PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy 87 ..Help>>>

Shera
08-25-2006, 08:36 AM
I got a new engine about 4months ago ,but now having problems with it running proper , mechanically everything checked out okay, but never again will I buy another vehicle with a computer , any ways it still as a bit of rough idle when at a light , and if you boot it when you are doing 50-60 km the engine pings than goes and engine light comes on still [ we just had the knock senor and something else replaced because it was booging and had no response when you tried to excel at low speeds ] also has new distributor , new lead wires [good ones] new spark plugs , new gas filter and pump[just incase that was the problem which we did ourselves]also small value behind cylinder 8 was cracked so replaced, we have had perform X in New west working on it alot and several people have recommend that they are good but I am starting to get fustrated and the bills keep adding up , the place I got the engine rebuilt are very good and have said if its anything mechanical they will cover but everything seems to be electrical, then to finish things off this morning took truck to work and backed up and dented the back panel[27]

redman
08-25-2006, 10:11 AM
youll get it fixed it just annoying when things dont go right.

hang in there

In The Zone
08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Deb sounds like a emmisions problem throughin git in to a limp mode...

had the same problem with my 97 took it to dealer they scan for codes fixed what they said uit was still not right

so old school diagnosed it with a multi meter checking voltage signals and feed back to computer turned out to be a easy 30.00 fix

of course i will never go back to the dealer.... disconnect the battery clear the codes then run it again if codes come back have Ken check for loose or unplugged connections on ALL emisions stuff.

obdII systems require at least 3x key on key off after codes are cleared..

for ta reoccuring fault to trip check engine light for sensor and emmisions crap....

oops reread u might have obd 1 u can use a analog meter and count the sweeps

or use a digi and watch for voltage...sig or use a touble light between the diagnostic connector and a ground.. light will flash out a sequence to read codes..

Shera
08-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks dan will get Ken to try that , we haven't gone to a GM dealer yet , but at Perform X they said the code was 42 which is spark plug circuit , Ken even took out the egr value and tested it and it look good .

pumpkin
08-25-2006, 01:49 PM
You can bring it to me in sept, after my holidays. I can fix it.

Crashmaster
08-25-2006, 07:42 PM
restricted vacuum advance line? carbon clogged at the carb mabey, can't vent vacuum fast enough.

I'll assume that new dist came with a new vacuum advance dashpot and moving parts and ignition module too.

goodluck

stuckle
08-25-2006, 07:51 PM
i have a computer to plug it into... and the knowledge to fix it... i know that tbi setup in and out

where are you guys? if you brought it by i could take a look. did you check the voltage coming off the TPS? cause mine did close to the same thing and it was that. Also could be the crank posision sensor that reads off the cam shaft. If they didnt replace it when the did the engine it could be faulty or in the wrong posision...

i can check all that stuff with my computer... let me know[cheers]

gordwould
08-26-2006, 12:44 AM
87 should be standard chevy plug not obd2 and it sound like a vacume issue more than electronic if i could take a look at it and check codes and reset the ccc if you like pm me ill look on mitchels and see what it offers for sollutions to the problems aswell [cheers]

gordwould
08-26-2006, 01:00 AM
have they checked the egr or to see if the cat is pluging up?

Shera
08-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Thanks guys ,will check this out also the old engine was burning oil so maybe the cat is clugged ,will check out this things but we are going camping this weekend and at high speeds she's good so after this weekend we will do this otherwise Bob I'll look you up ;also will let you look at the tailgate its getting worst.