PDA

View Full Version : It came from Ontario...

Lost_in_BC
08-28-2006, 07:53 PM
After my last visit at the City Q, I flew back east, to visit my wife, and bring a truck out so I could do some exploring/wheeling here in BC.

As I started working on my samurai, it became obvious that it had been sitting too long, and I would be spending most of my holidays fixing rusted out brake & fuel lines, and trying to get the emissions within Ontario specs.

To make a long story short, I got a good deal on a 94 tracker with only 127,000 km's on it. We took it for a couple of short road trips, and this morning started driving from Hamilton, Ontario to Lillooet BC...

The first couple of pics are
-leaving at "O_dark hundred
Waiting for the ferry to Manatoulin Island (two hour ferry trip)
Couple of scenes from Manatoulin Island..

G-rizzle Swank
08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
nice pics

Lost_in_BC
08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
really neat metal sculptures in the village of Massey,
wood carvings in Sault SteMarie
Weather forcasting on the North Shore of Lake Huron
and the Big Goose in Wawa...
Tomorrow is the drive to Kenora, and then finally into Manitoba,
we are hoping to be in Lillooet for Friday of this week...

bakelite
08-28-2006, 08:11 PM
cool adventure...have a safe fun trip [cheers]

Lost_in_BC
08-28-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that it takes over 20 hours of driving to get out of Ontario !
- you can't really see it in the first pic, but reg. gas was selling for 85 cents a litre this morning in Hamilton, after driving 1000 km today, we paid 1.05 outside of Wawa...:eek:

Flashless
08-28-2006, 08:12 PM
great pics!! have a great trip back!!

kamloopsyota
08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
great pics and drive safe

Mudgirl
08-28-2006, 08:15 PM
great pics
take lots o pics on the way back pls

Lost_in_BC
08-28-2006, 08:21 PM
:D Thanks !
The digi cam is going as fast as the batteries can handle, The piss off is there isn't enough time to do a lot of sight seeing along the way... if we stopped to look at half the places we want to, this trip would take a month ![27]
I'm going to try and stay at motels with HiSpeed internet so I can upload some pics each night...[cheers]

shelizard
08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
looks like that horse has been sitting around a bit too long too

Blue coyote
08-28-2006, 08:28 PM
You drove right past the house I grew up in (after "I" left Hamilton myself).

Damn, if I'd caught ya sooner, I'd have gotten ya to snap a pic on the way by (inside of the second corner north of Wiarton) :)

Enjoy the drive!

showoff
08-28-2006, 09:55 PM
i've grown up just east of wawa in a town called Manitouwadge. If you drive by hwy 614 on hwy 17 you will see a giant ski doo and a quad the they just put up last year

Toy_Runner
08-28-2006, 09:58 PM
hahaha [15][15][15][15] i love the weather rock

Larry
08-28-2006, 10:42 PM
nice pics, im from shelbourne area in ontario

ri0
08-28-2006, 11:19 PM
looks like an awsome road trip

cool photo's of the metal brawd

Taz Jeep
08-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Cool, keep us posted [cheers]

szabotage
08-29-2006, 09:19 AM
nice pics! too bad you can't stick around for long weekend, me and some buds are running the quinns in calabogie. looking for a float plane that crashed into the trees. if you change yer mind, turn around and join us!

Lost_in_BC
08-29-2006, 08:49 PM
A few more pix for today... 1800km done, almost out of Ontario [27] We're in Dryden tonight...
Last night we were in White River, - Starting point of the Winnie the Pooh story, From there we were on to Manitouwadge (thanks showoff !)
Lots of signs warning about moose on the highway, (haven't seen any wildlife other than Ravens and roadkill since we've been travelling...)
Stopped at the Aguasabon river gorge for a few minutes,
Made it to Thunder Bay, and a statue of a Coquitlam Native...
and stopped at Kakabeka falls,
travelled into the Arctic Watershed, and passed into a new time zone,
Big mosquitoes in Upsala, and finally,
Sunset in Wabigoon...

Lost_in_BC
08-29-2006, 08:59 PM
:mad: Sorry Szabotage...:mad: couldn't hang around any longer, I'm hoping to do some wheeling in / around Lillooet on the longweekend[36]

Larry and Blue Coyote... Hey ! it's great to hear from some Ontarioans...
Sorry, no pix from the Bruce Peninsula, a) it was dark, b) it was pretty much solid fog for 2hours, all the way from Guelph up to Lions Head....

It's hard to stay on schedule... the mileage guestimates are slipping a bit, and we were hoping to only travel in daylight hours - can't do much sight seeing after dark ![16]

The trucks working great, <knock on wood> first thing I'm going to do is get rid of the graphics on the side, the Teal and pink stripes are soooo[35]

showoff
08-29-2006, 09:00 PM
too bad you don't have more time as there is so much to see along the north shore of Ontario. and the moose on the loose is called eliot the moose. have a good one. p.s. we did Gaspe quebec to poco bc in 72 hrs and only one ticket in ontario

Lost_in_BC
08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow... 72 hours... that must have been a real case of numb bum... :D
Yeah, the whole thing with this trip is just how nice it would have been to have a ton more time... I could see a cross Canada trip taking a whole summer to do...[cheers] we are trying to average 1000k + /day, and we only saw 2 OPP cruisers hiding in the bushes waiting to hand out prizes for the fastest driver on Hwy 17 - it's definitely not us, the tracker really sips gas at 95-100 kph, and for the most part, that's where all the traffic is cruising at too...

JIMR
08-29-2006, 09:16 PM
NICEPICS ...IAM FROM LONDON ONT.....have a good trip bro:)

sj-x 500
08-29-2006, 09:19 PM
my dad has done kamloops to sheerbrooke in 48. no stops other then gas

Shera
08-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Good pictures, keep them coming for some of us have not travelled that far [made it to Edmonton once ] do all our exploring in bc because there is so much to see] our daughter has a sidekick and its amasing now good on gas compared to our full size trucks

HEAVY METAL
08-30-2006, 06:46 AM
my dad has done kamloops to sheerbrooke in 48. no stops other then gas

oh yeah.. well my dad can beat up your dad...

Lost_in_BC
08-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the good comments... don't worry, the pictures are getting closer to BC...[36]
Today was a pedal to the metal day, trying to get some more distance done during daylight hours...
We left Dryden this morning, (It's just like Mackenzie... it looks great in the rear view mirror...)
Made it to the Manitoba border, sorry Manitoba, I'm sure there is lots to see and do, just not much is on the TransCanada, we'll have to go back for another visit someday... - All those stories about prairie provinces are true...
Flat, flat, and more flat (and really windy too...)
It took about 6 hours to cross all of Manitoba (Stopping for pix at the halfway point East-West of Canada) and we finally made it into Saskatchewan, Found a grain elevator to take some pics of, took a scenic detour up the Qu'Appelle valley, and finally ran out of daylight about 40kms east of Regina...

Mudgirl
08-30-2006, 10:06 PM
i really like that last pic

went thru sask couldn't believe how fricken flat it was

Lost_in_BC
08-30-2006, 10:14 PM
This is the first time we have driven across Canada, I've been flying back and forth from Ontario to BC a lot in the last year, It's quite different doing it on the ground, I'm sure after I've done this first trip I could speed non-stop from one end of the country to the other, but then... why would you want too?
There is so much to see and do, and I feel a little more "Canadian" for being able to say I have spent the time it takes to drive all the way. The hardest part is balancing sidetrips or detours with how much extra time it will take to get out west. I think we are going to detour tomorrow and go by the small town in Sask. where they shoot "Corner Gas"... just because...[cheers]

MUD CHILD
08-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Nice pics guys keep them coming. Have a safe trip[cheers]

Lost_in_BC
08-30-2006, 10:18 PM
When we crossed into Sask. we stopped at the tourist info centre, and the people there told us about the Qu'Appelle valley, It added about 45mins to the time to get to Regina, but it was a nice change to see the river and lakes hiding such a short distance from the TransCanada, and all the small ponds and stuff were a surprise too.

showoff
08-31-2006, 12:53 AM
if you can check out drumheller,alberta awsome have a safe drive over the top

Punk in Drublic
08-31-2006, 12:12 PM
We left Dryden this morning, (It's just like Mackenzie... it looks great in the rear view mirror...)

thanx, i just got dispatched for two weeks there. and I start on my BIRTHDAY[27]

degryse
08-31-2006, 02:23 PM
looks like your having a fun trip so far. i like the pics, reminds me of the many trips i took with my family to toronto. also did a trip in my dads old s10 to regina, its very flat out there but had a beautiful view as your pictures show. anyways have a safe trip and keep the pics coming!

Lost_in_BC
08-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Another day on the road... another couple of provinces under our belt...
Left Regina this morning,
Did I mention Saskatchewan is flat ?
made a detour to go through the town of Rouleau,
guess whats there - [36]
Then we kept going to the Claybanks National historic site...
A brick factory that was in operation from early in the 1900's
big old 3cyl diesel ran all the machinery in the plant
Then we got going again and made it to Moose Jaw,
(Guess what they had outside the visitor centre...)
Continued on down Hwy 1 and saw the windmills at Gull Lake,
Then stopped at the side of the road to take some pix of an awesome rainbow,
(Kelly wonders how we ever manage to cover any distance with me stopping to take pix all the time[27] )
finally we made it to the Alberta Border,
We are taking the southern route, and going over the crowsnest pass...
before the light completely died, I managed to get a shot of -
Pinto McBean at Bow Island...

Thats it for tonight, we're in Lethbridge, and will be heading for Fernie, and the Okanagan tomorrow...

Lost_in_BC
08-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Mackenzie is not that bad Punk in Drublic...
[f] Nope... I'm pulling your leg... It's worse...[f]
I was up there for three stints this winter, about 2 weeks each in Dec, Jan and March, 2 weeks only felt like a month, actually they went by much slower...
We joked that all you had to do was visit Mackenzie once, take the picture of the biggest tree crusher in the world, and then you could cross Mackenzie off the list of places you had to visit...
If it helps, I'll share my pic of the crusher with you,
But I'm sure who ever is responsible for sending you to Mackenzie will want you to see it for yourself...[15] [15] [15] [15]
at least I didn't have to feed any mosquitoes !

Flashless
08-31-2006, 11:42 PM
great pics !! looks like you are having a great trip!!

keep the pictures coming!!!!

Mudgirl
08-31-2006, 11:45 PM
[stupid] have a safe drive