PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Inspection Forms

Big_Ern
08-23-2006, 12:26 AM
A few people have asked about vehicle inspection forms to see what is needed to pass.

Here's a list kootenaycat sent me:

http://www.funinbc.com/vi/vi-scan.jpg

Here is a scan of the checklist that NSOR uses as a guildeline:

http://www.funinbc.com/vi/VICheckl_0.jpg

http://www.funinbc.com/vi/VICheckl_1.jpg

http://www.funinbc.com/vi/VICheckl_2.jpg

http://www.funinbc.com/vi/VICheckl_3.jpg

If you have any other VI realated forms please send them to me and I'll add them to this post[cheers]

Big_Ern
08-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Just added a copy of the form NSOR uses thanks to tazjeep[cheers]

Toy_Runner
08-24-2006, 08:11 PM
holy shit, hope i dont get a VI

a new car wouldnt pass

mattz
08-28-2006, 09:17 PM
ahh ya just got to find a banzai automotive shop and buy an inspection I am a vehicle inspector and I wouldnt decal my own truck.

sj-x 500
08-28-2006, 10:30 PM
a case of beer behind the seat, and most veichles will pass.

Larry
08-28-2006, 11:44 PM
a case of beer behind the seat, and most veichles will pass.

i hope so, mine goes for the inspection very soon!

4x41989
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
does anyone know of any really slack vi places. I have a 4runner that isnt in the best looking shape and i need to get it to pass.

In The Zone
09-13-2006, 04:05 PM
it depends on who is doing it

signing off somthing as road worthy

and being road worthy can be 2 different things

unless it screams unsafe most are very fair.....

ToyotaHEAD
09-20-2006, 04:02 PM
when refering to "most" vehicals VI's are a joke! Its nothing more than a government scam! As "most" vehicals would never pass and or just let though.

now when it comes to a modified 4x4, your surely gonna take it in the dumper! The officer can say whatever he wants and you HAVE to take it. He doesnt even have to know his arsehole from his elbow. And get this... Even if you do go and get ur vehical VI'd AND PASSED, as soon as u roll out the VI'ing shops door, you can be issued another VI!

ITS ALL BS, and the vehicals that truely shouldnt be on the road rarely ever get sighted.

ARGH... pencil pushing burracadic (sp?) propaganda! F*** it ticks me right off!

CITYSLICKER
09-20-2006, 04:09 PM
[stupid] .

Metallica1
09-26-2006, 11:15 PM
wow... thats alot of shit to check...
i honestly wonder if my truck would pass... [16]
knock on wood...:eek:

flipper
10-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Hope I only run into nice copsor is that posible.

Westonian
11-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Seriously,, all my years of looking at Vehicles and then sending them to a VI guy brakes need to be measured to spec, front end tight, no rust holes in the frame, and as long as you can walk past the vehicle and not snag on any rusty peaces of metal sticking out,, you should be fine I mean,, My runner Past and I used to cans of expand o foam to fill wholes,, My Vi Guy didn't care,,

As the Truck is Mechanicly sound IE Safety idtems steering brakes etc it should be good to go,, for most inspection anyway

mattz
11-05-2006, 10:15 AM
it all depends on who is signin that peice of paper and what kind of mood he/she is in

inprogress
12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
i am an inspector and even i think some of that stuff is bs.too many pieces of shit out there,if people play nice guy to me i would take it easy ,but then some people come in all pissed off at me.they don't realize that they are only hurtin themselves .

dirka dave
12-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I am a MV inspector, I have the regulations... As long as its safe that's all that matters... If you daily drive your rig then it should meet the safety standards, if you drive your rig to and from the bush, then thats another ball game.

Toy_Runner
12-05-2006, 11:00 PM
my park brake doesnt work?? is that saftey related?? just leave truck in gear

lizard
12-06-2006, 08:49 PM
what happens when u loose your brakes??

emergency saved my ass a few times

OldEnuff
12-06-2006, 09:21 PM
what happens when u loose your brakes??

emergency saved my ass a few times

I just stick my feet through the holes rusted in my floorboards and do a Flintstones stop. :D

HEAVY METAL
12-06-2006, 09:22 PM
i could totally see that jim....

drknyght
12-27-2006, 01:08 PM
does a front line lock count as an e-brake? Or does it have to be cable/mechanical?

jeepxj89
01-30-2007, 05:21 PM
does a front line lock count as an e-brake? Or does it have to be cable/mechanical?

my guess would be cable or mechanical because the point of having an emergency brake is so you can stop if your regualr brakes fail. if a line goes and theres no fluid being pushed around, how will your line lock work?

kootenaycat
01-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Can't recall if there's anything about linelock in the regs, but if you have modified the hydraulic system, and it can easily be seen by an inspector, they may fail it. Just make sure it's out of sight.

It can't be used for an emergency brake.

cruizer
01-30-2007, 09:44 PM
line lock is apart of you primary braking circuit and an e-brake is secondary...so no

mqhoon
03-12-2007, 01:35 PM
You guys have it easy over here, back in Sydney where i came from we need an inspection every year, 35" tyres on 10" rims are the biggest allowed, and the car must be passed just to drive it on the road by an automotive engineer if its been modified in any way, even sports seats!, and cops can defect a car on the spot any time and not let you drive it away, happens a lot too! Ive only been here little while and cant wait to build a truck!

shawn_ruley
06-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Rob at Car Craft Automotive in Winfield is the only place I take my vehicles to.
Hes done inspections on two of my cars so far and he is absolutely professional about his work.
He always checks the brakes, lights, signals, gives the interior and engine bay a quick once over, and goes through the undercairrage to make sure that the frame is all good.
would definetely reccomend him to anyone needing a VI:rockhorns:

t dogg
06-24-2007, 05:32 PM
the list is interesting but i was wondering if i need bump stops or not??? any one know?

chevy69chevelle
07-05-2007, 09:37 PM
haha my truck passed :P but i probably shouldn't have

Foes
07-06-2007, 03:01 PM
the list is interesting but i was wondering if i need bump stops or not??? any one know?

yes you do, that was on the list of reasons why I failed
[cheers]

factor
07-06-2007, 06:07 PM
i would only fail in 6 things so it still good

shortshift
10-29-2007, 12:48 AM
yeah... those are fun.. and t dogg.. i dont think ive seen someone worry over a little thing like bump stops lol but everything has to work.. which almost every vehicle on the road doesnt pass without needing something unless its less than 4 or 5 years old

78bronco
10-29-2007, 02:12 AM
how bad is it that my bumper wont be even close to 22"s off the ground on my bronco but I meat all othe regs?

ktowner351
12-15-2007, 11:15 AM
ive gotta get my inspection done now too for my 87 toy.... only problem is my alternator just conked out on me.. anyone know where abouts i can locate a cheep used one just to get me through the inspection? lol thats all it needs to do cause right after that im pluckin out and in goes the 351[36]

ktowner351
12-15-2007, 01:55 PM
also does anybody know what the regulations are for the rear bumper if u have a flatbed????

SuperIanMechanic
12-31-2007, 11:07 AM
<----- also an inspector , and i agree with in progress , build em right , build em safe and everyone wins , we are only tryin to make the roads safe for everyone

SuperIanMechanic
12-31-2007, 11:10 AM
remeber it really doesn't matter what you add as long as it works properly , and ya don't start taking original equipment off ya should be fine

dirka dave
12-31-2007, 11:37 AM
I am an "V.I. guy" also, Most of the rigs in Ridge are for the most part "safe".
Mud flaps, wheel bearings, steering and lights will keep you from being a random target.

SuperIanMechanic
12-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Actually the wack is pretty good too , most are height or lite violations

RAW
01-20-2008, 03:31 AM
I am looking for a VI guy in Vancouver area... will drive as far as Chilliwack. 2005 Blazer/w Toyota Suspension. Here are a few shots for you... Need inspection on Tires, suspension, brakes, and steering.

http://washingtonpropertyguide.com/blazer/blazer007.jpg

http://washingtonpropertyguide.com/blazer/blazer008.jpg

http://washingtonpropertyguide.com/blazer/blazer016.jpg

http://washingtonpropertyguide.com/blazer/blazer017.jpg

http://washingtonpropertyguide.com/blazer/blazer018.jpg

SuperIanMechanic
02-10-2008, 12:28 PM
wow nice rig

kwast
02-19-2008, 11:56 AM
wow nice rig

I agree! very nice!

RAW
02-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Thx! It sure is fun to drive...

regulate34
02-19-2008, 09:59 PM
i wonder if i can g4t issued a vi if i am towing my truck not on a trailer

regulate34
02-19-2008, 10:05 PM
whats the restrition for tires sticking out on the sides

paul jr
06-20-2008, 07:10 PM
for what its worth ..the only way my last truck would pass was to duck tape the rust hole in the fender........soooo wat the fuckgo fuck yourself to the fuckin VI....ONE MORE MONEY GRAB...what gas isent enough to bankrupt us....oh and air scare......don't get me started....deep breath ...........sip o beer ......one quick puff................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuck it....you know just sayin

m j
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Modified vehicle page, definitions, links to forms, etc
http://www.icbc.com/registration/reg_spec_veh_mod_veh.asp

application to register a Modified Vehicle form
http://www.icbc.com/insurance/pdf/MV1437web1.pdf

application for BC Assigned VIN
http://www.icbc.com/registration/pdf/mv1325.pdf

Ubilt vehicle page, definitions, link to forms ,etc
http://www.icbc.com/registration/reg_spec_veh_ublt.asp

Happypants
04-02-2009, 11:33 PM
i`ll also put up a inspection form since they now do it online and shit too for anyone they can print it off and go over there vehicle prior to taking it in

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/whitetrashxj/IMG_0841-1.jpg

toyota81freak
04-03-2009, 06:37 AM
do you have to have a catalytic converter?? im in the interior, and dont have aircare, is it still mandatory? took it out for higher flow when i got it built. :confused0006:

kootenaycat
04-04-2009, 12:00 AM
do you have to have a catalytic converter?? im in the interior, and dont have aircare, is it still mandatory? took it out for higher flow when i got it built. :confused0006:

Still mandatory on '87 and newer even out of the lower mainland. Why is that a safety item I'll never know. [16] The good thing is you can gut it and I would still pass it on a VI. :D

kozak
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Still mandatory on '87 and newer even out of the lower mainland. Why is that a safety item I'll never know. [16] The good thing is you can gut it and I would still pass it on a VI. :D
Thats good to know, as I have done that with mine. Was wondering if I would somehow get snagged for that.

kootenaycat
04-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Thats good to know, as I have done that with mine. Was wondering if I would somehow get snagged for that.

You would pass the VI if you have a Cat that is gutted, but air care will be another thing. :D

toyota81freak
04-20-2009, 01:42 PM
perfect, soo the old 81 will be fine without a cat, 0k, now on to the bigger, more work problems.... :confused0006:

Greentoylet
05-29-2009, 08:08 PM
damn it got a vi yesterday so time to put on the tcase brake and reverse lights and license plate lights. will i fail if i dont have me tranny inspection cover on?

Troy
05-29-2009, 09:57 PM
damn it got a vi yesterday so time to put on the tcase brake and reverse lights and license plate lights. will i fail if i dont have me tranny inspection cover on?

how'd it go down?

kootenaycat
05-30-2009, 12:05 AM

What's a t-case brake? You mean driveshaft brake? What is it - bigger then a 1 ton chassis? Only seen them on motorhomes and bigger.

As for the tranny inspection cover, I wouldn't care. Can't see how that is going to effect the safety of the vehicle. Though I'm sure there's a few inspectors out there who would try to pick it apart.

dano51
09-24-2009, 12:50 AM
when refering to "most" vehicals VI's are a joke! Its nothing more than a government scam! As "most" vehicals would never pass and or just let though.

now when it comes to a modified 4x4, your surely gonna take it in the dumper! The officer can say whatever he wants and you HAVE to take it. He doesnt even have to know his arsehole from his elbow. And get this... Even if you do go and get ur vehical VI'd AND PASSED, as soon as u roll out the VI'ing shops door, you can be issued another VI!

ITS ALL BS, and the vehicals that truely shouldnt be on the road rarely ever get sighted.

ARGH... pencil pushing burracadic (sp?) propaganda! F*** it ticks me right off!ya

RAW
09-24-2009, 08:15 AM
And they wonder why they are called PIGS and are given no or little respect. The cops here in Vancouver are the worst I have ever had to deal with.
What a horrible job they must have... get under paid to be the cities BITCH! YAY that sounds like fun.

For all you respectful cops out there... sorry, but the rest of the sour, hating, power tripping pigs have made it this way for you.

Stupid Pigs

Honky
09-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Don't hold back lets us how you really feel :D

JohnE
12-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Vi's are very simple Is is safe for the road.
Im an inspector as well and generally you can interpet the regulations in many way and there are all kinds of sub text regarding modifications althought the fines facing inspectors and the shops they work out of are enough to keep It in line,(I think) well I don't want to get caught passing something that is not legit.

deer laredo
12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Cant have a rip in the seats. no cracked windshields...

Preacher
11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I know mine would fail for the windshield (greater than 6" crack), rust in the box, and no cats...
Whats the story on the "Modified suspension greater than 4"" though?

Vastier
04-08-2012, 10:17 PM
whats the restrition for tires sticking out on the sides

From the motor vehicle act regulations:

Mudguards
7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mud flaps.

There is nothing stating anywhere about the coverage of the flares although I've heard cops like to say the tires have to be completely covered but I'd like to see where they get their info from. The way I read it is "the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized". So if my tires are sticking out say 2" and my flares are covering 6", then I have "minimized" the splash of water and mud. As far as mud flaps go it's a grey area... Mudflaps fall under the category Mudgaurds. The inspection guys say you need them because it's on their list of items to check however if you read the act, it states "and, if necessary, mud flaps." (to minimize the spray and splash of water and mud.)... So the statement "if necessary" leaves a question and is not "mandatory".
edit: just came across the "grey area" that causes some confusion:
19.03 (1) No person shall drive or operate on a highway

(a) a vehicle equipped with solid tires, the thickness of which between the rim of the wheel and the surface of the highway is less than 32 mm, or
(b) a vehicle having wheels, tires or tracks constructed or equipped with projecting spikes, cleats, ribs, clamps, flanges, lugs or other attachments or projections, which extend beyond the tread or traction surface of the wheel,

So if your lugs are in contact with the road then you're ok on this point.
Any other opinions on how this law reads?

Happypants
04-09-2012, 08:40 AM
I know mine would fail for the windshield (greater than 6" crack), rust in the box, and no cats...
Whats the story on the "Modified suspension greater than 4"" though?

I've auctially gotten away
With telling the cop that my truck only had a 4" lift, and he asked me
What size tires were on it, I told him 34" lol, when there auctially 36", told him I was running narrow rims so they look taller and he bought it lol

Ariel
12-10-2013, 09:57 PM
i am an inspector and even i think some of that stuff is bs.too many pieces of shit out there,if people play nice guy to me i would take it easy ,but then some people come in all pissed off at me.they don't realize that they are only hurtin themselves .

Hey there, I'm Ariel I live in Abbotsford too and just got served an inspection order on my 91 ranger for a busted park brake....I need to fix the park brake which is fine but don't want to get caught out on a million things if possible on such an old truck so I was wondering if you's be interested in helping me out....other than the park brake the truck drives fine

Happypants
12-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Did u get a notice and order to fix your park brake? Or did you get a box 2 vehicle inspection? If you got a notice & order to fix your park brake, then fix the park brake, and Goto the cop shop and show the cop that you fixed it and they will sign off on it,

But if u got a box 2 VI, then take your truck in and find out if u pass or not lol, basically the main thing, mudflaps, flairs that cover your WHOLE tire, and basically anything that's loose (ujoints,tie rods,balljoints) shit like that, replace them before u go for the VI, and if ur truck is lifted, don't tell them it's taller tha. A 4" lift, lol, and hopefully your winshield isn't cracked, if it is, u will need a new one, (obviously)

Ariel
12-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Sadly it's an inspection order, I've just had the truck checked by my mechanic and there's a few other things I need to fix too which is no problem, u joint, brake rotor ect the real thing I guess I was hoping to find out is does anyone know of a good place in Abbotsford to get an inspection? I'm just hoping to find someone who isn't too harsh on the inspection as long as all my safety features are working, It's a pretty old truck and by the looks of the list they could probably find a million stupid things to make me fix if they looked hard enough.

Happypants
12-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure if they are still around but smart care automotive down by replay skateboards used to do VI inspections and they were pretty good, just make
Sure you wash the truck before u go as well lol

bjo44
12-11-2013, 02:42 PM
What if your whole tire sticks out passed the fender...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Happypants
12-11-2013, 07:24 PM
What if your whole tire sticks out passed the fender...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lol, then your FUUUCKED! Hahah

78bronco
12-11-2013, 10:04 PM
lol, then your FUUUCKED! Hahah

bawhahahahahaha i am in the same boat but i only have 6" lift sir

Happypants
12-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I thought that you sold it?? Or.....DO U STILL HAVE IT!?!?

Ariel
12-15-2013, 02:06 PM
So i gotta get my truck booked in for the inspection in the next few days, anyone have any other suggestions on where good place to go might be?

Happypants
12-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Wherever u go for ur inspection, if u fail it, fix what they told u to fix and make sure u go back to the same one,

4skin
09-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Bump some good info old but most will still apply

beeker
01-12-2016, 11:32 PM
stay away from smart care he s getting sued for a few reasons I wont mention