DO drive a jeep :P can get a set of subaru calipers w/ ebrakes for 25$ from some guy on the "other" site. ill see if i can go the zuk rotors subaru caliper way...

85_GMC_4x4
08-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Not all mustangs run the small bearing 9". Tho most do...
There's still a tonne of info from the mustang crowd tho... alot of them have swapped to the large bearing units.