PDA

View Full Version : lift a heep

gumboot
08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
aight, so a guy at my work has a 1990 TJ? i think, it's bone stock and he wants to lift it a little so he can fit bigger tires. What is the biggest he can go without major mods? maybe a body lift, or are there any cheap suspension lifts available? just lookin to fit 31's or so I guess. Anyways, any info would be good, thanks.

Also, anyone have some good used tires of that size with rims for sale? nothing that'll wear too fast as it will be mostly pavement pounding. He'll prob only wheel it when i drag his ass out.

jakerngr
08-28-2006, 07:49 PM
shackles... it would be a yj if a 90 i think

Tunabomber
08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
check my post " question" and just bite the bullet and spend a little money
it will b worth it .
if you want cheap go body lift bout 250 bucks
if you want cheap go to gemini and get their 4'' rough country susp lift 800 bucks .

but i recomend spend the money and dont get the cheap lift like i did[27]

a good lift is the rubicon 4.5 about 1300 bucks aprox[36]

jeepxj89
08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
yea id second not cheaping on the lift. quality over quantity for what its going to be used for

Chewtoy
08-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Yup, the extra couple hundy will be money well spent everytime you go over a bump. Some of us have learned the hard way on this one.

DirtyComanche
08-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Pfft. Never spend money that you don't have to. And if you do have it, spend it on booze, hookers, and blow.

Hockey pucks make great poor boy body lifts. Longer bolts required. I recommend trimming some fenders while you're at it.

Longer shackles are also easy/cheap on those crappy YJ things. Don't work too well though. You can really poor boy it and buy some 1.5x.250 FB and drill a couple holes in it. Ideally you could weld and actually make them not crap.

Or you could bastardize all of the leaf packs using various donor packs (S-10s, dakota, etc) with more positive arch. Also very cheap. Sometimes free (find somebody throwing away stock packs).

And ditch all those track/anti-sway bars and other BS. Get a ZJ pitman arm and press it on in place of yours. Should work alright.

But, I've never owned a YJ, and if I ever do it's going to get some serious hacking, so who knows.

And if he's only looking to fit 31's, they should fit with the stock wheels...

sj-x 500
08-30-2006, 10:13 PM
cheap lift? can't you do a shackle reversal? or... spring over axle relocation?

DirtyComanche
08-30-2006, 10:17 PM
cheap lift? can't you do a shackle reversal? or... spring over axle relocation?

He wants to fit 31's. Which will fit stock with a little trimming...

SOA will give him enough to fit 37's.

And no, the shackles are amazingly already the right way.

Explorer guy418
09-07-2006, 07:13 AM
yj do a spring over for cheap
tj do 2'' coil spacers.