PDA

View Full Version : thinking of a cherokee

jeep-neil
08-17-2006, 11:08 PM
im thinking about buying a cherokee, i want a 4dr with a 5speed. i was wondering if anyone knows of things that i should watch out for. thanks for any info

DirtyComanche
08-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Pretty much everything.

What's your plans? 31s? Or a real build?

jeep-neil
08-17-2006, 11:13 PM
well eventually i would like to do nice build start with33s then eventually build it to handle 35s.

DirtyComanche
08-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Okay, if you get one with the D35 rear, it'll hardly hold up to 31s, much less 33s. So, look for a 87-89 with a D44 rear. Or say fuck that (they're rare) and get one with a D35 and swap in an 8.8 or isuzu 12B or bloody toyota axles or something.

Also, the D30 front won't really hold 33's that well, depending who they talk to. They won't hold 35s, don't bother trying. Thus you have to swap in a new front axle which causes lots of problems.

IMHO, you might as well buy the biggest POS you can find, swap in a Toyota 8" rear, Isuzu 12B, or a GM 14-bolt semi-float. Then swap a wagoneer D44 in the front. All the bolt patterns on those axles are chevy/toy 6-bolt, which is easy to find 15" or 16" rims for, and thus tires.

As far as what you want to but otherwise, you want a 4.0L motor, and you probably want a AX-15 tranny (mid 89+). With a 5-speed you will get the NP231 tcase automatically, it's alright.

Look for no rust, to little rust. Check the unibody, praticularily near the control arm hangers and the steering box. Make sure there's no cracks or bad rusting. Drive it, see if it wanders or shakes. Open all the doors and close them, roll up and down all windows, try all the electrical. If possible drive it a bit in the rain and see if it leaks.

That about covers it, unless I forgot shit.

jeep-neil
08-17-2006, 11:29 PM
k thanks for the heads up on things i appreciate it all

girlcrazy_4
08-18-2006, 01:19 AM
When I got my jeep, I had the choice of a lifted XJ, 32's, nice minty paint, no rust, no power options except seats/ac... but had a knock on the top end. Engine was greasy as fuck and was beat pretty badly from the owner. The jeep I got had sagging leafs, rust on the paint, no knocks or other uncommon sounds. Kind of a toss-up but i'm happy with what I got. I cant say that I wanted to drop a engine into a jeep.